What's new

Whose used an electric shaver and thought the shave was just fine?

Before a had RAD,SAD, and other ADs, I had Shaving AD. I have over a dozen of top of the line models from various manufacturers. Overall, my two favorite electric razors are the Braun 7 series and Panasonis ES-LA series. With Norelcos, the prior generation before the Architect heads were better. As with any shaving tool, irritation will commence when the edge gets dull.

Like some of the other posters, I used a Panasonic wet/dry for a while, back in my college days. The "Smooth Operator" I think. I remember it working pretty well, actually. Probably not the closest shave, but decent, and I liked it because it didn't cut me like disposables often would. Probably wouldn't work as well now, though, I think my whiskers have gotten tougher. Might be interesting to try, I still have the razor, but I don't have the foil anymore.

I also have one of those Remington trimmers, that come with a mini foil shaver, gave that a shot, worked a little better than I thought it would. But still doesn't take off as much as one WTG pass would. Not bad for trimming/shaping goatee area, though.

Like some others, I've had several electric razors - I was always drawn to them because of the convenience.
Apparently, some folks can use them successfully. I consider them the spawn of Sauron.

Those who can use them have a nice tool. Those who can't, should consider themselves luckiest people on earth... wow... no real reason to use technology - a straight razor and a smile for us!. ;-}

I've used both Braun and Norelco electrics. I once used a Norelco electric (the "Advantage," I believe, around 2003 or so) for about 9 months straight, and I used a Braun 7 Series for about 18 months straight in 2010-2011. I also tried out the newest Norelco "Sensotouch 3D" for a month or so last year. I've found that the Braun gives a presentable shave with a little extra work required on the neck, while the Norelco gives a nearly-DFS shave at the expense of random neck irritation. I've found that the Braun is a little quicker than a Gillette cartridge shave while the Norelco isn't really faster at all due to the need for constant swirling motions and going over the same spot over and over again.

The real annoyance for me with electric shavers is the cleaning process. Older razors required significant time each week to disassemble and clean the heads. Newer razors have the cleaning bases, but these are notoriously unreliable. I've had two Braun bases; one stopped working after 18 months and its replacement broke during cleaning after a week. The way the new Braun heads are designed makes it impossible to thoroughly clean it without the base. The Norelco base seems a bit more robust and the heads can be cleaned without it, but it's still a bit of a kludgy process, and I didn't use it for very long so I can't speak to how long the base will last.

Overall it's a lot of expense and putzing around for a shave that will never be as close as a cartridge and a can of Barbasol (much less a DE and brush). Some men seem to find electric razors less irritating but in my experience I'm just as likely to get ingrown hairs with an electric (especially a rotary) as with a blade.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I never really cared for electrics. I used to use one for head shaving because once it was smooth, the electric was fairly simple and quick to keep it shaved.
I couldn't get "used to it" on the face though. All of the documentation said you had to allow time for your face to acclimate to an electric, but I just wasn't into the equivalent of building up guitar calluses on my face. :lol:

I preferred the rotary. I've had several foil and several rotary.
The rotary ones have always been closer cut, need less maintenance and less irritation.
It delivered, as always, an ok shave every day with minimal effort (and minimal need for me to even be fully awake)

My dad is the opposite. He's always preferred the foil as it's gentler (the rotary can pull hairs and several models advertise the pull-and-cut blades)

I have a Norelco my wife gave me several years ago. I use it when we have to be somewhere and I need a quick touch up. I never use it for beard-bustin', just for a half days growth or something like that. Anyway, a little bit of Williams Lectric Shave and a pass of the Norelco and I'm good to go. I never experience and irritation or discomfort with it.

I would not want to use it for my daily shave, but in a pinch it does great.

I was given an electric for my 21st birthday (a long time ago now). I tried it for about a week. After that week my neck was so red and irritated that the razor went into the drawer and never resurfaced. It was 100% wet shaving for me from that day on.

My dad on the other hand has only ever used an electric. Go figure ...

I have had a few last was a Remington I forget the model, it is responsible for the razor bumps under neck that I am now fighting to remove. I am hoping that wet shaving will give me a better shave and save my skin in the long run.

I've had many brands and models of electrics over the years, from Braun, Schick, Remington, Norelco and others that I do not remember. Most of them would give an acceptable shave on the face although never a BBS. The neck is another story. To put it mildly, they all sucked. I've never found an electric that would shave well on my neck.

I have a newer braun 320s that i like quite a bit. it does a DFS but no electric will do as well as a blade. sometimes the shave just has to be quick and good enough.

Aloha,

After more than 30 years of using an electric razor, I just made the move to DE razors. I have always used a rotary Norelco. I suggest you try a new Norelco 3D Senso Touch with Aquatec that is waterproof, such as the Norelco 1250X. There are other models out there just make sure it can be used in water. These models are easy to clean just rinse them under running water. And they can be used in the shower with shaving cream. If you already have you brush and cream just use the Norelco after you have lathered up. I found with the shaving cream, I could add more pressure to get a closer shave without getting burned. Remember changing to an electric requires that you dedicate the time to using only the electric. Your skin and beard need time to adjust. Norelco usually states that it takes a couple weeks to get the closest shave. They used to offer a money back guarantee if you didn't like it.

The reason I made the move is because I just found my dad's straight razors and I'm taking an intermediary step to using them. This will really save money since I won't have to replace the shave heads on the Norelco. I actually get a closer shave with the Norelco and shaving cream but, I really like the way the DE razor feels.

Mahalo,
Merry Christmas!!!

Top Bottom