What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
So today the shave was similar to yesterday, a comparison.

Today it was the Dorco Pace 7 and the Gillette Fusion Proshield. Yesterday I used the Dorco on the left side of my face, so today used it on the right. The Gillette took care of the left.

The Dorco has a little more drag than the Fusion, but I don't think it's enough that most would complain or find it negative.

The Gillette I have is on their special edition handle which I like, but I liked the Dorco handle better, just as yesterday.

20190529_153000.jpg

As far as the blades, clearly the Dorco are closer together, but again I didn't experience any clogging and the Dorco actually rinsed quicker than the Gillette. Whatever Dorco has done to make these rinse well works. The lube strip on the Gillette put out a bit more lube than the Dorco, but not as much as the Schick did.

On the closeness of the shave the Gillette performed [pun alert] a whisker better than the Schick. The Dorco was a whisker better than the Gillette. Honestly, there is not enough difference here to be concerned about at all. I was going for a bbs yesterday and today and got it with no irritation, or weepers anywhere. The only place not true bbs is at the very bottom of my neck where the hairs grow almost parallel to the skin. No razor of any type has ever given me a bbs there. I shaved four hours ago and even now can't feel stubble on 90 percent of my face when rubbing against the grain.

The Schick glides a little easier than either the Gillette or the Dorco, and if that is a big issue for you, the Schick is the one to get. You likely won't notice much if any difference on the second and subsequent passes. One could if they wished run a lesser bladed model for the first pass if drag was an issue and then still benefit from the great closeness on the second pass that a 5 or more blade cart delivers.

I could be happy with any of these and none of them are going to send me to the poor house. My favorite is the lowest cost, the Dorco, and that is simply because I like the handle the most and I like the shave it gives me the most. The other plus about the Dorco is if you try the Pace 7 and don't like it, you have a handle that works with the Pace 3,4,5,6 carts. The advantage in that also shows itself when you are in a brick and mortar. You can choose any pace cart they have in stock and it will fit your handle.

As to blade longevity, I'm not sure which cart wins. I've never had a cart last me less than 7 shaves so not really a factor for me either. The Dorco currently has 4 or 5 shaves under it's belt so if I get 2 or 3 more, I'm good.

I will compare this to the Bic Flex 5 whenever that arrives. For now, it's back to my Guard and Flex2 and other DE and SE that I've been neglecting. Gotta find out what sort of crazy blade life I can get out of the Guard by arm stropping.

One other note, I realized that I get a much better shave with any of these many bladed carts with a soap or cream that is slick and on the thinner side. Canned foam, unless thinned quite a bit just floats the Dorco 7 and if you look at the spacing on the blades it's easy to see why.

One trick I sometimes do when chasing BBS with my DE or SE is to do the very last pass with just witch hazel. No cushion at all and you can 100% hear what is going on. I didn't resort to that level of chase with any of these carts because with as many blades as they have, it's simply not needed.

Gillette Blue II Plus (1)
22E4EAAA-1E61-4A18-BB03-BC65052627F8.jpeg

A refreshingly simple and satisfyingly aggressive shave.
Is this the disposable equivalent of the Trac II Plus?

Blue II Slalom (1)
AC992292-1751-4AA0-998A-FB7E6D1776D3.jpeg

Is this the disposable equivalent of the Contour Plus?
Certainly a very good shave.

I just bought a Fusion Proglide to see what all the fuss was about and I wonder if the result it gives can be better than this cheap disposable.

Fusion ProShield yellow as pictured above by Chandu. 17 Shaves. I feel that this cartridge is arriving at a sharpness plateau were it will stay on hopefully for many months as it has done before.

Schick Super II Classic Silver plated razor, Vintage Wilkinson Sword Twin (USA) (2)
I am really enjoying the using the Schick Classic razor with vintage Trac II/Wilkinson blades. Closest to a DE experience but even smoother and dare i say it "closer" than i used to get with a DE in the same number of passes.

Schick Super II Classic Silver plated razor, Vintage Wilkinson Sword Twin (USA) (2)
I am really enjoying the using the Schick Classic razor with vintage Trac II/Wilkinson blades. Closest to a DE experience but even smoother and dare i say it "closer" than i used to get with a DE in the same number of passes.
Wow - that is high praise indeed!
I’ve ordered a 7 O’Clock PII and am excited to have the Trac II experience myself, especially after reading this.

Wow - that is high praise indeed!
I’ve ordered a 7 O’Clock PII and am excited to have the Trac II experience myself, especially after reading this.
A bit of background.....i started shaving with the Sensor and canned goo. Moved to Mach 3 and then Fusion. Found this website in 2013 and started DE shaving with Superspeeds, Fatboy and Slim DE razors with brush and good soaps. Did that for over 5 years. Really enjoyed the experience and had zero skin irritation or ingrown hairs (i never got those with cartridges either, although i used to get irritation).
Recently i found my old mach 3 handle and on a whim decided to try out the new Gillette3 carts. I used the same face prep, brush, cream etc that i used when DE shaving. I had a really good smooth, close shave. Thats what brought me to this sub forum. I learned about the Trac II and Atra which we both before my time. (im a sensor kid).
The techniques i learned DE shaving and the face prep brought the cart shaving results to a level i dont remember ever getting when i used to cart shave pre 2013.
Definitely give the PII a go and buy vintage Gillette Trac II or wilkinson or schick blades for it. Made in USA/Germany/UK blades.

A bit of background.....i started shaving with the Sensor and canned goo. Moved to Mach 3 and then Fusion. Found this website in 2013 and started DE shaving with Superspeeds, Fatboy and Slim DE razors with brush and good soaps. Did that for over 5 years. Really enjoyed the experience and had zero skin irritation or ingrown hairs (i never got those with cartridges either, although i used to get irritation).
Recently i found my old mach 3 handle and on a whim decided to try out the new Gillette3 carts. I used the same face prep, brush, cream etc that i used when DE shaving. I had a really good smooth, close shave. Thats what brought me to this sub forum. I learned about the Trac II and Atra which we both before my time. (im a sensor kid).
The techniques i learned DE shaving and the face prep brought the cart shaving results to a level i dont remember ever getting when i used to cart shave pre 2013.
Definitely give the PII a go and buy vintage Gillette Trac II or wilkinson or schick blades for it. Made in USA/Germany/UK blades.
Brilliant! Thanks for the advice - I’m an 80s Contour kid myself :)
I crossed over to carts once I started head shaving.

Just as you say, the skills of prep and technique learned from DE shaving are now giving excellent results with carts.

Fusion Proglide (1)

So now I know... hard as it might be to admit, this is a totally excellent and faultless shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Gillette Guard / 14. Arm stropping after each shave since number 11. Getting good shaves since. Took down 36 hours of stubble in 2 passes to a DFS+ shave with no irritation.

Trac II today. Normally I am a DE shaver BUT...was in a huge hurry today so it was a Foamy Lemon Lime and cart razor day. 4th shave on vintage 1983 Gillette Trac II blades left over from my school days. I must say, it was a DFS and followed up with Lime Sec and no irritation.

Fusion Proglide (1)

So now I know... hard as it might be to admit, this is a totally excellent and faultless shave.

My set up today and got an excellent shave. Paired with a Semogue 620 brush and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man soap.

I’ve been using carts more for workdays lately due to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom