What's new

Why King C DE Will Fizzle in the USA

This product line got me back into wet shaving. I'd been fully bearded for a while but decided to change things up.
I picked up the DE razor (love it) with some blades. I also got the beard and face wash, the beard balm and beard oil. I love the scent of the line and have been enjoying wet shaving again.

This product line got me back into wet shaving. I'd been fully bearded for a while but decided to change things up.
I picked up the DE razor (love it) with some blades. I also got the beard and face wash, the beard balm and beard oil. I love the scent of the line and have been enjoying wet shaving again.

You should flee and never return to the forums again if you do not want to be infected with RAD and SAD. I was happy with one razor and one soap for years and then I visited these forums ...and now I have more... LOL

Somewhat ironically, I think this is the type of thing that would potentially get someone like my father to switch. He want take my work about how much better I like the DE shave, and is inherently suspicious of me using vintage razors off Ebay and blades from all over the world, but that aren't sold anywhere locally.

For him, seeing a cool looking Gillette safety razor in a nice display that seems like a premium/unique product with a classic appeal while seeing that each blade is only going to cost $0.60 may entice him to try it for cost savings in the long run. There is certainly an appeal being able to buy everything you need in a single pharmacy or grocery store.

Well, that would be if he didn't inherit an Old Type in a nice case that he tried the one remaining Gillette thing blade in remaining in the blade bank which "turned his face into hamburger." He thought I was insane for wanting to take it off his hands and to use it, rather than leaving it in a drawer as a unique, antique "novelty." The fact that Gillette has made a "modern," with a relatively low entry cost version MAY change that.

Going to? It's out of production and unavailable for sale at this time.
I assume the KCG is, from P&G's POV, its replacement.

It sold out several times but is not out of production. Whether it continues to be sold as it was with a case and custom US made handle via Amazon remains to be seen as it was a limited testing of the waters. Brick and mortar availability with the KCG and the blades was step 2.

You should flee and never return to the forums again if you do not want to be infected with RAD and SAD. I was happy with one razor and one soap for years and then I visited these forums ...and now I have more... LOL
Yeah. I’m afraid I’ll be buying more. I already ordered a tub of acqua di Parma shave cream and an muhle silver tip badger hair brush to replace my old brush. I’m already looking at other razor options. 😂

Somewhat ironically, I think this is the type of thing that would potentially get someone like my father to switch. He want take my work about how much better I like the DE shave, and is inherently suspicious of me using vintage razors off Ebay and blades from all over the world, but that aren't sold anywhere locally.

For him, seeing a cool looking Gillette safety razor in a nice display that seems like a premium/unique product with a classic appeal while seeing that each blade is only going to cost $0.60 may entice him to try it for cost savings in the long run. There is certainly an appeal being able to buy everything you need in a single pharmacy or grocery store.

Well, that would be if he didn't inherit an Old Type in a nice case that he tried the one remaining Gillette thing blade in remaining in the blade bank which "turned his face into hamburger." He thought I was insane for wanting to take it off his hands and to use it, rather than leaving it in a drawer as a unique, antique "novelty." The fact that Gillette has made a "modern," with a relatively low entry cost version MAY change that.
I remember my Dad shaving with the razor his older brother had. My uncle was a combat medic and carried an injector razor from Normandy to Berlin during WW II. Dad couldn't get thru a complete shave with a single blade, and gave up, tossing the razor into a drawer. Years later I inherited it. I bought some Chick blades and it shaved as well as the Gillette Knack I had as a kid. I saw the overwhelming selection of DE blades available and soon began trying new and different blades in my old razor ... then another vintage razor from E-Bay, then another - and on & on. I have several Old Types that give awesome shaves, close and smooth, with a variety of blades.

Get a pack of Astra Superior platinums for your Dad to try with the Old Type. He'll be amazed at the smooth shave he'll get, compared to using that old, vintage blade. Both of you can get and compare some of the endless varieties of DE blades available. I only wish my father were still living - he'd be fascinated with the vast brands available to select from.

The number 144000 is not meant to e taken literally but is a symbolic figure that is meant to represent all of God's people throughout history - 12 tribes of Israel (old testament) x 12 apostles x 1000.
And the rest of the faithful will live on a paradise earth like Adam and Eve had.

Hello, everyone: I just want to see if they sell traditional razors as a historical sentiment... On our side, the traditional razor is a kind of high-quality goods. If you use a lady’s bag to compare the level of the louisvuitton (for example), you can buy about three boxes of replacement blades (12 pieces) for a traditional razor, although it is expensive. There are only these and disposable options in the market. I can't even find any small boxes of blades for traditional razors for sale, no... The problem I found is that these new market types of razors will be assembled and manufactured by the head office (for example, Germany), but will be transferred to other countries (for example, Thailand) in a few years. At this time, the quality of the blades will drop to an unbearable rate. , And new products came out... This is also the reason why I switched to traditional shaving. The unstable and expensive replacement head makes it difficult to support...

Saw he thought the Nacet blade felt like the KCG blade. My first KCG blade went 33 shaves before the first tug yesterday. Never tried a Nacet to know for sure. The KCG felt smooth like the vintage Platinum Plus to me based on my experience. The Russian blade I normally use is the Yellow and I can say positively that the KCG blades aren’t Yellows.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah. I’m afraid I’ll be buying more. I already ordered a tub of acqua di Parma shave cream and an muhle silver tip badger hair brush to replace my old brush. I’m already looking at other razor options. 😂
Seriously, buy some OLD timey Gillette ones. Lol, you are sure to get some advice on here, but for my money, it's hard to beat some 60 to 100 year old DE razors.

