What's new

Which next, 4/8 or 8/8 and why? One only allowed.

something that i didn't see mentioned already, many 4/8s or less have smaller tangs than 9/16s - 6/8s, and 7/8s+ are usually larger.

i didn't realize this at first

For those who also never realized/thought about this.. the blank width and oem bevel angle drive the scaled dimensions.

After considering my previous reply, I vote 4/8. I used to think I didn't like them but it was mostly because my honing wasn't yet up to snuff. And a small razor seems to really amplify any harshness or inconsistencies. But a properly honed 4/8 is a joy to use, and I know you're capable of that. It's so much different than a 5/8 or bigger. Now don't get me wrong, big razors are fun too.

Try one, worst case, you hate it and you're out a few bucks (relative to an 8/8). Best case, you might love it.

4/8 razors are really an interesting experience. You should try one if you haven't already. My friodur 89 1/2 for example is really fun.

As you can not plan to find a nice razor (unless you want to buy a new one from current production) you can simply look for both sizes and buy when you run into a good offer (most likely you are going to end up buying both at the end anyway).

Last edited:
Speaking of 4/8 razors, I scored this Rudolf Schmidt 4/8 near wedge yesterday. 4/8 and near wedge, is that cool or what?

1641772282627.png

Just to throw a spanner in the works, some razors marked as 4/8 are actually 9/16. Both sizes have the same quirks and are more different to a 5/8 or 6/8 than an 8/8 is in my opinion.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just to throw a spanner in the works, some razors marked as 4/8 are actually 9/16. Both sizes have the same quirks and are more different to a 5/8 or 6/8 than an 8/8 is in my opinion.
I shaved with a 5/8 for a few days then went back to a 9/16 which I much prefer. I find there is as much difference between a 4/8 and 9/16 as there is between a 9/16 and a 5/8. The 9/16 and 4/8 are my favorite blade sizes by far. The agility of these small blades stops at 9/16. I much prefer shaving with a sports car than a truck.

Top Bottom