What's new

Which Italian soft soap should I get?

Get a 125g tub of each to try.

When you find the one you like the best get a kilo of it.

I could not decide so I got a kilo of all of them. Never regretted it.

Performance wise, they are fairly similar ( not identical, but similar), so any is fine. They do work well even in hard water, but most of them don't have tetrasodium EDTA or SLS, so if you have hard water, you may want to use extra product to compensate ( which is easier with soft soaps than hard)

Valobra, Cella, and P160 would be a good start. I would suggest a tub of each.
Also, any of the Razorock soaps would be an excellent choice. I highly recommend the Chianti Lavender and Violet from the Razorock Artisan line.

Get a 125g tub of each to try.

When you find the one you like the best get a kilo of it.

I could not decide so I got a kilo of all of them. Never regretted it.

I have a 125g tub of P.160 and Vitos Extra Coco, and a tub of Cella. Right now I prefer the Vitos as it seems slicker than the others, but the Cella seems to retain the almond scent the most. All three of them are excellent performers and very good smelling.

I support all the enablers out there who've said get more than one. You could go broke doing that with brushes (believe me, I know of what I speak), but soaps aren't so bad. Think of it as a legal, synthetic alternative for your AD habit. Can't deal with the artificial almond scent of soaps like Cella or the RR cacao, but the other RR flavors are dynamite. YMMV

Before any suggestion, what scents do you like?

I tend to prefer natural scents much more than cologne-scented soaps/creams. I really like almond (so that doesn't narrow it down much with the Italian soft soaps), lavender, lime, coconut, spicy, etc. I am also a face latherer btw.

Last edited:
Cella. Order the 1 kilo package. Good sales going on now and you will have enough to last the rest of the year. (The year 2014)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I tend to prefer natural scents much more than cologne-scented soaps/creams. I really like almond (so that doesn't narrow it down much with the Italian soft soaps), lavender, lime, coconut, spicy, etc. I am also a face latherer btw.

I definitely recommend Cella, RazoRock Chianti Lavender and Caprician Lemon. Among the three, I'd start with Cella.

I definitely recommend Cella, RazoRock Chianti Lavender and Caprician Lemon. Among the three, I'd start with Cella.

Ok, I'm ordering Cella first based on the numerous recommendations.
Marco, can you explain the scent difference between RR Chianti Lavender and RR King Louis? I'll probably order RazoRock soon.

I've tried a lot of the Italian soaps, can't handle any of the almond scents. Performance wise, you would have a LOT of trouble differentiating any of them in a blind, scentless performance test.

I happen to love the RazoRock Lemon scent, performance is great, and there's not a lot of useless "crap" in the formulation, like you will find is *some* of the Italian soaps. The RR Artisan line is tallow based (except the "France") version, the two scents I've tried have been "spot on" for me. (Just the right amount of scent for my preferences.) I Pif'd the M. B. scent, because performance was the same as the Lemon, and I wasn't showing it any love because the Lemmon just keeps drawing me back to it.

I'm currently using Valobra almond and I give it 5 stars! Beautiful stuff. Rich, creamy lather with great slickness and the fragrance is very subtle.

Not much love for Proraso or Omega? Are these soaps under represented in the US or are they just less popular? In Australia these are the only soaps I have seen in brick and mortar stores. I use Cella and Omega, prefer the scent of Omega more, it's "spicier".

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ok, I'm ordering Cella first based on the numerous recommendations.
Marco, can you explain the scent difference between RR Chianti Lavender and RR King Louis? I'll probably order RazoRock soon.

The Chianti Lavender has a stronger and sweeter Lavender scent, the King Louis is definitely milder and more subtle. Smell aside, these are truly terrific performers and two of the finest soft soaps I've ever used. Both are highly recommended.

Not much love for Proraso or Omega? Are these soaps under represented in the US or are they just less popular? In Australia these are the only soaps I have seen in brick and mortar stores. I use Cella and Omega, prefer the scent of Omega more, it's "spicier".

They are very easy to get in the U.S. (Proraso/bigelow) but horrible ingredient list (imo) plus that awful smell. It they were great products, that would be wonderful, but... :(

Top Bottom