What's new

Which of your DE razors is the worst? Why do you keep it?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I like this question, and it's an easy one for me to answer: the Merkur 34C. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with this razor, but when I look at my collection and various razors, I realize that I enjoy shaving with Vintage razors -- even if they require a good deal of care and technique while shaving. So if it's not a vintage razor, I mentally "ding" it. I do have moderns I like, but they are (to me) superior performers with amazing fit-and-finish, and have a "look" that I like. The 34C does not ring my modern "bells", but it was my first DE razor -- which I paid too much for -- so it "warms the bench" and looks forlorn. I will let it go one of these days.....perhaps in a PIF to a newbie.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Brother Fred nailed it for me, too. Mine's a Merkur 38C, long handle version of the 34C. It's a fine razor, but it was my learner and in fact is the only regular DE I own. I have two other DE razors, both slants. Part of it for me is feeling like regular DEs are too easy to find. I like the quirky, the vintage, and the modern take on vintage. For some reason, a razor that gives an excellent shave in a technologically-sophisticated package -- without having something a little unusual about it -- just isn't something that interests me.

My son after shaving electric for the last 10 years now thinks he'd like to try a straight. Part of me says, "Fly right at 'er" and part of me says, "Kind of a big jump, ain't it?" He's getting a starter package that will include this Merkur. I'll toss in what he wants, but the deal is he really should build his way into it. But hey; he's over 21 so he can do as he likes.

Besides, chicks dig scars.

O.H.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Probably a $2 Yuma from Turkey that I keep because it's a shaving challenge and unplated Zamak looks so cool.

I own DE razors from a variety of manufacturers. The only one I do not like is the Merkur 25C open comb. The teeth of the comb are very narrow and scrape my face. The only way I can use it is to shave off the cap so the comb barely touches my face. I have other open comb razors with wider teeth and they work just fine. As to why I keep the Merkur, I really have no idea. It is not worth the hassle of selling it, so I might give it away one day.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
A cheap plastic TTO that I bought off eBay by mistake. It weighs nothing and I have not even tried it. The barn doors are even plastic.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I bought a Lord TTO on a trip to Singapore. It is unusable. Nasty razor. But it's a souvenir from an amazing adventure, so I keep it.

So, when I read the thread title, I thought it was a rhetorical question. In other words, I thought the OP was trying to say that you SHOULD sell your worst razor, rather than that he was looking for explanations as to why you didn't sell it. Like when a parent asks a child "Why are you doing that?" and it generally means "stop doing that," lol.

So, imagining the question was posed in that manner, I have the answer as to why I haven't sold my worst razor. Because if I did, I would only have one razor, and I don't want to just have one razor.

Hear me out. For the sake of discussion, let's say I have 17 razors, one of which is my "worst." What if I sold it? Well, then I'd have 16 razors, and, logically speaking, one of them would now be my worst. So I'd have to sell it, too. This process repeats over and over again until I am left with only a single razor.

This might be fine for some people, and there are probably lots of people out there that only own and use a single razor (not on B&B, of course). For me, I like variety, and will never be found with only one razor, although I really, really do think that I should be selling a bunch of my current razors, many of which never see the light of day.
Brother Kingfish is a deep thinker. May his tribe increase!

A shavette I received as a gift (not a bad razor, just one that I don't have the skill for without practice combined with my unwillingness to practice!), my RazoRock Lupo (feels rough to me no matter what I do with it, so it's in my giveaway pile for someday), PAA's Grand Shave King modern replica head that's too mild to be useful (also inthe giveaway pile), or an old SE razor - a lather catcher that looks incredibly cool but feels like a rusty kitchen cleaver. I think; I may be imagining things!

I like this question, and it's an easy one for me to answer: the Merkur 34C. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with this razor, but when I look at my collection and various razors, I realize that I enjoy shaving with Vintage razors -- even if they require a good deal of care and technique while shaving. So if it's not a vintage razor, I mentally "ding" it. I do have moderns I like, but they are (to me) superior performers with amazing fit-and-finish, and have a "look" that I like. The 34C does not ring my modern "bells", but it was my first DE razor -- which I paid too much for -- so it "warms the bench" and looks forlorn. I will let it go one of these days.....perhaps in a PIF to a newbie.

