What's new

Which Qualities Are Most Important To You When Buying Artisan Soap

What Are The 3 Most Important Factors When Choosing An Artisan Shave Soap?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Performance, Ingredients, Price.

If an artisan makes just one soap then I can see fragrance ranking up there. If an artisan has a top-notch base then they will have a scent that I can live with. Fragrance may be important when picking a particular soap but has no bearing on what brand of soap I'm purchasing. They all have at least one that is useable. I don't even notice the scent when shaving. Good post shave feel is a bonus but I reckon that's what a good balm is supposed to take care of.

Performance, Ingredients, Price.

If an artisan makes just one soap then I can see fragrance ranking up there. If an artisan has a top-notch base then they will have a scent that I can live with. Fragrance may be important when picking a particular soap but has no bearing on what brand of soap I'm purchasing. They all have at least one that is useable. I don't even notice the scent when shaving. Good post shave feel is a bonus but I reckon that's what a good balm is supposed to take care of.

+1 - in that exact order. The only exception for me would be Tallow - in which case I usually skip the soap entirely inspite of the performance.

Performance, price and scent.

It has to work, be within my price point and I definitely have to be able to stand the scent. These are all of equal importance to me.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Fragrance first, if it doesn't smell like something I want on my face I just won't use it, and to me that's a complete waste of $. Just PIF'd a couple to a buddy new to DE shaving, hopefully he likes them better than I do. There was one a few months back that smelled like the inside of a generations old boot; couldn't stand it in my bathroom but my brother loved it cause he's a weirdo like that, so it's his now lol

Performance has to be there, fortunately I have a friend that's been doing this a long time; he's never steered me wrong when it comes to good soaps.

Artwork has to be cool....this might be a little TMI, but I have a certain self image; if something is too whimsical or just not what I think of as cool, I'm not going to buy it sight unseen.....if it's in a shop and smells great, I'll snag it and rip the label, but not over the internet.

Scent, scent, scent, scent........

All soaps perform - they all lather well enough to shave with. Very few fail in that.

+1

Scent #1, Price #2, performance #3

Sure, not all soaps perform equal and I do like some more than others. Yet, I can't recall ever discarding a soap for performance issues which I can't say the same of for scent.

For me it’s reputation, availability, and scent.

I don’t buy much or very often, but when I do I tend to lean towards artisans thy have made it beyond the first 6 months that stand by their product. I want to see folks succeed, but when they are changing the base every four weeks I don’t want to pay to be a tester.
Also, because I don’t stock pile soaps much anymore, so I tend to stay away from limited releases. FOMO no longer has me in his grasp.

Scent is scent, I want to love the smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The three I voted for, were performance, price, and fragrance, but I'll comment on all six.

Ingredients:
Aside from a quick glance to make sure it has no menthol (which can cause me skin problems), I pay little attention to the ingredients. I care about the nett result, but I'm no interested in how they go about delivering that.

Performance:
This is key, and the sole reason for using soap in the first place. Not every soap can provide the slickness I need with my tap water, at the thinness of lather I prefer for my technique. If I have to apply the product too rich to get slickness, or don't get a good post shave feel, I'll not be buying it again.

Artwork:
Irrelevant.

Quality of container:
Unless the container is so shabby that it won't survive till the soap is finished, this too is irrelevant.

Price:
I have to feel I'm getting value for money, and this isn't just upfront cost, but both the quantity and quality of shaves I get. MdC gave me nice shaves, but costs around 5x per shave what Mitchell's does, and gives me a poorer post shave finish too. To me, it doesn't give value for money.

Fragrance:
I don't want bold scented soaps, and have given Tabac and the American artisans a wide berth for this reason. I should be able to ignore the scent, and focus on the shave. If I can't then I've not got the full attention on the sharp blade on my face that I should have.

So while performance and price are key, an invasive fragrance could make a soap unusable, and make price and performance irrelevant.

Scent, scent, scent, scent........

All soaps perform - they all lather well enough to shave with. Very few fail in that.

I am in a similar camp these days. But I think that this is largely a sign of an experienced wetshaver. Someone who has the right razors for their skin, the right routine, good technique. When you are using sub-optimal tools, technique and routine, preformance is the #1 thing. At least that is how it used to be for me.

When I was dragging a Muhle DE89 and ATT M1 over my face two years ago, I wasn't even worried about fragrance. The only thing that mattered was that I didn't want to draw blood and I didn't want irritation, and at that point, I was hunting for the best performance. That is when I started buying GD, DG, WK. And it helped me get through that phase.

Then I discovered the Fatip Gentile and combined with improving technique and routine, I got to a place where performance of a soap no longer drove whether I would bleed or be irritated. With the addition of my RR GCs and Mambas, I have now all but retired the Fatip Gentile and I can shave with any soap, even those like Mike's which I had temporarily benched or Siliski which is just a so-so performer for me.

Matter of fact, I am re-arranging my den slightly today to put away all the winter scents and put all the summer scents within easy reach.

I have tried a lot of soaps. Performance and scent are my two concerns. Everything else is secondary.

I have some soaps that perform exceptionally well, but I just do not enjoy using them because the scent is not to my liking. There are also some scents that irritate my skin.

Then there are soaps that have a wonderful aroma yet the performance falls somewhat short.

But then there are those soaps that have exceptional performance and a wonderful scent. They are a joy to use.

If a soap also includes a great container, attractive artwork, etc. that is simply a bonus.

For me pricing is not an issue until the price gets above $25. Although I do have a few of soaps that exceed that level, I have to be absolutely certain that I will love both the performance and the scent before spending more than that amount. That keeps some expensive soaps out of my den, even though they may be wonderful.

Top Bottom