I remember my Dad shaving with the razor his older brother had. My uncle was a combat medic and carried an injector razor from Normandy to Berlin during WW II. Dad couldn't get thru a complete shave with a single blade, and gave up, tossing the razor into a drawer. Years later I inherited it. I bought some Chick blades and it shaved as well as the Gillette Knack I had as a kid. I saw the overwhelming selection of DE blades available and soon began trying new and different blades in my old razor ... then another vintage razor from E-Bay, then another - and on & on. I have several Old Types that give awesome shaves, close and smooth, with a variety of blades.

Get a pack of Astra Superior platinums for your Dad to try with the Old Type. He'll be amazed at the smooth shave he'll get, compared to using that old, vintage blade. Both of you can get and compare some of the endless varieties of DE blades available. I only wish my father were still living - he'd be fascinated with the vast brands available to select from.

I think the hard part with him, and others like him is getting them to make the jump to seeing it as something fun and enjoyable to explore, rather than a chore or obligation. He thinks I'm crazy for wanting to try different things rather than just buying whatever pack of cartridges at Costco that are "acceptable."

That being said, I'm considering moving back and joining the "family business," so maybe I'll be able to make a convert of him when we have more time together.

Already have a pack of the lovely Astra SP's here and waiting, although I still haven't been able to fully tame the OT for my own neck, so I don't think I can convince him to try that specific razor again.

Maybe I'll be able to start by having him swing by the Walgreens with me and "incidentally" seeing the kcg de on the shelves. Glad it's I'm stores now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’m already eyeing up some late 50s gillette fatboys. :biggrin1:
I've got one. It's okay. Don't be in a rush, mine fell in my lap at an antique store. I've never tried one, but most folks prefer the one that replaced it, the "Slim". Better under the nose I guess.

The Gillette 195 is God's Gift to Shaving, the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, Better than Sex. I'd heard it all, and fell for the hype.

There's a big Fat Boy fan Club & they're hopelessly infatuated with it. They get sorely vexed when you downplay the excellence of their object of worship. Same goes for about any brand name, whether car, coffee, toothpaste, DE blade, or religion. Everyone has a favorite & wants to promote it as the very bestest.

And then, there's the reality of YMMV, and it hit me after I fell prey to the 195 Gotta-Have Syndrome. Told myself I'd not pay the insanely high price for one, so of course one fell into my lap at a stupidly cheap price - and in excellent shape, too.

It shaves quite alright, but is clunky and awkward for me. I now better understand why Gillette replaced it with the Slim, and later the Super Adjustables.

It's still in my rotation, and does provide a better than average shave, but so do my other adjustables. Sometimes, the old adage applies: "Wanting is often better than having".

And the rest of the faithful will live on a paradise earth like Adam and Eve had.

While I don‘t profess to have secret knowledge of biblical answers, I do not agree with that article linked. Even an amateur theologian can shoot holes in the reasoning. Peter, the rock on which Christ built his church, was known to be married. Abraham, Moses, and King David were as well. As a matter of fact, all of them (save Peter all we know is he had a wife) had a number of female exploits. David was quite the ladies man. I find it hard to believe that God would exclude these men (all of who are patriarchs of the Jewish and Christian faith) from the elect because of being “defiled by woman,” as that article contends.

The Gillette 195 is God's Gift to Shaving, the Best Thing Since Sliced Bread, Better than Sex. I'd heard it all, and fell for the hype.

There's a big Fat Boy fan Club & they're hopelessly infatuated with it. They get sorely vexed when you downplay the excellence of their object of worship. Same goes for about any brand name, whether car, coffee, toothpaste, DE blade, or religion. Everyone has a favorite & wants to promote it as the very bestest.

And then, there's the reality of YMMV, and it hit me after I fell prey to the 195 Gotta-Have Syndrome. Told myself I'd not pay the insanely high price for one, so of course one fell into my lap at a stupidly cheap price - and in excellent shape, too.

It shaves quite alright, but is clunky and awkward for me. I now better understand why Gillette replaced it with the Slim, and later the Super Adjustables.

It's still in my rotation, and does provide a better than average shave, but so do my other adjustables. Sometimes, the old adage applies: "Wanting is often better than having".

There are groups hopelessly infatuated with everything about the 195 and there are groups hopelessly determined to go out of their way to tell everyone it is not the best razor they own. If you have good technique, it is a simple 3 pass BBS. If your technique is lacking, it is still forgiving enough to get you to DFS fairly easily.

It is just a razor after all, but I think the vast majority of people whom purchase the 195 aren’t thinking it is the best razor available. It is pretty simple what they are looking for. There are many people whom would just prefer to own a 57 Ford Thunderbird rather than a 2020 Ford Mustang. Most would never tell you they were expecting the T-Bird to be the best car they ever owned. A lot of it is nostalgia, a solidly built, gorgeous specimen that has survived since the 1950s, thoughts of going to a drive-in movie to watch The Blob, hanging out at the diner with friends and other enthusiasts and that “New” song out by Elvis on the radio.

Top Bottom