What's new

Been loving my Personna Platinum blades. Question on Nacet

As the title noted, I really like the Personna Platinums that I’ve been using. I have had a great few weeks with minimal nicks (usually driver error) and no irritation which is night and day from when I was using Silver Blues and Comfort Coated.

I just got my Yates 921 and they came with Nacets and I have been tempted to try them even though I’m perfectly happy with the PPs. Normally I’d just give them a shot anyway but I keep seeing comparisons to Feather blades which seem to be more geared toward experienced users (that’s not me). I haven’t been able to find comparisons of Nacets to the Personna Platinums that I like.

How does they compare and should I steer clear until I really have a well refined technique (only been using DE since September)?

Separately - I love this Yates! Very maneuverable vs my 6S.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
How does they compare and should I steer clear until I really have a well refined technique (only been using DE since September)?
Hello @MikeMCT

Not at all! The Nacet is an ideal "entry level blade" to the more sharper spectrum of things. They are nicely sharp, have a good level of smoothness and are well behaved and predictable.

I have been using a now unobtainable Personna Platinum Coated Israeli in the One Blade In February challenge and only last night I noted a similarity in my shave notes with the Nacet. They do have commonalities to my face and mind. The Nacet was close on smoothness and a forgivingness if you will.

I would highly suggest giving them a go.

And get Feathers out of your head (figuratively speaking) They have a cult status among some, but they are just a sharp blade with a love/hate reputation. They are the sharpest blades available but that by itself does not make them the 'best'. It's a balancing act of need and requirement, they have their place in the shavers arsenal but they are not some magic bullet.

Nacets, GSB, PermaSharp etc are all perfectly great blades with all the sharpness most will ever need. Its the blade gap and exposure of the razor matched with an improving technique and the right blade choice for the razor that makes the perfect threesome.

You can go through your entire shaving life without ever loading a Feather up, and be quite fufilled in my opinion.

Try the Nacet when you want to. It will suprise you pleasantly and it will not feel too unfamiliar.

Be seeing you!

Last edited:
Actually I may get a little crazy and try 1/2 my face with the Nacet and 1/2 with an Accuforge sample that I just got to see if I like that better than the Personna Comfort Coated ones that I just didn’t like at all.

This could be fun!

Most of the blades from Gillette's Saint Petersburg plant are somewhat similar. The Nacet is one of the sharper ones, but reasonably comfortable in many razors. They are not as sharp as Feather blades.
I find the Nacet to be very similar to the Permasharp and the Wizamet, Feathers are a complete different story. They're more like "in-your-face" sharp.

@MikeMCT you've been given some great advice by @Alum Ladd. I'll only add that Feathers will cost you nearly twice as much as Nacets. And for that extra money you'll get a blade that may be slightly sharper, but IMO not nearly as smooth or long lasting.
Slightly? Sorry but I disagree, IMHO the Nacet is in the same league as the Permasharp. But of these blades aren't sharp as the Feather.

I believed the hype, got some samplers and tried the Nacet. They're good but they're very similar to the Permasharp and the Wizamet. Since I already got a couple 100 of those blades I didn't buy the Nacet in bulk.

If you're looking for a blade that is even sharper than these blades try out a Bic Chrome Platinum. IMHO the second sharpest blade available while the Feather is the nr1. They are sharp but not that sharp like the Feathers, I find them to be very forgiving and very smooth. I get a full BBS with 2 passes. They're also much cheaper than the Feathers. YMMV, what works for me might not work for you. I would say, get a sampler pack and see which blades work for you and which don't.

Speaking almost entirely from a philosophical perspective with a bit of practicality thrown in, here’s my two cents.

You have the blades in hand. You have your favorite razor and you know the bench mark you’re familiar with.

If a blade is particularly sharp, i.e.: Feather, I would not shave with it unless I had 5-7 days of growth to plow through. Why? Humbly, my experience has demonstrated that 5 days of growth provides my neck (super senstive) and cheeks (not so senstitive), with a fair bit of cushion/protection. I'm fully bearded otherwise. Five days growth also provides me with feedback regarding effective sharpness vs blade drag.

