What's new

Which is better: Gillette Platinum vs Personna Lab blues

really thinking to pull the trigger on a 100 pack, out of many blades i have tested, these 2 i think were best for me. im still not very sure so i want to ask around what other thinks about these blades and which one performs better for them. G.Platinums are abit more expensive than personnas so really need to be sure which will worth more for me.

your thoughts, number of shaves, which is more smooth, which is more sharp, which gives better BBS, which is least irritant and which razor did it works best for you (i know this question wont apply to me but still its fun to know)

Get both and then tell us which you prefer. I like the the Gillette platinums over the lab blues, but prefer the med preps slightly over the Gillettes.

So they say, but performance wise they are not. Someone here put them both under the microscope and it showed different grinds. I assumed they were the same until I tried both.

Unfortunately, none of us can answer that question for you . Both of those blades shave very well for me . But that's going to vary depending on the razor and since your face is different than mine , there's just no way to tell unless you try them yourself.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

YMMV is the rule, especially for blades!

Since they both work for you, I would ’buy both!’ I find it fun to rotate among my top-tier options.

Get both and then tell us which you prefer. I like the the Gillette platinums over the lab blues, but prefer the med preps slightly over the Gillettes.
aren't med preps same as lab blues, just more sanitized
So they say, but performance wise they are not. Someone here put them both under the microscope and it showed different grinds. I assumed they were the same until I tried both.

I didn't know that about the difference in grinds between the labs ad the medpreps, but for me there's a difference which matters. The medpreps don't have any glue holding the wrapper onto the blade, making occasional razor cleanings easier. I'm picky, this matters to me - ymmv. Storagewise, I can get two boxes of medpreps in less area than 1 holdover 100 blade sleeve of tucks the platinums come in. That said, I continue to use platinums a lot. They seem to work very nicely in Gillete's new Heritage, a nice combo.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Med preps are a top tier blade, shave wonderfully for a very long time, but are expensive. The going street rate from medical supply houses is around 25 cents a blade in 100-packs, and a bit less in larger quantities. This is a blade that sometimes takes a shave or two to hit its stride, and then it can go on for a long run of great shaves. I won’t get into the Med v Lab debate.

To my face, the newer PPI Platinum is no match for it. As comfortable as it is, neither is the GSB.

The PPI Wizasilvers come a lot closer to a Med Prep for longevity, as does the 7OC Black Super Platinum out of India. The Black is now borderline expensive.

But at 16 cents a blade, the Wizasilvers hit the sweet spot, for me at least.

These are very different blades IME. Personna Blues while sharper than Gillette Platinuns, are far too rough for my skin. Another blade that behaves like these are the Gillette Silver Blue. Try those if you haven’t.

As much as I liked the Platinums, the Personna Platinum Chrome (or Israeli Red) is both sharper and smoother than the Platinum is to me. Much cheaper too. Very consistent as well.

My advice? Don’t buy 100 packs of blades if you’ve been wet-shaving less than a year. Try everything you can get your hands on, no more than 10 each at a time to really make sure you get the best blade for your skin and the money.

I don't get along great with any personna blade that I've tried. So you will have to try both and decide for yourself.

At the moment, I prefer Gillette Platinums (PPI blue or PPI blue/white) over any Personna. I used to love Israeli reds, but I swear the blade (or my face) changed. They don't work for me anymore.

I've tried lab blues a few times with results ranging from meh to bad. Now, I use them for cutting tape on boxes.

Gillette, no questions for me. Personna USA gives me some burning sensation; Crystal (Israel) I do like a lot....no idea why the difference....

ATM, I prefer the either of the US-made Personnas to the Platinum. But our experiences are meaningless for your uses.

Gillette, no questions for me. Personna USA gives me some burning sensation; Crystal (Israel) I do like a lot....no idea why the difference....

Why the difference is that US Personna blades (after the initial Teflon overspray wears off) are noticeably sharper than the other two you listed, so burning and irritation and other various ouchies are to be expected if you don't change anything else.

The Gillette Platinum's are sharper & smoother for me. I get 7-10 shaves from them vs 6-7 from the Lab Blue blades but, YMMV.!

The USA made Personna lab blues are not one of my favorite blades. The heavy comfort coating provides an extremely smooth first shave, but the blade is not quite sharp enough for my coarse beard. After the first shave, much of the coating is worn off and the blade becomes much sharper, but you lose some of the smoothness. Personally, I prefer the Personna Platinum Israeli Reds as they do not have the thick coating so they start out sharp, yet they are still smooth.

I like the Gillette Platinum. I find it to be fairly similar to both the Gillette Silver Blue and the Personna Lab Blue.

Id say its YMMV. Im personally a big fan of the Lab Blues. I find that I get a good shave from them and I like that they are made in the USA.

Top Bottom