What's new

who still loves their razorock mamba?

It took me like 10 shaves for me to really know the limitations and get to know the razor. I’m not saying you should do the same but since you already have it, why give up on it so easily.

I just got my Mamba and shaved with it for the first time. It is awesome! Very smooth shave with less irritation. I like mild razors and it's plenty efficient for me. Sure, I did one extra pass than with my EJ89, but my face felt better afterwards also. Mild razor and sharp blade is a good combination for me. I use Personna lab blue.

I love my Mamba. It ran circles around my trusty Gillette Tech, which I decided to PIF after my first couple shaves with the Mamba. It's not for everybody, but it's earned a permanent spot in my rotation along with the Fatip Piccolo and RR TeckII. The Mamba is by far the smoothest razor I have ever used. It's such a joy to use that I've shaved with it twice a day just for the fun of it it for a few days straight with zero irritation.

I've used the Mamba for a quick cleanup before a night out using no shaving soap or cream, just water (I was running late and really pressed for time). It was still a totally comfortable shave! The whole shave took 2 minutes including prep. Now that's an "efficient" razor!:001_tongu

Last edited:
What I love about the mamba is it's smoothness. It may not be easy to get BBS with this razor but it's very easy to get a comfortable DFS....and that keeps it in my rotation.

When you guys shave with the Mamba, do you shave as if you were using your other more aggressive razors? I personally cannot get a BBS shave with it but I can shave really fast and achieve a DFS in record time with no irritation or weepers. It’s also nice for those hot days when I sweat, no stinging from too close of a shave.

When you guys shave with the Mamba, do you shave as if you were using your other more aggressive razors? I personally cannot get a BBS shave with it but I can shave really fast and achieve a DFS in record time with no irritation or weepers. It’s also nice for those hot days when I sweat, no stinging from too close of a shave.

The faster a razor is moving, the more efficiently it cuts. That's true for axes, weedwackers, lawnmowers, pretty much anything with a cutting edge. When I shave with my Mamba, it's a 2:30 shave to get BBS including prep and lathering (I hand lather, which cuts down the time quite a bit). When I shave with a straight, the same BBS shave takes 15 minutes because it's so much more "efficient". :001_tongu

Try a slow motion shave sometime and you'll be shocked at how inefficient a pass is comparatively. It will also likely tug much more than you're accustomed to. That's my experience anyway.

The trick to finding the right angle with this razor is to ride the cap. Keep the cap against your skin and adjust until it starts cutting. I like how this razor holds the blade very rigidly without much of a gap, but that means there is a narrower range to get the right cutting angle with minimal blade feel. It's not for everyone, but it works great for me. I get no irritation so I feel comfortable using alcohol-based splashes in the summer without much sting and don't need a balm.

Mild razor? Yes. Is it efficient? Yes. A 3 pass shave with a Kai blade and it performed very nicely. Not a single nic, cut or weeper to be had. And NO irritation whatsoever. I have a stable of “aggressive” razors that shave wonderfully. The Mamba is the mildest razor in my shave den. Yet, it gave just about as good a shave as most of them. This is only my 2nd shave with the Mamba, but it is perhaps the smoothest de razor I’ve ever used. With the Kai blade it feels very efficient yet not much blade feel and makes very little noise while cutting whiskers. Almost Brass General like in feel, efficiency and smoothness. Makes me rethink this mild vs aggressive razors theory all over again. By the way, it took down 3 days stubble without a whimper. Impressive.

View attachment 859624

Well Gus after reading your impression of the Mamba maybe I should have given it more time. I got mine when they first came out and I couldn't get a great shave out of it as I thought it was to mild and sold it within a week or so after getting it but if your saying Brass General good then it's got me thinking maybe I just didn't give it enough time as I to have a lot more efficient razors in my den and at the time thought why keep a razor that doesn't shave as efficiently or as smooth as lets say my Paradigm for example. Good write up! :thumbup1:

I tried my first shave with the Mamba this morning.
My normal go to razor is the RR Wunderbur Slant.
The Mamba is so gentle I literally had to stop after the first stroke and check and see if I did in fact put in a blade. While I know I did, I was so struck by the smoothness that I doubted myself.
As a daily shaver this has to be a hands down winner for comfort.
While it does not shave as close as the RR Slant it is more than good enough for every day use.
As the day wore on I also noted my face felt great all day long.
There is no question that the RR Mamba is my new go to Razor.
This does not mean I will stop using my Wunderbur Slant just not every day.
I am extremely fussy about my shave and I have several blade sample packs so I constantly review how a different blade works with a different Razor.
I go so far as to have two identical Razors and use a default standard Razor Blade with a test blade. Use One Razor one Standard Blade on the Port Side and a Second Razor one Test Blade on the Starboard side of my face. This can make for some interesting mornings and some times not so pleasant days living with the results of the shave on the Starboard Side of my face.
Those who have not tried the RR Mamba are missing out on an excellent shave.

I have been using mine lately and it’s the smoothest ATG shaver I own. I do my standard 3 passes, WTG, XTG, and an ATG pass with some buffing. DFS borderline BBS every time. Great razor for sure. I’m going to be using it on the hot days when I don’t want to deal with irritation.

I love the look, size and weight of the mamba. Shaving with it, on the other hand, not so much.
The first three shaves with it, I used an Astra SP, resulting in three pass shaves with plenty of clean up to address rough feeling spots (so more like 4.5 passes).
Today, tried a Feather (after reading several posts). Worst shave in years. Major razor burn.

I love the look, size and weight of the mamba. Shaving with it, on the other hand, not so much.
The first three shaves with it, I used an Astra SP, resulting in three pass shaves with plenty of clean up to address rough feeling spots (so more like 4.5 passes).
Today, tried a Feather (after reading several posts). Worst shave in years. Major razor burn.
Feathers feel rough in the Mamba for me too. My favorites are Nacet, SharpEdge and Kai. The Nacet is the one I always use though.

I just had my best shave with the RazoRock Mamba. I used a Bic Chrome Platinum blade as recommended by another user here and it was a no no nonsense BBS shave. So smooth it was unreal. I love the Mamba even more. I did replace the handle with the Maggard MR11 and to me it looks and feels great, very comfortable and easy to maneuver around the face. I’m really liking short knurled handles on my razors and big comfortable handles on my shaving brushes.

Just to insert some juice back into this thread, all Mamba users myself included, RazoRock has leaked some info and a pic on the new .70 base plate in the works. It was posted on Instagram earlier today along with a new style handle that looks super grippy and bad - a**. Unfortunately, links are not allowed on this forum but, trust me the plate and combo looks really good. Good stuff ahead for Mamba users...

Just to insert some juice back into this thread, all Mamba users myself included, RazoRock has leaked some info and a pic on the new .70 base plate in the works. It was posted on Instagram earlier today along with a new style handle that looks super grippy and bad - a**. Unfortunately, links are not allowed on this forum but, trust me the plate and combo looks really good. Good stuff ahead for Mamba users...

Whoot, that's cool news. I hope it keeps the blade ridged like the original baseplate. I find the Mamba to be buttery smooth on my wire beard.

Top Bottom