What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. The new Braun shavers have received great reviews. I would suggest that you first try to shave dry. Braun recommends that you shave first thing after awaking and before washing your face or showering. I personally shave right after getting up by beginning at my side burns and shave with an up and down motion. The screens of the head of the razor have to come in contact with your face. I recommend using a light touch at first. After shaving your entire face going up and down several times, I then change to going over my face again going from left to right also several times. You will be able to hear the cutter cutting your beard. Stretching the skin from above along the jaw line helps get the beard under your jaw shaved.

Don’t get discouraged if your first shaves aren’t as close or as comfortable as you imagined. It takes a couple of weeks of daily shaving for your beard to become accustomed to the new shaver. That’s why Braun will give you a 100% money back guarantee within the first three weeks after purchase. You will also begin to learn the direction of how your beard grows and will get the best results shaving in the opposite direction to the beard’s growth.

I don’t recommend that you use preshave products or rinse the shaver until your face has become accustomed to the shaver. Otherwise, you are adding unknown quantities to the process and you will never figure out what works best for your face. Braun recommends that you detach the head cassette and tap it gently on the sink counter covered with a couple of sheets of toilet tissue and use the brush to clean the hairs from the top of the shaver. Never use the brushon the screens.

After you can get a close comfortable shave in a couple of weeks, then you can experience with products. That’s just my opinion. I belive that electric shavers were developed to get away from the water, shaving cream and mess of blade shaving. I can throw my shaver into its case and take it with me for a quick cleanup shave after work or anywhere else.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom and speed of electric shaving. It takes me exactly six minutes total to shave and clean the shaver in the morning.

Wow thank you for that wonderful description - that's what I will do then, thanks a million!

I should be getting by new Braun Series 7 (7071) shaver tomorrow and I'm excited. This will be my first electric shaver so curious what it will be like. I'm tired of blade shaving all these years and just want something simple for daily shaving. I'm hopeful my sensitive face will adapt to electric shaving.

I'm curious how close to my face I shave with it - I've heard a light touch but how light? Do I place the foil directly on the surface of my face, or hold it above while it cuts? Can I go over an area a few times as I shave? I've watched some Youtube videos but have not really found one that seem helpful!

Welcome, and good general advice from @Flyboybob. The Braun Series 7 line - old and new - are great foil shavers, and are wet/dry so can be used either dry or with shaving soap/gel/foam. You didn't say how you were shaving before (straight, cartridge, DE or SE), but I assume wet with soap, and you can actually use an electric the same way. I recommend though, like @Flyboybob, that you start dry with an electric. If you come from wet shaving, a pre-shave can make it easier in the beginning just to lubricate your face (I have sensitive skin as well, and find shaving completely dry not as comfortable). Williams, Lab Series and Freelette are all good pre-shaves if dry doesn't work for you.

A light touch is important, particularly with the new 7, because a heavy hand can cause razor burn. Just rest the foil head on your skin and use a back-and-forth motion and the shaver will do the work. You can go over the same area, but don't overdo it for the same reason you don't apply a lot of pressure (light pressure to maintain contact is fine, and the 7071 actually has 360 degree flexibility to assist). If you do shave dry, unlike with a blade, you don't want to soften your beard prior to shaving (other than a pre-shave if you want). An electric works best dry on a stiff beard, and light growth - no electric works well on a long multi-day beard, so daily shaving also works best. The detachable trimmer on the 7071 to me is a plus, and does a fairly decent job of emulating a blade on sideburns and hairline, but you do need to pause to swap heads.

I do use the cleaning station on all my electrics so equipped, and Braun's is probably the best - shaver is clean, sanitized, and ready to go for the next morning. Not essential, but I clean my electrics for the same reason I clean my DE razors, and the stations are just more convenient. A clean razor also eliminates one more variable if you have sensitive skin and are prone to irritation or infections.

And probably most importantly, give it a chance. You will need several weeks for your face and beard to adapt to an electric. The advantages of an electric, aside from the obvious one of not absolutely needing water, is that there is almost no chance of a nick or cut (almost, because there is still a fast-moving blade in it, and you can nick yourself if you shave with wild abandon and lots of pressure). You can also shave in a fraction of the time it takes to do a 3-pass blade shave, with minimal cleanup. And eventually, you'll likely have a more comfortable shave. The downside? You won't get as close a shave as with a blade, and the shave won't last as long. With any electric, ever. But for me, close enough, and some electrics are now pretty darn close.

