What's new

Who has gone back to SB after using OC razors?

I have Fatip Piccolos with both open and closed plates. i go back and forth between both depending on mood.

I started out by using the OC plate a few months before i got the gentile closed one. The OC needs a little extra concentration and attention, it definitely keeps your technique in check. But once you have that ultra delicate OC finesse technique down... and then apply it to using the closed plate,... it makes the closed plate feel like kind of a carefree smooth easy-going dream of a shave.

Last edited:
I use both types but have to say I prefer solid bars. With open combs I have to take more care, and I prefer the easier to use ones. In particular the New RFB #77 - that one I absolutely love. But so far this is the only open comb to be on my Top 10 razor list. Hope to break this though with my #15 Aristocrat inbound :001_tt1:

I’ve been partial to OCs since my journey began. But lately I’ve become quite enamored with my British Hybrid Tech. It glides and cuts like there isn’t even a blade in it. I still like variety — but when I want comfort, I whip out the Hybrid Tech.

Hybrid Tech :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:
A96839D7-CDD5-404D-8748-699D5CE153D9.png

Never thought OC razors shaved as well as SB to be honest. They glide just better over the skin and take less mindfulness during the shave.

I have evolved from liking small gap combined with a generous blade exposure to liking big gaps and no blade exposure.

For small gaps, nothing beats an open comb. The open comb design will allow the razor to work with even smaller gaps than what is possible for a safety bar razor. The bigger the gap is, the less important is the comb. It still has some benefits but not big enough that one need to be an open comb fanatic.

My current favorite razor is the iKon X3 slant razor. It got a huge gap, almost no blade exposure and a safety bar. So I kind of went from open combs to safety bar. It is not like I think safety bar razors are superior, but because the razor fulfilling best my wish (huge gap and almost no blade exposure combined with slanting) happens to have a safety bar.

Your ability to shave two or three times a day with an OC makes you a national treasure, Clay!
I can't recall 2 OC shaves in one day. I was learning at the time, and my fixed kit was a VDH TTO, later changed to a Gillette Slim at setting 3. The second was sometimes an OC. During SRlantEmber (learning SR, Slantember, and SEptember), The Slant was a bar, and the SE was OC(two shaves, often WTG pass was a SR on one of the shaves).

Thanks!

Top Bottom