What's new

Which second SR?

Again, thanks to all. I found a NOS Filarmonica Medallon Taurino that will be the first. It will join of a special stable of blades (TI Silver Wing, and ShaveSmith custom Damascus), and thinking of expanding to one from each blade making region, perhaps with an appropriate brush (it's easy for the Taurino: vie-long and BM Seville and I'm there). That leaves a good Solingen (Wacker is amazing), CV Heljerstrand, Kamasori, and perhaps something from the UK - we'll see.

Merci to all!

Again, thanks to all. I found a NOS Filarmonica Medallon Taurino that will be the first. It will join of a special stable of blades (TI Silver Wing, and ShaveSmith custom Damascus), and thinking of expanding to one from each blade making region, perhaps with an appropriate brush (it's easy for the Taurino: vie-long and BM Seville and I'm there). That leaves a good Solingen (Wacker is amazing), CV Heljerstrand, Kamasori, and perhaps something from the UK - we'll see.

Merci to all!

A super super start!

Three months have flown by! What I'd intended to be a 'uno mas, y no mas' has turned out to be a journey. A great, journey. Thoughts follow:
  • First and foremost, this is about shaving. Simple as that. Complicated as that. Complications include:
    • How much it matters that I'm present. SR shaving has a way of letting you know if you're not all there. Sure, skills have picked up, but I still need to be present for each pull of the blade. I like that.
    • Learning my beard. The different ways it grows. The places where the grain switches, unexpectedly, ready to grab the blade if I'm not minding what my face will allow. I like that.
    • Learning different blades. Steels. Sizes and grinds. All so different, some I truly love, none that I loath. The sounds, the feel of a hollow vs wedge. How my 5/8 TI is a silent assassin. How the Fili needs to announce every pull. How the below Dorko (what a name, no?), was solid as a 2x4, trying to match the Fili sing. Each of the 6 are so different. Amazing how much variety there is in these tools that do the same exact thing: remove hair. I like that.
  • Second, the rest.
    • It's fascinating to comprehend how important honing is. When I started this post, I had never had a properly honed blade. Day: meet night, night now being the past.
    • Stroping, too, though I can only only say I'm just learning (same for honing).
    • It's remarkable how capable some of you are, be it honing, restoring, or as a historian of some particular brand. That you share your skills/knowledge so freely (or, for a reasonable fee!), makes this a unique community in an Us/Them world.
    • I love the SotD and Acquisition threads.

Per the hardware bit, I've picked from the usual suspects, the most recent acquisition below (repeated in the SotD thread).

Best,

Weston

IMG_0342.JPG

Thank you for your feedback. I'd say that your journey is very typical. You are always welcome to ask and in my case you'll get an answer that always is free which pretty much is what it is worth.:001_tongu

For your second SR I recommend the Feather Artist Club. I do so for the convenience. It is easy to travel with due to the scabbard. It never rusts. It is always sharp. It is always smooth.

It may become your one and only!

For your second SR I recommend the Feather Artist Club. I do so for the convenience. It is easy to travel with due to the scabbard. It never rusts. It is always sharp. It is always smooth.

It may become your one and only!
We're all different. I do have positive things to say about my Feather DX, but smooth isn't one of them. Efficient and as sharp as the Grim Reaper's scythe yes but also extremely demanding. :001_smile Then again I've read that the SS model is much more user friendly.

For the first four shaves the blades are very bitey. They mellow after.

I am so very practiced with the DX now that I can shave easily and quickly with it. Indeed the SS is a little less aggressive.

We're all different. I do have positive things to say about my Feather DX, but smooth isn't one of them. Efficient and as sharp as the Grim Reaper's scythe yes but also extremely demanding. :001_smile Then again I've read that the SS model is much more user friendly.

When coupled with a Pro Guard blade, my folding Feather SS is both comfortable and effective. I would not spend more for a wooden handle.

Merci to all!
Please share a picture of the NOS Filarmonica Medallon Taurino!

Top Bottom