What's new

Why King C DE Will Fizzle in the USA

I don't know that it will fizzle when people look at the cost of carts vs the cost of DE blades. The cart makers get you by selling you the razor at a loss and then making money on replacement carts.
It amazes me that some wetshavers seem to be hoping that the King C fails because they are still mad that Gillette hurt their feelings in an ad.

Raven Koenes

My precious!

The number 144000 is not meant to e taken literally but is a symbolic figure that is meant to represent all of God's people throughout history - 12 tribes of Israel (old testament) x 12 apostles x 1000.
I just thought that Dutch Calvinists want to belong to a club that is probably too exclusive even for them.

Last edited:
Assuming 3 shaves per DE blade, and 3 shaves per cartridge, which is about what I get in each case, and 300 shaves in a year:

King C DE Blades: 300 shaves /10 blades per tuck / 3 shaves per blade = 10 tucks
$6 x 10 tucks = $60
$60.00 + $29.95 = $89.95

King C Cartridge refill: 300 shaves /4 carts per box /3 shaves per cart = 25 boxes
$9.99 x 25 boxes = $249.75
$249.75 + $9.99 = $259.74

$259.74 - $89.95 = $169.79 savings per year not using cartridges. That's a lot of beer money and I'm getting better, more comfortable shaves.
When I joined BST I had switched from cartridge to DE because I wanted to save money. I no longer care about the savings. I care about the quality of the shave and the uniqueness and history of the razor. That much fun for me makes DE more expensive than cartridge shaving and I like it. With that said, time to add another vintage.

You're thinking of steak when you should be thinking sizzle. This is a marketing analysis of the line:

The whole line is aimed at a certain kind of personality. Think maturing hipster or 30-something professional. It's not about being cheap. People whose only interest is cheap aren't going to be looking at anything from KCG, and frankly P&G likely doesn't want their business anyway. If you sell the razor too cheap, the potential buyers will likely think it's poor quality. Besides, how cheap should an 89-style razor be, anyway? They're about the same price as the EJ razors and cheaper than what Muehle asks. You can't make the cartridge handle or the cartridges too pricey, because how would it compete with the identical Fusion?

I think they're pretty much where they need to be. The DE blades are priced a dollar higher than the store brand (Personna) blades, so you would want to be around there to appear as a premium product. The only surprising thing to me is that they aren't asking another two bucks for the cartridge refills.

if you think about it you’ve just described the entire marketing demographic of badger and blade! ( no protesting, we’ve all seen the price of your toys :))

This is Life of Brian Territory.

Person 1: I think it was 'Blessed are the cheese makers.'​
Lady: What's so special about the cheese makers?​
Person 2: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.​

Revelation belongs to the apocalyptic genre and therefore it seems like an odd book to modern readers. For the 1st century Jews however, they would have understood the nature of that genre and how to read it correctly much like how we would know how to interpret contemporary literary styles instinctively due to our frequent exposure to the contemporary culture. Our modern writings may be as cryptic to a 1st century Roman or Jew as revelation can be to us!
Hence the importance of understanding he original context and literary background of the writing in order to correctly interpret it.

As for the Beatitudes in the sermon on the Mount that is being referenced indirectly by the Monty Python crew in the life of brian movie, it records the sayings of Jesus as delivering the be the Law of the Spirit to the believers in an analogical position to Moses delivering the Ten Commandments from the foot of mount Sinai to Israel and therefore the beatitudes are themselves analogical to the blessings and curses in the five books of Moses.

Last edited:
...Hence the importance of understanding he original context and literary background of the writing in order to correctly interpret it...
Correct interpretation seems to be a bit of a problem for human beings, evidently why we have thousands of different denominations today. Hence people having a laugh about it. It is not really mean-spirited, though.

Correct interpretation seems to be a bit of a problem for human beings, evidently why we have thousands of different denominations today. Hence people having a laugh about it. It is not really mean-spirited, though.

I agree that there are quite a few denominations thta divide on various points of interpretation of scriptures. The differences are however overstated as all of them would agree on the fundamental tenets of Christianity.

I also believe that there remains much though that can be achieved to arrive at least at some common basis for understanding if we are able to view the relevant passages through the same itnterpretational matrix that the original audience would have had, and I think in more recent years much progress has been achieved in that direction

I guess Gillette figures that enough time has passed that we've forgotten their initial advertising for cartridges: You will cut yourself badly with a DE razor and blade.

This is Life of Brian Territory.

Person 1: I think it was 'Blessed are the cheese makers.'​
Lady: What's so special about the cheese makers?​
Person 2: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.​

Brian ''Consider the Lilly...''
Man in crowd ''Oh he's having a go at the flowers now''.

Just saw the display at Walgreens yesterday:
King C Gillette DE Razor $29.95
Tuck of 10 official King C blades $6

Official King C 5 blade cartridge razor: $9.99
Cartridge Refill: $9.99

$30 f0r a $9 razor - total $36 vs $20 for cart & refills

They're not offering much incentive for a newbie to want to try the DE shave ...

I bought the KCG about a month and a half ago, and here's my thoughts:

Pros:
  • Good weight and balance
  • Appears to be well-made
  • Very even blade gaps
  • Not overly aggressive (I'd say it may be slightly less aggressive than my '63 Super Speed)
  • Low Profile head design (Because it's a 3-piece, I guess)
Cons:
  • 3-Piece Design (I prefer TTO's)
  • Pricey for a non-adjustable razor
  • Horrible handle design
    • Handle is too small in diameter (like a pencil)
    • Very little etching to grab onto
    • Easy to slip and/or drop
I fixed the handle issue with a $15 handle from the Bay and it has improved the experience substantially. I really like the razor now that it has a proper handle. Of course, after buying a new handle I now have a $45 razor, so the value proposition is iffy.

That being said, I wanted to support Gillette making a new DE razor (and I wanted to have one in case they disappeared); my Parker Variant having issues helped make the decision easy.

I think the KCG may, MAY, attract some who have never really heard of or considered classic shaving as a thing these days with their displays in Walgreens. The thing is though, I think most of the naive would walk on by without at least some introduction or marketing that explained the benefits of shaving with a DE. A consideration to that may be that it takes away market share from their current cartridge razors, which I assume has a much greater profit margin.

I‘ll probably buy one and keep it in the box. Its cheap enough and might be worth something in 100 years when my great grandson gets it lol.

Top Bottom