What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

I shaved with an old shaver I fixed up that I got off eBay. It's a Rotatract from around 1985, and was listed as parts only. I put some Closecut heads on it that I had as spares. It's an aggressive shaver and isn't as gentle as the 60's or 70's Tripleheader.

It looks sort of like this, except mine is a corded-only model:

I'm not really a fan. Maybe it will grow on me. First shaver that really gave me razor burn, right under the chin. There's almost no travel in the floating heads (I tried the originals just to confirm it).

It's funny that so many people basically are junking razors that only need a little disassembly and contact cleaner on the switch. Almost all of the time that's all that's wrong with them.

I shaved with an old shaver I fixed up that I got off eBay. It's a Rotatract from around 1985, and was listed as parts only. I put some Closecut heads on it that I had as spares. It's an aggressive shaver and isn't as gentle as the 60's or 70's Tripleheader.

It looks sort of like this, except mine is a corded-only model:

I'm not really a fan. Maybe it will grow on me. First shaver that really gave me razor burn, right under the chin. There's almost no travel in the floating heads (I tried the originals just to confirm it).

It's funny that so many people basically are junking razors that only need a little disassembly and contact cleaner on the switch. Almost all of the time that's all that's wrong with them.
There are two reasons I think that old shavers get trashed. One is that it’s time to buy a new one because of innovations or style changes in newer shavers. The other is just the desire to make a change regardless if it’s necessary or not. Some people like myself just don’t like to repair things because I can’t remember which way to turn a screw. Is it lefty loosey, righty tighty? 🤔

I had another shave with that mid 80's Norelco Rotatract. I'm changing my mind about this shaver, it's really turned out to be decent- a very fast shaver and coverage is good. Combined with some Lectric Shave, the shaver glides along well enough across my face and neck, and I didn't encounter significant irritation, despite the fact there's no flex in the head and only a small amount of travel in the floating heads.

I just wish the popup trimmer wasn't missing.

I had another shave with that mid 80's Norelco Rotatract. I'm changing my mind about this shaver, it's really turned out to be decent- a very fast shaver and coverage is good. Combined with some Lectric Shave, the shaver glides along well enough across my face and neck, and I didn't encounter significant irritation, despite the fact there's no flex in the head and only a small amount of travel in the floating heads.

I just wish the popup trimmer wasn't missing.
Just use the trimmer from another shaver. There’s no reason that a vintage electric shaver with new cutters shouldn’t give a good shave. Floating heads will keep the cutters closer to your skin, but manipulating the shaver around your face should accomplish the same thing but just taking longer.

Braun M-60 and dollar store aftershave. The M-60 is probably the most aggressive shaver that I have, but the coverage isn't as even. It takes longer to shave but the results can be very good. This is probably one of the best values in shaving out there, available on Amazon for less than twenty dollars.

20191231_060903.jpg

Obviously, with this shaver no one can complain about the high initial cost. However, the cost of non rechargeable AA batteries could add up. This shaver can be used both wet and dry. Interestingly, the design of the cutter and the replacement screens are exactly the same design as the original Braun shaver from just prior to WWII. I found this shaver on line for $16 US on Amazon. The replacement foil and cutter is nearly as expensive as a new shaver.

Is this one pictured a new shaver? How many shaves do you get from a set of batteries? Are you using rechargeable AA batteries?

Obviously, with this shaver no one can complain about the high initial cost. However, the cost of non rechargeable AA batteries could add up. This shaver can be used both wet and dry. Interestingly, the design of the cutter and the replacement screens are exactly the same design as the original Braun shaver from just prior to WWII. I found this shaver on line for $16 US on Amazon. The replacement foil and cutter is nearly as expensive as a new shaver.

Is this one pictured a new shaver? How many shaves do you get from a set of batteries? Are you using rechargeable AA batteries?

The foil design is not quite the same, it has a Voronoi tesselation pattern and is thinner than it was years ago.

I use NiMH rechargeable batteries, and I order the foils and cutters from China for 3 dollars.

The foil design is not quite the same, it has a Voronoi tesselation pattern and is thinner than it was years ago.

I use NiMH rechargeable batteries, and I order the foils and cutters from China for 3 dollars.
I’m sure that Brsun improved the screen thickness and pattern. However, the basic single foil and single cutter is the original design. How many shaves can you get on one charge of the batteries?

You know the cliche about shaving like your grandfather did?

Today I again used my grandad's Norelco Tripleheader that my dad had given me, but this time I got some vintage but excellent Micro-Groove heads off a rechargeable Tripleheader I got for 5 bucks. Rechargables, it seems, have alot less use typically in the vintage market, not surprisingly. The Microgroove heads don't shave quite as close but they are authentic to what this shaver would have originally had in the late 60's, and they are quite mild and gentle.

The trimmer is noisy as hell, though, making a terrible clackety racket. I picked up a Wahl beard trimmer and I'm going to use that on sideburns, instead.

You know the cliche about shaving like your grandfather did?

Today I again used my grandad's Norelco Tripleheader that my dad had given me, but this time I got some vintage but excellent Micro-Groove heads off a rechargeable Tripleheader I got for 5 bucks. Rechargables, it seems, have alot less use typically in the vintage market, not surprisingly. The Microgroove heads don't shave quite as close but they are authentic to what this shaver would have originally had in the late 60's, and they are quite mild and gentle.

The trimmer is noisy as hell, though, making a terrible clackety racket. I picked up a Wahl beard trimmer and I'm going to use that on sideburns, instead.
When you say vintage market are you talking about shavers made prior to what year? I may be confused. If the micro-grove heads came off a rechargeable triplehead shaver, how could they be authentic to a late 1960s shaver. I didn’t think rechargeable battery shavers didn’t come out until the early 2000s when Nickel Hydride Batteries became available.Norelco shavers have always delivered gentle shaves compared to screen shavers of the equivalent price range and model.

When you say vintage market are you talking about shavers made prior to what year? I may be confused. If the micro-grove heads came off a rechargeable triplehead shaver, how could they be authentic to a late 1960s shaver. I didn’t think rechargeable battery shavers didn’t come out until the early 2000s when Nickel Hydride Batteries became available.Norelco shavers have always delivered gentle shaves compared to screen shavers of the equivalent price range and model.

They've had rechargeable shavers since the 60's, at least. Early ones used nickle-cadmium batteries.

The 1960's Norelco rechargables were bigger and heavy, lots of metal inside them to serve as scaffolding for the batteries. The motor was also a completely different type.

They've had rechargeable shavers since the 60's, at least. Early ones used nickle-cadmium batteries.

The 1960's Norelco rechargables were bigger and heavy, lots of metal inside them to serve as scaffolding for the batteries. The motor was also a completely different type.
Yes, I forgot about Nickle Cadmium dry cell batteries. Later they were replaced by Nickle Hydride batteries. The NiCad batteries had issues with memory. If you didn’t run them all the way down and charged them when not empty, they would develop a memory and then they would not hold a 100% complete charge. I always bought corded shavers because of the reason you mentioned weight and because of the cost.

Yes, I forgot about Nickle Cadmium dry cell batteries. Later they were replaced by Nickle Hydride batteries. The NiCad batteries had issues with memory. If you didn’t run them all the way down and charged them when not empty, they would develop a memory and then they would not hold a 100% complete charge. I always bought corded shavers because of the reason you mentioned weight and because of the cost.

NiMH has issues with memory also, just to a lesser degree. The real issue with Ni-Cad is poor energy storage and low discharge capacity. That's why the Norelco basically had two C cells inside it.

NiMH is still perfectly adequate for an electric shaver, even though some are now using lithium batteries.

Top Bottom