What's new

Which next, 4/8 or 8/8 and why? One only allowed.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Here's one of my 4/8s. I have another I like as well. I don't share any of the negative thoughts given above on 4/8s. I find them quite user friendly and easy to maneuver.

View attachment 1387733
I’m with you on that. 4/8 and 9/16 are the only blades I use regularly. Those things are magic. Fortunately, most buy larger blades and that has kept the prices down for the ones in the know. The size of the razor is inversely proportionate to the size of one’s manhood I expect 😂.

Not sure exactly what you would be looking for in a 4/8 or 8/8, but there are fewer 8/8 out there than 4/8 and the 8/8 tend to cost more, so I would start looking for an 8/8 and then if a gem of 4/8 pops up first snag the 4/8. Then when you ask 8/8 or 8/8, we will all provide the same answer :).
Per @Frank Shaves and other’s comment, you can likely get 2-3 4/8 of for the price of an 8/8 in similar condition and of similar pedigree (by which I mean the desirability of the brand). CVH MK24 is a classic example of a Swedish steel razor in that category.

The MK 24 also comes in 5/8. I have one. My MK24 says MK No 24 5/8, possibly to differentiate from the typical 4/8.

I recall reading in another thread (I can't remember which one) that while typically 4/8, some are 5/8 and are less numerous. Fantastic razor though.
16412240670768810622041240630963.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
About the only downside I see with a 4/8 SR is the need to clear the lather off it more often than larger SR's during the shave.
Just get one. They are less expensive than larger razors and you won’t be satisfied until you try one.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What is that thing?

Hey Steve,

It’s a Japanese aural kamosori - it‘s used by Japanese barbers to trim inside the ear canal and likely nostrils though I’ve never seen that mentioned. Typiclly only the last 1” or so is sharpened. You do not use these yourself on any regions that you cannot see!

Amazingly, it’s two-piece construction, hard and soft iron just like its bigger siblings.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey Steve,

It’s a Japanese aural kamosori - it‘s used by Japanese barbers to trim inside the ear canal and likely nostrils though I’ve never seen that mentioned. Typiclly only the last 1” or so is sharpened. You do not use these yourself on any regions that you cannot see!

Amazingly, it’s two-piece construction, hard and soft iron just like its bigger siblings.
So I was right? I figured barbers used SOMETHING before small electric clippers came along. When I first started I just used scissors... I had SO MUCH clients that commented on my doing that without being asked.

I just figured I'd treat the customer how I'd want to be treated...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey Steve,

Should be called a Kamikaze. A friend of mine said a Vietnamese Barber would shave inside his ears with a straight which awed him. He ended up killing the guy though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I was right? I figured barbers used SOMETHING before small electric clippers came along. When I first started I just used scissors... I had SO MUCH clients that commented on my doing that without being asked.

I just figured I'd treat the customer how I'd want to be treated...
I would prefer the Turkish way.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Should be called a Kamikaze. A friend of mine said a Vietnamese Barber would shave inside his ears with a straight which awed him. He ended up killing the guy though.
Was the bloke killed the barber or your friend?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Was the bloke killed the barber or your friend?
The barber. He was VC. They got inside the Marine’s perimeter and a big battle ensued. Chuck was in his fighting hole and the guy stuck his head over and Chuck removed it. Chuck was shot in the back through his flak vest but recovered and was sent back to be wounded twice more. He mist have dug it because he came back for a second tour. Haven’t thought about that for a long time.

I would prefer the Turkish way.
During one of our golf trips to Turkey, one of the guys booked a straight razor shave with the resident barber. He explained that he had done it before and was initially very nervous about the open blade and flaming cotton ball to remove hair from the nostrils and ears, but after going through it a few times was looking forward to it.

We were having a few cold ones next to the swimming pool when he returned muttering never again, never again, never again.

I asked what was wrong with the shave, and he replied that the shave was fine, it's what happened afterwards that had him screaming like a girl. Instead of using the expected flaming cotton ball, the guy stuffed wax into his nose and ears and ripped it out with all the hairs attached.

Ouchy!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
During one of our golf trips to Turkey, one of the guys booked a straight razor shave with the resident barber. He explained that he had done it before and was initially very nervous about the open blade and flaming cotton ball to remove hair from the nostrils and ears, but after going through it a few times was looking forward to it.

We were having a few cold ones next to the swimming pool when he returned muttering never again, never again, never again.

I asked what was wrong with the shave, and he replied that the shave was fine, it's what happened afterwards that had him screaming like a girl. Instead of using the expected flaming cotton ball, the guy stuffed wax into his nose and ears and ripped it out with all the hairs attached.

Ouchy!
Perhaps this is a traditional Turkish test of manhood? Let's see if he screams like a girl, or continues smiling and conversing, unconcerned with the follicular trauma.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Honestly, I would say neither, for myself. I very much prefer 5/8 to 7/8 everywhere, every time. But if you are gonna try one, you will surely end up trying the other, as well, anyway.

something that i didn't see mentioned already, many 4/8s or less have smaller tangs than 9/16s - 6/8s, and 7/8s+ are usually larger.

i didn't realize this at first and while it may not be an issue for some. I did not enjoy the overall process with a 4/8s or thin tang razors. and many swedish razors have thinner tangs overall, i haven't noticed this on other countries.

IIRC there was good picture of the size differences in the filarmonica threads as that brand is easy to find size models

here is something i found online to show a bit of the difference 14 "7/8" to 13 "6/8" 12 (5/8) and there exists, based on the thread, an 11 (especial cabello or something like that) which is a 4/8 iirc, whcih i believe to have even smaller dimensions
on the tang, but not sure about the edge length. edit: in my mind, a hair dresser wouldn't hold a razor the same way to shave so the tang size doesn't appear to be an issue. but thats not even the point here, apologies.

11-1.jpg11-3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom