What's new

Why choose a straight razor over a DE?

....I decided to dump the electric three weeks ago and started try to Learn how to shave. I discovered pre-shave oil, Hot towels and good soap & brush. I was able to shave everyday with acceptable irritation.....

.....I got my DE on Monday and have now made the irrevocable move to blades.....

.....My shaves are getting better, my irritation is getting less and I never had to deal with nicks with the blades at all.....

My question is why do people move on to straight razors. I can see the attraction of the idea, but is there a reason in quality of shave or increased comfort to think about continuing journey on to straight razors?

It's the usual MO. I can see that you are already on track to begin shaving with a straight. I predict that this will soon begin to crystallize in your mind and that you will begin acquiring gear within 3 weeks....:biggrin1:

I laughed out loud when i read your post because it is so me.

The concept is intriguing - I have thought of buying one and just not using it until i am ready..... but you know how that will go LOL

I am a woodworker who has started using Hand tools so i understand the requirement for sharp and have the tools and experience now to sharpen my plane blades & chisels to a mirror finish, some how that seems more daunting with a razor - just fear I think

I tell you what though, I am getting alot of appreciation from my wife!!!
She can tell the difference in a big way, sooooo ther is no going back. this is good stuff

Don

I got into straights by RAD.
I was in an antique shop looking for vintage DEs. I asked the old boy in the shop if he had any razors he pulled two wooden draws out with all the shaving stuff he had. I was looking for Gillettes but he had non. 4 or 5 rolls razors a few ever readys and a pile of vintage razor blades but what he did have was straights about 16 there were Joesph Rodgers with barbers notches, a Fritz bracht Dovo, Kropp and other Solingen and Sheffield razors:thumbup::thumbup:

I was thinking I use knives every day how hard can it be:tongue_sm
Well I'm still waiting to find out they all needed work so I have to wait and see while they are being restored.
I've been using a Shavette in the mean time and its a piece of cake.

Like you I started with a DE razor, and even though I had been wetshaving for 20 years, I soon discovered how little I actually knew about the art of shaving. What a learning curve!

My reasons for using Straights:

1. The search for the ultimate shave, straights will ultimately give you a better shave. (I'm not there yet but I'm getting close!)
  2. The nostalgia/sentimentality of using a restored razor that was made and used 150-200 yrs ago
  3. The ability to see the edge of the blade at all times. Funny isn't it, after twenty years NOW I won't to see the blade, the whole blade and nothing but the blade.
  4. The feeling that comes with using a piece of art (just look at any Bill Ellis razor if you are unsure about this statement. One day I hope to own one of his Custom Razors)
  5. The ritual involved in prepping, stropping and then shaving.
  6. Because they are way cool. I mean, just look at them! :thumbup1:

I got into straights mainly because I thought they were cool. I never expected to become proficient enough to make it my mainstay. But now I use them because, for me, they provide a superior shave that seems to last longer. And they're still cool. And I love the looks on people's faces when it comes up in conversation.

I started with straights because I was still having trouble with redness from the DE. I also just shake the urge to give them a try.

I've found that, as I improve with straights, my DE technique improves, too (but I only use a DE rarely, now). I would most likely have continued to struggle were it not for the extra concentration needed with straights.

For me, it was the ultimate quality of the shave, plus the "harmony" of it all. This is the way people have been doing it since times immemorial. I'm a pretty spartan guy when it comes to the other aspects - I only own a few razors and a couple of brushes, they're just tools to me, although I do take great care of them.

When shaving with a DE, I find myself annoyed not being able to see the blade and control the angle - and the result is not as good, although it's way easier and faster. I just feel "dumb" after a DE shave.

When I first toyed with the idea of DE shaving it seemed 'new' and challenging .. the idea that i'd have to relearn shaving seemed to provoke me ..

then I made the switch...

sure I enjoy DE shaving, but I quickly found out there really wasn't any sort of challenge. My adventure seemed to simple and too easy - pleasant as it was.

then the Idea of Straights came upon me ..... yeah ... now theres a challenge . . . not any joe blow can pick it up in one day like with DE's and Cart's - To master a Straight a true skill will have to be acquired...

and that where I am - 'Acquiring the Skill' - My face may be taking a BEATING but my pride swells with each clean shaven face.

I jumped from electric right to straights primarily for the "cool" factor but also I convinced my wife that I only needed 1 razor ( didn't know about RAD at the time), a strop and a barbers hone and I would be set for life.

I now have a DE for those days when I run late but still primarily use straights and continue to add more to the mix as I find them and restore them which was a side benefit of getting to do little projects that are enjoyable and a form of recycling.

I suggest watching a movie: Seven Samurai, by Kurosawa, 207 minutes long. Get the Criterion restored version. This film has a brief shot of straight razor shaving in an interesting context.

I suggest watching a movie: Seven Samurai, by Kurosawa, 207 minutes long. Get the Criterion restored version. This film has a brief shot of straight razor shaving in an interesting context.

this is my absolute favorite movie..
is this the shot?

proxy.php

just got done watching that movie right now! Great Movie - Great story! Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

HI Don, and by the way welcome to B&B. I got in to straights for all of the above reasons and it sure stuck with me. the nice thing i feel now is that it feels like the only way to shave and something i have been doing always. seems like you are definitely on your path with destiny so don't fight it too hard and give the DE a little more time as it will help to condition your hide. like most of us i think you will find that having this site available is going to make your jump a pleasure, I am sure it never would have happened for me without it.

Ian

Top Bottom