+1 to all said, Fred - my personal opinion also, both as regards the 34C and vintage/modern in general. The 34C is the only razor I genuinely did not like the shave of. But it is a beautiful razor to look at. But still sold both mine - including a great condition silver vintage one.

Yuma razor, terrible quality, doesnt hold blade rigid enough for me. I keep it mainly just because i like how the handle looks.

A cheap plastic TTO that I bought off eBay by mistake. It weighs nothing and I have not even tried it. The barn doors are even plastic.
You have to try it! Just imagine....what if you received the most incredible shave with this? I mean, I doubt you will. But, what if?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only have four DE razors, and the three I bought new (plastic Wilkie Classic, Merkur 985, and Jagger DE3D14) are the best. That leaves one vintage Gillette bringing up the rear.

It's a Super Slim Twist, and my birth year razor (T4). While it's the one I reach for least, it's good enough, and my only butterfly opener. At some point I'll put a custom handle on it.

I was PIF'ed a 1954 Superspeed. I found the head to be too large and bulky especially to get in close to my nose, so I PIF'ed it to my son who loves it.

My other 3 razors are uniquely perfect for me so I will keep all of them, with no need to look any further to aquire more or downsize.

I have 75 to 100 razors, DE, SE, Injectors, mostly vintage, mostly Gillette (you can never have too many adjustable razors). Most are good, some are great, some are bad.
When it comes to my worst razor I have two.

Number 2 is a vintage Adams/Merkur 3 piece open comb. I like mild razors (very sensitive skin) but this razor is so mild it doesn't cut half the time. I can feel it and hear it cut but it seems to only cut every other hair. But when I put a shim in it, it shaves great!
Why do I keep it? It's a vintage Merkur that looks great, feels nice it the hand and gives a good shave if you don't lose the shim.

Number 1 is a no name, made in India 3 piece that is chrome plated with a rainbow, swirly, multicolored coating on it that you have to align the blade by hand and is way too aggressive. The multicolor coating will scratch off after you shave with it (if you can) less than a month. This razor was made poorly and too aggressive and was given a fancy coloring to sucker people into thinking it is more than it really is.
Why do I keep it? Because the rainbow, swirly, multicolored coating just looks so Fricken' Cool!!!

At the moment PAA Bakelite open comb Razor. I never got a comfy shave from that. I changed the blades, pressure, angles etc etc but always shaves are very rough. When shaving blade gives a feeling of stuttering just like the blade is loose.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When shaving blade gives a feeling of stuttering just like the blade is loose.

I get that a lot with plastic -- and aluminum -- razors. I'm not a real fanatic for mass, but I seem to need a little mass to make it work better.

O.H.

The only truly bad razor I've purchased was the original fendrihan all stainless. It had a ridiculous amount of blade exposure and that exposure was very uneven. I finally got rid of it a few months ago.

Of my current razors i really like them all. The one I probably like the least is my Merkur 34c hd. The shave is ok. But it just feels cheap to me compared to my stainless and vintage gillettes.
I don't have the original, but did buy the mk2 version which also had uneven exposure and seemed downright dangerous. However, Fendrihan promptly sent me a replacement for free without even asking for the old one back (I sent pictures). The new head aligned perfectly. Still a lot of exposure, but a very good shaver if you're careful. My least favorite has to be the $1 Assured from Dollar Tree. Mine also had uneven exposure, but rather than attempting to contact Assured in China, I traded it for another from a member here which did align properly. Still dreadful.

I don't have the original, but did buy the mk2 version which also had uneven exposure and seemed downright dangerous. However, Fendrihan promptly sent me a replacement for free without even asking for the old one back (I sent pictures). The new head aligned perfectly. Still a lot of exposure, but a very good shaver if you're careful. My least favorite has to be the $1 Assured from Dollar Tree. Mine also had uneven exposure, but rather than attempting to contact Assured in China, I traded it for another from a member here which did align properly. Still dreadful.

That much blade exposure is downright scary to me. You are are a braver man than me. LOL.

I had forgotten i bought a dollar tree razor as well. It was usable for me but not enjoyable.

That much blade exposure is downright scary to me. You are are a braver man than me. LOL.

I had forgotten i bought a dollar tree razor as well. It was usable for me but not enjoyable.
It's ok, actually. Just don't bang it against your ear or let it slip from your fingers.

Top Bottom