What's new

Which next, 4/8 or 8/8 and why? One only allowed.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have been SR shaving with blades from 5/8 to 7/8 and everything in between. I enjoy shaving with them all.

I am thinking of trying a different size SR. Which way should I go, 8/8 or 4/8 and why? I can only choose one.

To my everlasting surprise I find the slightly larger sizes somehow easier and more pleasant to use (as long as they are not too heavy). You seem to be a man who enjoys challenges, so you would (from my perspective) go 4/8.

I have a couple 4/8 that I absolutely love shaving with. One is technically 9/16, I guess. I don't have any 8/8, just one 15/16 and another on the way. From a shaving point of view, to me, there's a bigger difference between 4/8 and 5/8 than there is between 13/16 and 15/16. A wider blade is more forgiving of subtle changes in shave angle, of course. A 4/8 is pretty nimble.

I realize I didn't answer the question. I think it would depend on the brand and style of razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a couple 4/8 that I absolutely love shaving with. One is technically 9/16, I guess. I don't have any 8/8, just one 15/16 and another on the way. From a shaving point of view, to me, there's a bigger difference between 4/8 and 5/8 than there is between 13/16 and 15/16. A wider blade is more forgiving of subtle changes in shave angle, of course. A 4/8 is pretty nimble.

I realize I didn't answer the question. I think it would depend on the brand and style of razor.
You did indeed shed some light onto my dilemma, particularly the observation that the 4/8 is more nimble and could present more of a challenge.

For my tastes, it's a no-brainer. 4/8. So simple, light, and easy. I have more of them than I would ever admit to, even here.

I have a couple of 8/8 or larger. Even after I made myself shave with only them for a month, I still cut myself with them every 4-5 times, at a time when cutting myself basically does not happen otherwise.

Also: 4/8 vintage Swedish razors are easy to find at fairly reasonable prices. It was a popular size. And you can't beat the steel.

For my tastes, it's a no-brainer. 4/8. So simple, light, and easy. I have more of them than I would ever admit to, even here.

I have a couple of 8/8 or larger. Even after I made myself shave with only them for a month, I still cut myself with them every 4-5 times, at a time when cutting myself basically does not happen otherwise.

Also: 4/8 vintage Swedish razors are easy to find at fairly reasonable prices. It was a popular size. And you can't beat the steel.
It's funny you say that. I have another 4/8 which is not in my rotation that is responsible for the worst of my cuts. And not just nicks...it likes to slide into the skin without warning. I think it may just have an evil spirit.

Can't disagree about the Swedes though. They liked their small blades, and made them well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

You are not helping ME my friend, lol. I have a feeling that I need a wide blade, but I want a narrower one!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think he'll end up with both, and that will soon enough turn to 14, so he can have two 7 day sets...
Although I have/had a love of M7DS's, I am trying to curb that urge to experience many other SR makes and models and still say within my limited budget.

Never tried 4/8 and have no desire to. Started with 5/8. Now have a 5/8 or two, but mostly 6/8 and 7/8, with a couple of 8/8.

After three years in the game, I absolutely love a well balanced 8/8 the best, and don't particularly care for 5/8 any more.

My vote, try 8/8 next.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Never tried 4/8 and have no desire to. Started with 5/8. Now have a 5/8 or two, but mostly 6/8 and 7/8, with a couple of 8/8.

After three years in the game, I absolutely love a well balanced 8/8 the best, and don't particularly care for 5/8 any more.

My vote, try 8/8 next.
Since I'm living vicariously through you all, the way I'm reading this is that I need BOTH!

Top Bottom