What's new

who still loves their razorock mamba?

My Mamba 70 arrived today and I just finished my first shave with it. I cannot compare it to the GC 84 as I found the original GC to give a rougher shave compared to the original Mamba without being as efficient. I am assuming the 84 would just be rougher of a shave and possibly more efficient, although many are saying it is not a daily driver.

After ordering the Mamba 70 (that apparently is the new official name), I pulled out my original Mamba and shaved with it. I immediately thought that I had dumped $65 down the drain because the Mamba gave me an extremely smooth two pass plus touch up BBS where I had to feel my face after the first pass to make sure I had a blade loaded. I had visions of the original GC where the Mamba 70 would add roughness without more efficiency (how can you be more efficient that two pass plus touch up BBS).

When I lathered up tonight, I was absolutely surprised because again I had to feel my face after the first pass to make sure I was actually cutting whiskers. The difference with this new Mamba was that I could have gone right into touch up after the first pass. I did a second pass only because this was my first shave with the Mamba 70. I ended up with a two pass BBS where I could not feel the blade at any point of my shave. I need to mention that when I test a new razor, I always use a blade that has a couple of shaves on it only so I can find out the characteristics of the razor.

I am thinking that if I had a new blade (and a good one), I could get a one pass plus touch up near BBS. The only other razors I own that allows that is my Wunderbar and my Genesis (with a new Gem).
Exactly my thoughts on the original Mamba. Such a refined shaver - what's to improve in it ? And yet I bought the Mamba 70 :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Exactly my thoughts on the original Mamba. Such a refined shaver - what's to improve in it ? And yet I bought the Mamba 70 :D

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You will find out (like I did) that the new Mamba takes refinement and smoothness to another level without adding harshness.

The 70 is a winner for me. It's very smooth and carefree and more efficient than its predecessor. The long Ti handle results in perfect balance and keeps things light and nimble. I like it better than both GCs. It'll be in my rotation. Will it satisfy the never efficient enough crowd? Probably not. But I like this one.

Last edited:
I saw the Mamba 70 and almost dropped out of the 2018 sabbatical. I refrained, but am anxious to read reviews and hopefully buy either the original or the 70 in the new year. Please keep reviews coming!

I picked up a Mamba with radio knob last week. Loving it but getting use to the handle is proving tough (coming from the super light zamak handle of my DE89). Had a few instances where I felt it was going to slip out of my hands, even though it has better knurling than my DE89.

Those still using the original Mamba, which blades are you using? GSBs are one of my favorite blades but in the Mamba they seem meh. Feathers, love this combo but only for 2 uses.

I still use my Mamba, and am happy with any Gillette (Russian) blade in it. Yellows, Greens (NOT the Indian ones), GSB's, Nacets, Rubies, Minoras, Platinums, Astra Greens and Blues, and Feathers are great but have a few Kai blades now to try too. The Mamba even gives a great shave with Sputniks! I had a few to try and although the name seems weird, those blades are very under-rated. A nice smooth, close shave.
Re the GC .68 and .84. I had the GC and both plates. Did not like that razor at all, and now sold.
Favourite razor is the Fatip Picollo Special Edition. These are supplied with the Mk2 heads. Can't be bothered with the Gentile head, but love that OC head.
Lately have been using the Mamba first, then 2nd pass with the Picollo. I get smooth, close shaves with this routine.
Outstanding shaves (for me. May not suit you of course). Mind you, at 71 my face may be a tad 'grooved and leathery' and I find the OC is a better choice, but I love the wee Mamba, and no way will it ever be sold.
Worth getting the Mamba 70? No idea. If it was an OC I'd probably buy it just because in 50+ years of shaving most of my razors have been OC.
Next razor for me? Toss up between an ATT R2, or a Schone (Fatip in disguise. Better finish...sort of, 9 teeth not 11 as per the Fatip head, but still a bit hit or miss with QC). So probably the R2 will win and should last me until I reach 100. I'll report back then to let you know how the R2 is behaving (and I'll still have the Mamba).

Debating whether picking up the .70 Mamba or not. The original still does the job. This coming from someone that loves forward feeling blade/razor combos and an occasional straight shave now and then. It still delivers a comfortable and pretty close shave. Solid, solid performer. Yes, I still like mine.....

CF0F66C3-183C-400A-902C-0DD68B097655.jpeg

Debating whether picking up the .70 Mamba or not. The original still does the job. This coming from someone that loves forward feeling blade/razor combos and an occasional straight shave now and then. It still delivers a comfortable and pretty close shave. Solid, solid performer. Yes, I still like mine.....

The Mamba70 doesn't shave that differently from the OG Mamba if you have perfected your angle on the OG...That said, I have both and love both. But the Ti handle that is now on that M70 is terrible IMO...

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’ve still been having mixed results with my Mamba 70. One time I’ll get a wonderful shave. Then next I’ll get a crappy shave. I don’t get it. I usually don’t have this issue with other razors. Maybe it’s just not a good match for my skin. Who knows. I’ve been giving it a lot of attention these days, but I may move on to something else now. I used my GC 84 yesterday, and it was perfect ffect as usual. Im gonna break out the original Black Mamba and revisit that one some day very soon.

I have the Original Mamba and the M70. They are both great, but the Original handle is the best handle Razorock ever made. The Halo handles work great for me, but I LOVE the slimmer feel, and the removable end cap. It balances great for me with no end cap.

I haven't tried the Mamba 70 yet. My daughter took my original Mamba along with my preferred handle for it, the RR 90mm Ti Halo. She seems to like it. For my wiry grey beard, I liked the uber-sharp but long-lasting Bic Chrome Platinum, or sometimes a Personna Red. I think I gave her Astras though (she's still new to shaving).

Personally, I like handles around 85mm. The 100mm Ti Halo just doesn't appeal to me much. If I get a 70, I'll probably try to get my daughter to swap handles.

I have the original Mamba with the radio knob handle, and have tried to like it. It's not happening for me, so it gathers dust.

It shines as a daily shaver. It will work every other day, but that's not the Mamba's strength. I can shave repeatedly along my jawline and rarely nick myself.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used the original BLACK Mamba today. I hadnt used it in a while. A long while. It is quite a beast. It is so much more efficient and aggressive than the two newer models. The head is also heavier and thicker too. Got a great shave. Although it was quite a bit more harsh than the current offerings. I find it far from smooth. But it was a fun shave.

When I was deciding between the Mamba OG 53 or the Mamba 70 I chose the 53 so that I can have the milder shave when I want and I can add 1 shim to shave with a .62 gap and I can add 2 shims to shave with a .71 gap (about the same as the Mamba 70). I'm glad I made that choice because I like all three gap sizes and shims work great with this razor. I think the 1 shim .62 gap is my favorite.

SO I have a confession to make...I just sold both my Mambas. While they were indeed really solid daily shavers, I found that if I was using them for longer periods of time, I would get more than usual skin issues. I suspect it had something to do with the cutting angle, but the difference between the Mambas and my other razors was obvious. In the end, I am glad to have had them, but my GCs, Masamune and Lupo just deliver a better final product even if the shaves themselves may not be quite as smooth as the Mamba shaves.

Top Bottom