What's new

Which one to buy?

Hi all-im a complete newbie and am planning on buying a razor etc on the net in the next few days! Iv absolutely no idea what soap im looking for! Iv got sensitive skin on my jaw bone and ingrown hairs on my neck-which shaving soaps/creams should i look into and which pre shave oils,washes and after shave products should i get as a starter? Cheers for all your help in advance.

I wouldn't worry about a pre-shave product; they're usually not necessary if you make a good lather. Just try shaving after you get out of the shower. As far as a face wash, no need to go fancy there, either. right now I have some Baxter's of California and some C.O. Bigelow face washes I got on sale, but you can pick up a Neutrogena face wash at Wal-Mart or something and do just fine.

the suggestions above on soaps are great, although if you're having problems with irritation and ingrowns right now, I might start with a shave cream. The creams seem to be just a tiny bit easier to get a really good lather; using soap takes a wee bit more effort to get the lather thick enough to stop the irritation.

For aftershaves, people around here love Thayer's witch hazel and/or alum blocks, I think Aqua Velva is great (specially on an irritated face - once you get past the sting it cools your face down quickly). If you want something a little more moisturizing I know Charles at QED makes great ones that aren't too expensive. I've also had good luck with Pre de Provence's aftershave balm. Nivea works pretty well if you want something you can likely find at a store locally.

Another vote for the HoneyBee Spa soaps, the shea butter is a great moisturizer. For an easy to find value, don't forget the Nivea Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm.

I have sensitive and fairly dry skin and St. Charles Shave Tony's Choice Sensitive after shave is a godsend!

I'm also digging the QED shavestick and Nancy Boy Signature shave cream.

I have sensitive skin too, especially the neck (which I find the most difficult to shave). It's easier to get a good lather from cream compared to soaps as the others have mentioned above. So, I would recommend you start out with a cream. My favourite aftershave balm is the Nivea moisturizer for sensitive skin, and it doesn't make your skin oily.

I have sensitive skin too and had ingrown hairs and razor burn when I was still using my Fusion and goo. Here's what I am using now:

Merkur HD with Feather blade
Proraso Omega Boar Brush
Glycerine (cheap bottle from Walmart) - I reapply it before each pass
QED Fresh Lime Soap/Proraso (green) Shave Cream - either works well
Nivea Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm

These are the relatively inexpensive items that work well for me. You might want to start with a different blade since the Feather blades are so sharp.

If you live near a Target, they should have all the Proraso products, some glycerine, and the Nivea ASB.

If you're ordering a razor online, QED has great prices and his shave soaps are very good.

Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

HoneyBee Spa has a great unscented soap plus others listed on Ebay. :smile:

Another vote for the HoneyBee Spa soaps, the shea butter is a great moisturizer. For an easy to find value, don't forget the Nivea Sensitive Extra Soothing Balm.

The Honeybee Soaps are my favorite. Simply Great!

+4

If you PM Sue she will help you get the right soap.
If you are worried about sensitivity to fragrance try the unscented

Another vote for the QED glycerin soaps. I have them in various scents and they all provide a close comfortable shave with no irritation.

Top Bottom