I recently posted a two part review of PAA’s Filament and their Strangelet Super Sharp. I had the aforementioned level of growth and you’ll note from the review, the first pass resulted in both tugging/drag and weepers.

A week later and 5+ days of growth, I switched and used a new Perma-Sharp. Completely different experience, zero blade drag and significantly less weepers was the result.

I explain this all in detail in the reviews.

Long way around to say: be encouraged and be thoughtful in your experimentation to ascertain if “x” product will work or not. And, do so with anticipation to learn something.

This hobby, luxury, enjoyment, necessity is 100% subjective all around and as one of the community mentioned (sorry can’t recall name for ascription), it’s great to hear the opinions of our peers: there is wisdom in the council of a multitude (especially when they are experienced and thoughtful in their presentation.)

I've used Personna Plats a couple of times and have used Personna Red (Israeli) and like these very much.

Nacets, Israeli Platinums, and Med Preps are among my favorite blades.
Comfort Coated's and Private Label Edgewell's are among my least...

As great as I find the Nacet to be in MOST of my razors, I have found that it doesn't satisfy as well in my workhorse; R89's
Luckily, I've found the Minora Platinum fits that bill for me 🍻

@MikeMCT you've been given some great advice by @Alum Ladd. I'll only add that Feathers will cost you nearly twice as much as Nacets. And for that extra money you'll get a blade that may be slightly sharper, but IMO not nearly as smooth or long lasting.

Slightly? Sorry but I disagree, IMHO the Nacet is in the same league as the Permasharp. But of these blades aren't sharp as the Feather.
The key here in both statements is the acronyms 'IMO/IMHO'. Whether the discussion is concerning blades, soaps, aftershaves, etc., it all boils down to opinion, and personal preference.
I think one of the beauties of this forum, unlike some others, is that many view points, opinions, and advice are discussed, and are done so in a respectful manner. :thumbsup:

Well I tried the Nacet (on 2 days growth where I normally shave on 3-4 days growth). I think I can see why this gets good reviews: it comes across as consistent and feeling pretty sharp with a lot of audible feedback at every turn.

I just don’t think it’s for me though. I started to see some very mild redness like I did with GSBs but have never experienced with the Personna Platinums. I can still feel it on parts of my neck. It definitely felt sharper everywhere on my face and I think because of that I 1) didn’t enjoy the shave as much feeling like I need to go out of my way being extra careful and 2) I don’t think I got as good a shave under the chin and jaw for those reasons. Everywhere else though it was an insanely close shave - hard to tell if closer than the Personnas.

I know I should probably give it another spin but I had no regrets in dropping the blade in the blade bin and putting my existing PP blade back on it for the next shave. I have just loved the experience and the end product with the PP.

It was worth the experiment, though!
Mike

The key here in both statements is the acronyms 'IMO/IMHO'. Whether the discussion is concerning blades, soaps, aftershaves, etc., it all boils down to opinion, and personal preference.
I think one of the beauties of this forum, unlike some others, is that many view points, opinions, and advice are discussed, and are done so in a respectful manner. :thumbsup:

+1! Yep! The only way to evaluate ’traditional’ wet shaving kit is to actually try things yourself!! :a21:

I find the Nacet to be very similar to the Permasharp and the Wizamet, Feathers are a complete different story. They're more like "in-your-face" sharp.

I believed the hype, got some samplers and tried the Nacet. They're good but they're very similar to the Permasharp and the Wizamet. Since I already got a couple 100 of those blades I didn't buy the Nacet in bulk.

If you're looking for a blade that is even sharper than these blades try out a Bic Chrome Platinum. IMHO the second sharpest blade available while the Feather is the nr1. They are sharp but not that sharp like the Feathers, I find them to be very forgiving and very smooth. I get a full BBS with 2 passes. They're also much cheaper than the Feathers. YMMV, what works for me might not work for you. I would say, get a sampler pack and see which blades work for you and which don't.
BIC CP YES!

But buy them from trusted sources. I purchased two boxes of fakes from SE Asia. There are counterfeits in the supply chain.

Different cardboard, slightly different (worse) printing, different paper, very very different shave-terrible!

Top Bottom