What's new

Who loves the Drive-In?!

So...next month is my birthday, and my ritual is a trip to the drive-in and the zoo the following morning. I'm 33 going on 7, I know. But man, can you beat the drive-in for pure nostalgia? My first drive-in was with my folks (of course). We saw the obligatory double feature - "Star Trek:The Motion(less) Picture", and "Buck Rogers". Oh, those were the days. I don't know what I'll see this year, but I know the mosquitos will be out in force, the corndogs will be hot and greasy, and the sound will suck. And dammit, I'm gonna love it!

There are still working drive-ins?? Wow, how cool is that??

I grew up in Iowa and just about every Saturday night my folks took us to the drive-in. If we didn't want to watch the movie, we went to the play ground right under that big ole monster of a screen. Really great memories.

We have two drive-ins nearby, around 40 minutes in different directions. They are a ton of fun. These days, the sound works through your car stereo so you get awesome sound. The theater has it's own radio channel that broadcasts everything. Long gone are those little boxes that fit on your window. You can pay a very small fee and bring your own food if you want. You're not "supposed" to bring booze, but, well, you know! The only downer is that if you have a family it can be a pretty late night since it doesn't get dark enough for the first movie until around 8pm. What a great way to spend a summer night!

33 going on 7. Love it!
Loved the memories of going to the drive in if not the experience itself (bad sites, speaker not working well, no stereo sound).

I grew up at the Drive-In. Nowadays I have to drive about an hour to get to the closest one, but it's well worth it. Last week it was a double feature with Terminator: Salvation and Night at the Museum 2. You can't beat ten bucks a car for a first-run double feature.

I used to love the drive-in. I don't think there has been one on Long Island for at least 20 years. About 10 years ago, we took the kids to one in Lake Worth, Florida. I believe we saw Liar, Liar; although I wouldn't swear to it.

Ahhh ... the good ol' days . . . .

Speaking of drive-ins...Sonic is giving away Root Beer Floats from 8p to close tonight...I'm goin'! :tongue:

Last edited:
There are still just a few in so cal. I used to go all the time when I was a kid. The one thing that upset me was when they got rid of the speaker boxes and you could only listen to on the FM channel. That speaker box added to the nostalgia.

I had plenty of good times at the drive-in back when I was in high school/college ( a long time ago). I don't remember too many of the movies, however...:wink:

I do remember watching "Patton", with George C. Scott, when it was a first run movie. And I believe the last movie I saw at a drive-in was during a visit to Michigan. The movie was the first "Rocky" movie (first run also).:biggrin:

Great drive-in in Ennis, TX (about 1 hour south of Dallas off I-45) called the Galaxy.

http://www.galaxydriveintheatre.com/

Four screens, all current flicks in double feature format, good snack bar with high quality grub (nothing fancy, just good, and reasonably priced). $6 per adult, less for kids 5-12, and under 5 are free.

You can use either the FM radio or the crappy speakers.

Sadly there are no working drive ins where I live anymore. I do have a nice memento from the drive in, though. A two inch scar running through my eyebrow.

When I was really little my parents went to see a Dirty Harry movie. I got to play the game we always played when entering the drive in, lie in the back of the car very quite and still, with a rug over me until we were past the ticket booth. (My parents were pretty tight with money, I guess).

Anyway, the movie started and I was bored so I was messing around in the back of the big Plymoth station wagon. I tripped, cut myself open on a bolt and my parents never did see the end of the film.

Memories. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Every once in a while, one of my local drive-ins (we have 2 that are near-ish) will show a special program. About 3 years ago they did an all night horror feature from dusk til dawn. They showed Evil Dead 2, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I can't even remember what else. Awesome!

Every once in a while, one of my local drive-ins (we have 2 that are near-ish) will show a special program. About 3 years ago they did an all night horror feature from dusk til dawn. They showed Evil Dead 2, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I can't even remember what else. Awesome!

That reminds me of the all-nighters they used to run at the drive-in in Billings, MT when I was growing up. They used to have regular runs of all the Planet of the Apes movies and another night of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns. Ah...the memories!

I grew up at the Drive-In. Nowadays I have to drive about an hour to get to the closest one, but it's well worth it. Last week it was a double feature with Terminator: Salvation and Night at the Museum 2. You can't beat ten bucks a car for a first-run double feature.

Are you going somewhere in NC? The closest one to my house (in Durham) shut down about a year or two ago.

Great drive-in in Ennis, TX (about 1 hour south of Dallas off I-45) called the Galaxy.

http://www.galaxydriveintheatre.com/

Four screens, all current flicks in double feature format, good snack bar with high quality grub (nothing fancy, just good, and reasonably priced). $6 per adult, less for kids 5-12, and under 5 are free.

You can use either the FM radio or the crappy speakers.

I've been to this more than a few times. A great set up. I wish there were more of these.

Top Bottom