What's new

Which next, 4/8 or 8/8 and why? One only allowed.

As @haggis said above, the larger size is easier to use. The smaller 4/8s are very light and nimble and require more concentration as you cannot rely on the weight of the blade to do the work. Also, they can bite, seemingly without warning.

My 8/8 is very easy to use so long as I'm mindful of the point which is unmuted and likes to let me know it exists on occasion. But it is a heavy blade and only requires placement on the skin and the weight of the razor does the work.

I would also recommend a 4/8 Swede if you decide to go the 4/8 route. I have a number of them and they take and hold a superb edge. You can also pick up fine examples for reasonable money. Although Heljestrand is the big name in Swedish razors, I am yet to find a bad brand from Sweden.

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question as to which one you should get. I like all of my razors and would hate to have to narrow them down to only a few.

Hmmmm. I haven't tried a Swedish steel SR yet. A 4/8 could be something to look into.
I have a larger number of Swedes than I care to admit. The older ones are Helberg and EA Berg frame backs. Also 4/8 and 5/8 of different grinds by different makers. I have not been disappointed with my collection of Swedish razors.

My current favourite Swedish razor is a 4/8 MK30 dressed in ivory which was bought for a very reasonable price.

Please note, my current favourite Swedish razor is likely to change next time another one comes into rotation.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a larger number of Swedes than I care to admit. The older ones are Helberg and EA Berg frame backs. Also 4/8 and 5/8 of different grinds by different makers. I have not been disappointed with my collection of Swedish razors.

My current favourite Swedish razor is a 4/8 MK30 dressed in ivory which was bought for a very reasonable price.

Please note, my current favourite Swedish razor is likely to change next time another one comes into rotation.
That last paragraph made me laugh out loud! We both must be humans my friend. Of course, you could be a "human BEAN" judging from your username....

I feel for brother @rbscebu ....he has the same problem as I do: we are both burdened with incredibly handsome faces, and we owe it to mankind to not put our incredibly handsome faces in risky situations. Therefore, after considerable thought, I must recommend the 8/8. We beautiful people are few, and must look out for each other.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
4/8. It’s like shaving with a sports car rather than a dump truck. 4/8 and 9/16 are my favorites. Rarely use 5/8 any longer.
Your 4/8 is a dump truck Steve! Lol.

8206D4A6-ECE2-406F-8377-97E6062C7AE7.jpeg

Not sure exactly what you would be looking for in a 4/8 or 8/8, but there are fewer 8/8 out there than 4/8 and the 8/8 tend to cost more, so I would start looking for an 8/8 and then if a gem of 4/8 pops up first snag the 4/8. Then when you ask 8/8 or 8/8, we will all provide the same answer :).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
About the only downside I see with a 4/8 SR is the need to clear the lather off it more often than larger SR's during the shave.
Not a problem. I usually have four to six little piles of lather on my sponge when I’m done. It really isn’t a consideration. May add fifteen seconds to your shave if that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not sure exactly what you would be looking for in a 4/8 or 8/8, but there are fewer 8/8 out there than 4/8 and the 8/8 tend to cost more, so I would start looking for an 8/8 and then if a gem of 4/8 pops up first snag the 4/8. Then when you ask 8/8 or 8/8, we will all provide the same answer :).
What a great idea!

Helje mk 30 all the way! I have a filli 14 and an 01 steel 8/8 razor (Portland razor) and the 4/8 is way more fun to use. I think you should also get a filli 14 though as well

Attachments

• NsynSVw.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 8
It is easier to detail a beard or mustache with the smaller razor. If you shave your entire face, it is easier to maneuver around your nose or chin with the smaller razor. Worth a try.

twocents.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use one of those to trim my nostril and ear hairs.

The hardest part was finding a brush small enough to fit in my orifices.
I find that a fine boar-hair artist's paintbrush works will for those tricky places when using my Gold Dollar W59.

Last edited:
Top Bottom