What's new

who taught you to shave ?

I did it solo and I wish I hadn't. It's only now, 15 years since I started that I finally feel like I'm doing it right. Of course, that's thanks in no small part to all the great help from guys on this forum!

Horribly taught myself, my father died over seas went I was eight. I tried using his Phillashave electric razor, but I might as well have pluck the hairs outta my face with a pair of tweezers. Later on I found out the hard way not to shave against the gain with a disposable Bic razor. Until I found this place I shaved as little as possible.

I was taught by my blind uncle. He had been to a London barber shop before (while still sighted) for a straight shave and taught me the simple principles with my own razor, a Wilkinson Sword Protector. Very good starter razor for a kid as it's pretty difficult to cut yourself with. He taught me about hot water (or towel) prepare and lots of cold water afterwards. He says men only think they need a mirror, if you concentrate you don't need one. I have found that to be true, however feel safer with a mirror. Anyways, to this day i have never owned a styptic or alum, and close any minor nicks with loads of cold water.

My father's instructions can be summed up as follows, "Here's a plastic disposable razor and a can of Barbasol. Have fun." :ohmy: So, I actually taught myself how to shave. I remind my dad of this often and ask him what I had done to make him mad at me. :001_smile

Chris

I taught myself how to shave with the Sensor then drooled all over the M3 then realized the folly of my ways.
As a born again shaver I was taught by Mantic's videos, B&B and SRP

My father taught me, well... sorta. He'd always shaved with a Norelco electric, so naturally, I got one for either my birthday or Christmas when I started to shave. Having watched him shave several times while growing up, the use of an electric was self-explanatory. No formal instruction per se.

Later on in college, I switced to blade shaving (Gillette Good News & M3) and was self-taught with my can of goo. Although my grandfather usually blade shaved as well.

DE shaving was also self taught with the help of Mantic's videos and the great guys here at B&B.

DC,

Are you the same DC from KnifeForums? If so welcome to the group! I just got my first DE last week and wow I love it. Maybe we could find a way to modify my Takeda Nakiri for shaving purposes.. ;-)

Hope all is well!

:biggrin: Who me!! Yup I found this site through SRP, which I found through KnifeForums... Small world :tongue:

I stropped up my Carter Nakiri and believe it would shave... if it wasn't a 190 and almost 3" wide :001_unsur

:biggrin: Who me!! Yup I found this site through SRP, which I found through KnifeForums... Small world :tongue:

I stropped up my Carter Nakiri and believe it would shave... if it wasn't a 190 and almost 3" wide :001_unsur

I am suprised you have requested a custom straight edge from Murray Carter.. ;-)

Taught by my dad with a Gillette Slim and a can of Gillette Foamy. That was probably around 1968 or 1969. I used a DE until about 1979 when I started to use disposables and then cartridges. I have been using a soap and brush for about 2 years, and started to use a DE again 3 months ago. Man what was I thinking in 1979 that led me away from the DE and into a world of bad shaves and plastic. One of the things I regret is that I don't have that razor Dad gave to me and I started out with.

Mantic taught me how to shave.

Ditto.

I started out using an electric razor in junior high. Then went on to attempt wet shaving after watching my dad hack away at his countenance for years. Of course, in my immaturity, I didn't prep my face well, use set strokes, etc.

Now thanks to the internet, I go off into the world wiser, and more prepared.

Mostly self taught(incorrectly) until finding this site, Mantic, Kyle,Obi-Ron and other forum members helped greatly.

Marty

My father's instructions can be summed up as follows, "Here's a plastic disposable razor and a can of Barbasol. Have fun." :ohmy: So, I actually taught myself how to shave. I remind my dad of this often and ask him what I had done to make him mad at me. :001_smile

Chris

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD! THANKS!

My father taught me to shave. He handed me a Gillette (Slim) adjustable, a pack of Platinum Plus blades and my own can of Barbasol.

"The directions are on the can," he said. And that was it.

1) Wash face with warm water, leave wet.
2) Shake can and hold upright. (No kidding?!)
3) Press top to release lather. (AMAZING!!!)

My uncle was the town barber, and pointed out a few problem areas, the first I'd heard of razor angle...and the adjustable was a mystery to me...I started from the middle and worked my way each direction until it worked best.

Experience is a good teacher, as is my Uncle Sam, who, in Navy Boot Camp would remind me..."Hey...did you SHAVE today?!"

Then I got tips from this site.

My father had a very long and impassioned talk about Sex with me about the same time--- riding in his pickup truck with him..."Any bad girls in your school?" he asked. "Sure, a few, I guess," I said, thinking dreamily of a few of them..."Well stay away from them, they're trouble."

Truer words were never spoken.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I think this is an interesting thread so I should revive it :biggrin:

Like most, my father did. He tried to start me on a Braun electric razor, irritation was horrible. We then moved to a Gillette sensor. Eventually a M3. However, Mantic and B&B showed me how to shave properly!

when i was 15, my father showed me how to shave, with a gillette atra cartridge razor, and it really was one of those father-son moments from the movies. He always has, and still does, use the atra. I hated using the damn thing, with blades being rough and clogging (I was a much more lazy, infrequent shaver then). 1.5 years ago I read this article about shaving, and changed over to a Merkur 180 and have been much happier ever since. Regarding teaching the DE, I pretty much did trial and error to get a technique that I'm happy with.

Top Bottom