What's new

Why are original sensor handles impossible to find?

Gillette Trac II carts at Walmart are also made in Poland. I have not seen enough reviews on Polish blades to form an opinion. Anyone have experience with these.

The Polish made ones work very well for me! I lucked into some that were on clearance/blow out for dirt cheap!

I just found a '90 NOS box of Gillette Sensor Excel.
Now I need a handle.

Online I've found these Asian options:
Gillette Vector 3
proxy.php

Gillette Sensor Excel
proxy.php

As price they're close.
But I've trad they're different as weight.

What is your favorite ... and why?

I just found a '90 NOS box of Gillette Sensor Excel.
Now I need a handle.

Online I've found these Asian options:
Gillette Vector 3
proxy.php

Gillette Sensor Excel
proxy.php

As price they're close.
But I've trad they're different as weight.

What is your favorite ... and why?
I have no experience wifh them, as I found the original silver and grey handle excel on eBay.

I have 3 original Sensor handles.
I also have 2 of the readily-available Asian handles that I bought from Amazon.

The Asian handles don't look as sleek and are lighter, BUT: They perform just as well.

Does anyone know the weight of the original Sensor handle?

And I agree that the Asian Vector3 handle is actually really nice although pretty light.
Ergonomically it’s a bit of a masterpiece in fact...

Does anyone know the weight of the original Sensor handle?

And I agree that the Asian Vector3 handle is actually really nice although pretty light.
Ergonomically it’s a bit of a masterpiece in fact...
28 grams, on my kitchen scale. I think I have the the original handle, grey with black rubber insets

Thanks for that!
The Vector3 is 21g with the cartridge attached...
I weighed the handle with and without the 2 blade cart and it made no difference in the weight.
There is a heavier handle, all metal available on the net if that is what you are looking for?

I weighed the handle with and without the 2 blade cart and it made no difference in the weight.
There is a heavier handle, all metal available on the net if that is what you are looking for?
Kool - no I just found the Vector3 handle such a pleasure to use and I was wondering if it was appreciably lighter than the original handles.

Gosh my original Sensor Excel handle arrived today along with some NOS blades and I can totally see now why you guys adore this razor.
It’s such a classy piece of equipment and the shave was excellent too:
2D75D1D4-1E2D-420E-9949-0428D367E743.jpeg

That Vector3 handle mentioned earlier in this thread really is very nice although it’s so light, but this original Sensor Excel handle is in a class of its own and I can understand why they are so sought after.

Why are original Atra handles considerably cheaper though?
That’s a classic Gillette system too.

Mine is all metal and looks like that but where your handle has grey ribbing and backbone mine is black. Also on the handle it feels like very hard plastic or metal for the grip strips. 16 grips where yours has 12 and three where yours has 2. It doesn't say sensor but Gillette on both sides where yours says sensor. I can't find any code numbers on it. any idea the vintage. I don't remember when I got it. It's probably a ghost of Christmas past.

A lot of the Atras on ebay are the cheap trial packs. Handle and two blades for 49 cents. Then if you liked it you could get a good one at regular price. $5 if I remember. It seems that a lot of people are selling these on ebay. I have even seen some Trac IIs that were the same trial idea. Gillette had people passing these out free on my college campus in 1971. I bought a real one a few weeks later that I still use when the cheap trial handle broke.

Gosh my original Sensor Excel handle arrived today along with some NOS blades and I can totally see now why you guys adore this razor.
It’s such a classy piece of equipment and the shave was excellent too:
View attachment 983381
That Vector3 handle mentioned earlier in this thread really is very nice although it’s so light, but this original Sensor Excel handle is in a class of its own and I can understand why they are so sought after.

Why are original Atra handles considerably cheaper though?
That’s a classic Gillette system too.
Original Atra's are not cheap.

But, they are very good carts!
Very true, I have a few of each original style: two or more different metal/aluminium, two Elites, many original plastic versions. I think there was one limited edition I didn't get, but I have a similar aftermarket handle.

So do you prefer Sensor or Atra?
And why?
I liked Astra carts better personally. The Sensor just always gave me the same results in the same trouble areas which is coincidentally the razor that made me consider DE shaving.

I liked Astra carts better personally. The Sensor just always gave me the same results in the same trouble areas which is coincidentally the razor that made me consider DE shaving.
Interesting - thank you!
The Atra as the Contour here in UK was the razor I used as a teenager (along with Palmolive shave stick) so I’m fascinated to try it again.
For most of the 90s I had a full hippy beard (don’t ask!) but if I did shave then it was with cheap disposables so I hadn’t experienced the Sensor until the great shave two days ago.

The Sensor handle is remarkably versatile isn’t it?
It will accept Sensor and Sensor Excel (obviously) also Sensor3 and Vector3 which all have sprung blades.
But it will also accept the Gillette Blue II Slalom, Super-Max SMX3, Kwik3 and Elegance4 carts which all have rigid unsprung blades.

So it gives you the option of sprung and unsprung twin blade and triple blade carts as well as a four-blade.
Wow - what a handle!

Top Bottom