What's new

Which ELECTRIC RAZOR did you use today (with SOTD pics)?

They've had rechargeable shavers since the 60's, at least. Early ones used nickle-cadmium batteries.

The 1960's Norelco rechargables were bigger and heavy, lots of metal inside them to serve as scaffolding for the batteries. The motor was also a completely different type.
I used my dad's early 70's Norelco VIP triple header until it died in 2010. That thing was built like a tank. The ni-cads leaked on the circuit board that they were attached to. I should have replaced them sooner like dad always did when he took it in for service every other year.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I got a new Norelco 6800 and gave it a try today. I used it dry. For first shave it was ok, but was it quiet compared to my Arc 4. Tomorrow I will try wet.
is

Today I shaved with an old Philips Aquatec on one half of my face, the other I used a modern corded Philips 1000 series. The Aquatec was a somewhat closer shave, but both had good coverage. I've had the Aquatec since the mid 2000's, and the battery still holds a good charge, probably because I used it mostly corded. I rarely use it for wet shaving, it doesn't really seem to improve the shave at all.

Use the 6800 today with shaving cream. I think the dry shave with pre shave was better. Will keep trying.
You will have to give your face and your beard a couple of weeks to become accustomed to your 6800. Then the shave you get should be superior regardless dry or wet.

Bought recently a Series 5 Braun razor. I really love this razor and find the battery power much better than my old series 3 , which I always loved. My say you really don’t need the 7 or 9 series , unless you need top of the line razor. I use my 5 as a face and head shaver , and find it more than adequate.

Bought recently a Series 5 Braun razor. I really love this razor and find the battery power much better than my old series 3 , which I always loved. My say you really don’t need the 7 or 9 series , unless you need top of the line razor. I use my 5 as a face and head shaver , and find it more than adequate.
I’m sure that the series 5 is an excellent shaver. However, I bought my series 7 shaver for $100 at Costco last April. One possible advantage to the series 7 and 9 are made in Germany while the lower level shavers are made in various countries. Over the years I have begun to loose faith in the myth of superior German engineering or superior craftsmanship.

I’m sure that the series 5 is an excellent shaver. However, I bought my series 7 shaver for $100 at Costco last April. One possible advantage to the series 7 and 9 are made in Germany while the lower level shavers are made in various countries. Over the years I have begun to loose faith in the myth of superior German engineering or superior craftsmanship.
The $100 for the series 7 was a good price , hard to resist. My series 5 at BJ’s was $69 , also a great buy. I have seen both way over $100 , think we both did all right .

The $100 for the series 7 was a good price , hard to resist. My series 5 at BJ’s was $69 , also a great buy. I have seen both way over $100 , think we both did all right .
There are lots of deals on shavers. I assume that when a customer returns a shaver within the refund period, then they refurb the shaver with a new head, cutter and screen and sold at a discount. Of course when ever I use the word assume it makes an *** of U and ME. 😆

Is this a Braun model 740s 6 shaver? Haven’t seen this one before.

No it is the new Series 6 6020s, Nothing on Brauns web site, but according to Amazon, Braun is coming out with 3 new Shavers. A new Series 5, 6 and 7 to be released 1/21/2020. I got the new Series 6 at Walmart before the release date, they only had the 6020s, But Amazon is noting there will be 3 versions of the new Series 6 6020s 6072s and 6075c, 2 versions of the new Series 7 7071cc and 7085cc and 3 versions of the new Series 5 5018s, 5020s and 5050cs.

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Electric-SmartCare-Rechargeable-Cordless/dp/B07Z5KGZKX/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=braun+series+6&qid=1578774370&sr=8-4&th=1

Amazon.com: Braun Series 7 7071cc Flex Electric Razor for Men with SmartCare Center, Precision Trimmer, Wet & Dry, Rechargeable, Cordless Foil Shaver, Silver: Beauty - https://www.amazon.com/Electric-9290cc-Shaver-Precision-Trimmer/dp/B07Z8J4MC6/ref=pd_sbs_194_3/146-5345908-5553769?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B083BVF4B5&pd_rd_r=5666d1b2-e246-4bb7-b34c-c93230241a06&pd_rd_w=dvWlB&pd_rd_wg=VsZF7&pf_rd_p=bdd201df-734f-454e-883c-73b0d8ccd4c3&pf_rd_r=S7H212D203A6NXHGYR0Z&refRID=S7H212D203A6NXHGYR0Z&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-929...V3VCA61XKKQ38PRDB&refRID=88HV3VCA61XKKQ38PRDB

Last edited:

Interesting, looks alot like the newer high end rotary shaver design.

I had a Series-5 until I gave it to a family member. It gave a smooth comfortable shave. It had a better trimmer on it than my Series-7 does.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

This maybe the reason that Braun’s US men’s shaver website has been down. My first impression is that I don’t see the value in having a 360 degree swiveling head except to convince you to replace your current shaver. Also, I don’t like the idea of a detachable trimmer. For one thing it now becomes a separate piece to store and keep track of. It does end the decision of the engineers to mount the trimmer on the front or rear of the shaver. I assume I will be in the market for a new shaver when they decide to come out with their next model update.

How do you like it?
So far so good, very similar to the current Series 7, a little easier to hold due to the new shape.

This maybe the reason that Braun’s US men’s shaver website has been down. My first impression is that I don’t see the value in having a 360 degree swiveling head except to convince you to replace your current shaver. Also, I don’t like the idea of a detachable trimmer. For one thing it now becomes a separate piece to store and keep track of. It does end the decision of the engineers to mount the trimmer on the front or rear of the shaver. I assume I will be in the market for a new shaver when they decide to come out with their next model update.

Only the new series 7 has the 360 head, the Series 6 is basically the same shaver without the 360 head. It just swivels like the current 7, 8 and 9 series.

Don't mind the detachable trimmer, I don't use it, as I have a dedicated trimmer I use.

I notice that alot of vintage European Philips shavers didn't even bother having a pop-up trimmer. In my experience, it's a bit of a compromise to have one at all- they don't work as well as separate trimmers. The way that they are typically powered- a plastic cam off one of the gears, adds in all kinds of potentially mechanical issues as well, with some older shavers I have, having quite noisy, and therefore useless, popup trimmers.

I notice that alot of vintage European Philips shavers didn't even bother having a pop-up trimmer. In my experience, it's a bit of a compromise to have one at all- they don't work as well as separate trimmers. The way that they are typically powered- a plastic cam off one of the gears, adds in all kinds of potentially mechanical issues as well, with some older shavers I have, having quite noisy, and therefore useless, popup trimmers.
My first Norelco didn’t have a trimmer, however Ronson shavers had them which were located just below the head. My first shaver that was labeled Braun in the 1980s had a pop up trimmer. It was part of the power switch. I have todmit that the pop up trimmer/power switch failed and caused the death of the shaver. My Panasonic shaver’s trimmer died a couple of years before the battery in the shaver. When that happened I used the trimmer on my son’s Norelco shaver which he stopped using when he grew a beard.

Obviously, the detachable trimmer appears in both the Norelco and Braun modules to be a choice driven by the styling of the shaver. However, on the plus side one can probably replace the trimmer if it becomes lost or just fails. I only use the trimmer once a week or so and therefore don’t need a separate trimmer. If the one on my Braun seven series fails, I still have my son’s old Norelco as a backup trimmer.

Top Bottom