What's new

Which of your DE razors is the worst? Why do you keep it?

MingShi 3000s; head is crooked (like a slant) at settings >5, doesn't shave well=useless. A $9 not worth even giving away.
Merkur 15 doesn't get me close enough , looks nice (in a box).

The Yaqi Knight is practically unusable. It was dirt cheap, though. The ones I didn' care for that I spent too much on are a Gillette open comb Tech, I just wish that was a better razor, and a British Gillette Aristocrat open comb. It's 50% unusable because of a broken tooth on one side.

Geez, I think I just bought my least favourite. A Razorock milled SLOC. After 2 weeks I have a nice handle and a head I won't be using again. Pretty rough.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like all of me DE razors and it is tough to choose between them. Sometimes though it occurs to me that I have not chosen to use a particular razor in a long while and that must tell me something. Currently my least used razors are the English flare tip rocket and the English rocket HD 500. Both of those are great razors, they are smooth as butter and very well made, they just do not make me smile and I find them utilitarian and joyless. They are both lovely examples and I keep them as there is little money tied up in them and I hope someday to rediscover the pleasure in them that once I had. Soon though I will thin the herd and as things stand they will go.

Geez, I think I just bought my least favourite. A Razorock milled SLOC. After 2 weeks I have a nice handle and a head I won't be using again. Pretty rough.

I like all of me DE razors and it is tough to choose between them. Sometimes though it occurs to me that I have not chosen to use a particular razor in a long while and that must tell me something. Currently, my least used razors are the English flare tip rocket and the English rocket HD 500. Both of those are great razors, they are smooth as butter and very well made, they just do not make me smile and I find them utilitarian and joyless. They are both lovely examples and I keep them as there is little money tied up in them and I hope someday to rediscover the pleasure in them that once I had. Soon though I will thin the herd and as things stand they will go.
[/QUOT
I also have a few Gillette Brit razors (Red Tip, 500 HD, Rocket Flair) that are similar shavers. All smooth and built well but they do knock the shave out of the park. They stay in the den because they are very nice vintage Brits and provide a smooth quick decent shave. They are a nice change of pace. My Brit Aristocrat Jr. provides a much closer shave while being very smooth.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think maybe the reason is that I am in the UK and therefore English items do not seem as interesting or 'exotic' as some US, French and German vintage razors. This is despite the English razor often being in some ways superior to the US equivalent. The exception in the Eclipse Red Ring which is my all time favourite, and was made in Sheffield, England. I guess we often do not fully appreciate what is under our noses. 😁

My motto has always been "the razor that you like the least is the one you haven't shaved with often enough." There are plenty that took a while for me to come around to but I seem to be able to get a decent shave out of them eventually. For example it took me a while to come to love my Fatip Piccolo. Once I got it dialed in it shaves great! Used it this morning.

Top Bottom