So if you've read enough, the above is an electric primer. There is actually a great electric shaver site, ShaverCheck (Electric Shaver Reviews & Guides • ShaverCheck - https://shavercheck.com/) for almost all shaving-related things electric, and Ovidiu is a great reviewer. For me, personally, I use an electric daily. Either as a stand-alone shaver, or to finish up a blade shave, and I rotate between exclusively electric and blade, including rotary and foil electrics. And I shave almost exclusively wet with an electric, with the same software and hardware I use with a blade - brush, soap and scuttle. I find it gives me the most comfortable and closest shave I can get with an electric, and can even rival a one or two pass DE shave. Shaving is not a chore for me (retired) but a relaxation, and I don't mind taking my time and enjoying it. Traveling, almost always an electric, just for the convenience. So don't hesitate to branch out and experiment once you get comfortable with the technique and the shaver, and this forum is a great resource for all shaving styles and preferences, with some great folks ready to help or just chat. You came to the right place! :thumbup:

Welcome, and good general advice from @Flyboybob. The Braun Series 7 line - old and new - are great foil shavers, and are wet/dry so can be used either dry or with shaving soap/gel/foam. You didn't say how you were shaving before (straight, cartridge, DE or SE), but I assume wet with soap, and you can actually use an electric the same way. I recommend though, like @Flyboybob, that you start dry with an electric. If you come from wet shaving, a pre-shave can make it easier in the beginning just to lubricate your face (I have sensitive skin as well, and find shaving completely dry not as comfortable). Williams, Lab Series and Freelette are all good pre-shaves if dry doesn't work for you.

A light touch is important, particularly with the new 7, because a heavy hand can cause razor burn. Just rest the foil head on your skin and use a back-and-forth motion and the shaver will do the work. You can go over the same area, but don't overdo it for the same reason you don't apply a lot of pressure (light pressure to maintain contact is fine, and the 7071 actually has 360 degree flexibility to assist). If you do shave dry, unlike with a blade, you don't want to soften your beard prior to shaving (other than a pre-shave if you want). An electric works best dry on a stiff beard, and light growth - no electric works well on a long multi-day beard, so daily shaving also works best. The detachable trimmer on the 7071 to me is a plus, and does a fairly decent job of emulating a blade on sideburns and hairline, but you do need to pause to swap heads.

I do use the cleaning station on all my electrics so equipped, and Braun's is probably the best - shaver is clean, sanitized, and ready to go for the next morning. Not essential, but I clean my electrics for the same reason I clean my DE razors, and the stations are just more convenient. A clean razor also eliminates one more variable if you have sensitive skin and are prone to irritation or infections.

And probably most importantly, give it a chance. You will need several weeks for your face and beard to adapt to an electric. The advantages of an electric, aside from the obvious one of not absolutely needing water, is that there is almost no chance of a nick or cut (almost, because there is still a fast-moving blade in it, and you can nick yourself if you shave with wild abandon and lots of pressure). You can also shave in a fraction of the time it takes to do a 3-pass blade shave, with minimal cleanup. And eventually, you'll likely have a more comfortable shave. The downside? You won't get as close a shave as with a blade, and the shave won't last as long. With any electric, ever. But for me, close enough, and some electrics are now pretty darn close.

So if you've read enough, the above is an electric primer. There is actually a great electric shaver site, ShaverCheck (Electric Shaver Reviews & Guides • ShaverCheck - https://shavercheck.com/) for almost all shaving-related things electric, and Ovidiu is a great reviewer. For me, personally, I use an electric daily. Either as a stand-alone shaver, or to finish up a blade shave, and I rotate between exclusively electric and blade, including rotary and foil electrics. And I shave almost exclusively wet with an electric, with the same software and hardware I use with a blade - brush, soap and scuttle. I find it gives me the most comfortable and closest shave I can get with an electric, and can even rival a one or two pass DE shave. Shaving is not a chore for me (retired) but a relaxation, and I don't mind taking my time and enjoying it. Traveling, almost always an electric, just for the convenience. So don't hesitate to branch out and experiment once you get comfortable with the technique and the shaver, and this forum is a great resource for all shaving styles and preferences, with some great folks ready to help or just chat. You came to the right place! :thumbup:

Wow I really appreciate your thoughts and instruction! I have been using the Schick Hydro 5 and also many years with Gillette DE's and Schick Injectors, but it seems my face is just too sensitive for blade shaving. I cannot wait for my first electric shave today when it arrives!

proxy.php

I am happy to report a very comfortable first shave with the Braun Series 7! I am very surprised at the ease and comfort that this shaver took my 1 day stubble off. I shaved dry - used a light touch back and forth (first up and down, then side to side) and it feels like I didn’t over do it. I’m actually pretty blown away. I’m also surprised at how it got around my goatee nice and clean.

My face is feeling great so far and hopefully no irritation arises - if it does I know I’m in the beginning period of getting used to it. I rearranged my den and look forward to more shaves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

proxy.php

I am happy to report a very comfortable first shave with the Braun Series 7! I am very surprised at the ease and comfort that this shaver took my 1 day stubble off. I shaved dry - used a light touch back and forth (first up and down, then side to side) and it feels like I didn’t over do it. I’m actually pretty blown away. I’m also surprised at how it got around my goatee nice and clean.

My face is feeling great so far and hopefully no irritation arises - if it does I know I’m in the beginning period of getting used to it. I rearranged my den and look forward to more shaves!

Good start, and Clubman is always a good choice to finish for the win! :thumbup:

My review of the shaver more than a year ago (Ovidiu over at ShaverCheck and I differ a bit on our opinions, but he's exclusively a dry shaver guy):

Last edited:
Thank you for the review link! And also been reading up on the Shavercheck site too, very helpful resources.

Had my second shave this morning, still enjoying the electric shave - still amazed how comfortable and close it is. My beard is on the light side so I’m usually almost done before it gets hot. The closeness is like a blade shave!

Thank you for the review link! And also been reading up on the Shavercheck site too, very helpful resources.

Had my second shave this morning, still enjoying the electric shave - still amazed how comfortable and close it is. My beard is on the light side so I’m usually almost done before it gets hot. The closeness is like a blade shave!

Shavers have come a long way in the last few years. Congratulations!

Excellent advice. Took about 3 - 4 weeks for my face to fully adjust. I find shaving the neck first works better for me.

I have done away with my razors and only use the Panasonic ARC5, the model with the gold rollers between the foils. Why wet shave with an electric shaver? the water acts as a coolant and eliminates any razor burn. Before splashing the water on my face, I coat it with shaving oil.Makes the skin very slick. I'm getting to a point where I can't tell the difference in the results with the electric shaver and the blades. That's really saying something because I never could get a close shave with an electric, getting 5 o'clock shadow at 11 AM accompanied with some razor burn.

What a beautiful electric! Maybe sometime I'll try a Rotary shaver too, very interesting!

Thanks! This Philips (S9987) is not available yet in the US, but shows promise. It's part of Philips' new line of rotaries that are Bluetooth connected, so can actually coach your shave - presumably the replacement for their venerable Series 9000, or perhaps in addition to. I switch regularly between a foil and a rotary (in addition to DE), but I find I actually prefer the shave I get with the Braun's new 7 Series when using a foil, even over the 9 Series or the older 7 Series. They may just have something with that 360 swiveling head... :001_smile.

Thanks! This Philips (S9987) is not available yet in the US, but shows promise. It's part of Philips' new line of rotaries that are Bluetooth connected, so can actually coach your shave - presumably the replacement for their venerable Series 9000, or perhaps in addition to. I switch regularly between a foil and a rotary (in addition to DE), but I find I actually prefer the shave I get with the Braun's new 7 Series when using a foil, even over the 9 Series or the older 7 Series. They may just have something with that 360 swiveling head... :001_smile.

As a fan of technology I like that bluetooth feature.

Yeah this Braun Series 7 is a revelation. I sit here right now with my face feeling so good - no shaving bumps or itchiness. I like how easy and comfortable it feels. I never thought shaving dry with an electric is relaxing just as much a DE (although I will try a wet shave after three weeks or so). And now it seems I can shave everyday now, something I couldn't really do with a DE or a cartridge.

proxy.php

Decided to shave off my goatee this morning and have more shaving real estate. Had a great dry shave as pleasant as any wet shave I’ve ever had with the Braun Series 7. My old Norelco groomer can be retired until winter when I maybe grow my goatee back. Feels great to be clean shaven again. Aces!

Yesterday was Norelco 7500 sans pre shave and Taylor's Luxury AS splash.

Today a Braun Series 7 and B&M Classic AS.

Top Bottom