What's new

Why is my soap eroding so quickly?

BTW, a hot water soak will dissolve quite a bit of soap, especially the 'glycerin' and melt & pour soaps like Conk, VDH, HBS, etc. We had one guy here that went though a M&P soap in about a week. :laugh: He stopped running hot water in his mug and then the soap lasted quite a while.

-- John Gehman

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that while I do soak my Proraso while I am in the shower, I use a couple of brush drips worth of water (very little), and I conserve this water with soap dissolved in it. Definitely don't pour that stuff down the drain if you are worried about the longevity of your soaps, because it contains usable product. Pour it into your lather bowl instead. If that means you have too much water in your lather bowl, it means you are using too much water to soak your puck.

I use a puck of Williams about every 5 and a half months and use a very little bit of water on my brush to get it coated it with soap. It is easier to add water than take it away. I face lather and add water there to generate the proper lather. After so many years it has become second nature judging by feel the amount of water to use and add.

I just actually tried building a lather with the puck of Williams I have, and I'm going to retract what I said about needing special techniques. I picked up the puck and did what I always do with the Proraso... resulting in a great lather. There's a bit of a stigma attached to Williams around here, so Your Mileage May definitely Vary.

Top Bottom