What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

I just picked up one of these on the auction site NOS sealed in packets. I wonder when Gillette changed from the thin rubber ribs on the handle to the thick ones like on yours. My one i just bought looks like yours. A lot of sensor excels ive seen have thin gray ribs. My Sensor (non excel) has thin black ribs.

Oh and in answer to your question. Hate to say it but I think the Sensor wins vs contour, but only by a little. By that i mean if i could only use a contour/atra for the rest of my life i would be happy. Same with Trac II or Sensor. All 3 are great.
Oh I haven’t seen the thin black rib version, only my thick black rib original and the thin grey rib Excel...

I totally agree with you that Trac II, Contour and Sensor are all excellent, as are Sensor3, Mach 3 and Fusion to be honest!
Actually after tonight’s shave with the Contour and Cien Twin blade (10) I’ve realised that I actually prefer the Contour over the Sensor.

They both have awesome handles and for sure the Sensor feels gentler and smoother but my skin definitely likes the results from the Contour better.
Perhaps we all just love the razor we started with :)
71ED5E6E-2468-401E-8251-EDF56CAE0271.jpeg

And that Egyptian blade is still going strong after 10 head and face shaves.
Super!

Oh I haven’t seen the thin black rib version, only my thick black rib original and the thin grey rib Excel...

I totally agree with you that Trac II, Contour and Sensor are all excellent, as are Sensor3, Mach 3 and Fusion to be honest!
Actually after tonight’s shave with the Contour and Cien Twin blade (10) I’ve realised that I actually prefer the Contour over the Sensor.

They both have awesome handles and for sure the Sensor feels gentler and smoother but my skin definitely likes the results from the Contour better.
Perhaps we all just love the razor we started with :)
View attachment 999785
And that Egyptian blade is still going strong after 10 head and face shaves.
Super!
10 shaves is great.

Im using my classic Trac II , vintage wilkinson sword twin (USA) (4)

N.O.S. Gillette Techmatic from 1966, original cartridge, second blade position (2),
Techmatic 2.JPG
in honour of the Apollo 11 launch (50th) anniversary. They shaved with the Techmatic in outer-space!

IMG_20190720_000617.jpg
Dorco twin (1) on a G Atra handle (2). Shave was OK. The DG carts are NOT the same as Dorco, might be made by the same company but it's like a Scion vs a Lexus.... One is bulky , weird and doesn't shave OK. Dork-0 is OK. BTW their OEM handle is hideous....doesn't pivot well, makes a noise and the angle is weird.

I didn't use it for a full shave, but I did use a Mach 3 for cleanup duty on my neck after my DE razor today. This cart probably has the equivalent of three shaves on it.

Mach3 with TOBS Royal Forest....closest shave I have every managed with a Mach3. Used some pressure, have changed how I stretch skin, only a little Aqua Velva sting but even my neck was DFS borderline BBS.

Gillette Trac II , vintage Wilkinson sword (made in USA ) (6)
With stirling Island Man for this super hot day

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N.O.S. Gillette Techmatic from 1966, original cartridge, second blade position (3), in honour of the Apollo 11 moon mission
Techmatic 2.JPG
(50th) anniversary. They shaved with the Techmatic in outer-space!

That is a work of art. I remember my dad had one. Still looks like it’s from the future. How’s it shave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It shaves great, provided you have a well-preserved cartridge.
The bands are super-stainless and I get comfortable BBS shaves.
Because it's a band, there is no blade corner to produce nicks or weepers.
A band-section (blade) lasts a week for me, others report 5-6 days.
Replacement cartridges come in either 5-band or 10-band types. Later cartridges (1967+) had adjustable blade exposure.
Gillette discontinued cartridges in the late 1970's or early 1980's, but I find N.O.S. cartridges all the time, still sealed in their blister-packs at reasonable cost on ebay, and they usually shave like new.
Often users complain because they will shave with an old used cartridge that's been exposed to the elements for decades and then ignorantly blame the design or technology of the Techmatic.
Because they're no longer manufactured, you must find sealed cartridges...and then you will get a great shave.
It remains my favourite cartridge system!

Top Bottom