What's new

White things have black film in my house?

I noticed that sometimes white objects such as toilet seats and white plastic turn a blackish tint in my house. It can be cleaned off ususally without much effort. We don't smoke, change are filters regulary, and light candles for only several hours a month.

Any ideas?

I just don't want to breath in anything harmful.

What the others said. Also to consider, particularly if found only in damper environments, must and/or mildew.

Gas does not usually produce a black soot. How old is the furnace? Look at the feed registers. Do they have the black film on them? If not the problem probably lies elsewhere.

About the heater: If you really are getting soot from the furnace then that is a strong indicator that the manifold is cracked and allowing the combustion gasses into the house. The real danger there is carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas furnaces are designed to vent all of the combustion gasses out of the house.

About the heater: If you really are getting soot from the furnace then that is a strong indicator that the manifold is cracked and allowing the combustion gasses into the house. The real danger there is carbon monoxide poisoning. Gas furnaces are designed to vent all of the combustion gasses out of the house.

Excellent point.

That is very true. But we don't presently know that it is soot. We need more info. He should install some CO detectors, and probably have the heat exchanger checked for cracks.

Ok, this is a weird topic to bring up, lol.

That said...is there any construction going on anywhere (within a few blocks) of your home, or any neighbors doing any sort of renovations?

I'm amazed. :blink: Symptom: black film on stuff. Diagnosis: Cracked manifold in furnace.

And bingo! Only on B&B! :lol:

I have some Carbon Monoxide detectors already. Maybe I will buy some more.

Ducts probably do need to be cleaned.

No construction or renovations in the area.

Sleep painting. (Likely with watercolors.)

But seriously, I'd go with the duct cleaning. How long have you had the house?

Top Bottom