What's new

Which blades to order / to skip

I currently have experience with 3 blades only:
- Shark SS: not my thing. Feels like not sharp enough, tearing at the hairs. Result: my wife wonders if I have shaved at all.
- Mühle: does the job. I once got to 10 shaves but more recently I feel like tossing the blade after 4. Sharpness feels somewhere between Shark and Astra
- Astra SP: preferred blade uptil now. Feels like the sharpest of the 3 but still sufficiently comfortable/forgiving.
I should add my facial hair isn't especially strong, I'm not the hariest type and I have an 'overweight' face.

Now these three tucks are almost empty and I consider ordering a lot more different blades. Not from your personal prefference but from the context above: which ones would you definitely recommend for me and which ones would you suggest I'd rather skip?

• Lord Super Chrome
  • Gillette SS
  • Personna platinum
  • Bic
  • Euromax
  • Dorco Titan
  • Voskhod
  • Astra SS
  • Gillette platinum
  • Gillette SE
  • Perma-sharp

If you want to buy something cheap but sharp and smooth, that lasts for at least 4-5 shaves, buy Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium or Platinum. Buy 100 of those for shaving, the rest buy samples for trying out :D

It would be worth considering the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I find it as smooth as an SP but slightly sharper (although not as sharp as the 7 O'Clock greens, black, Perma-sharp or the Gillette Platinum). If you like the SP level of sharpness, Treet Platinum are also worth a look

Astra sp was my first preferred blade, as it was just sharp enough and quite forgiving.

When I honed my shaving technique I then moved onto Astra SS, Rapira Platinum Lux & Nacet.

Astra SS and Rapira Platinum Lux are just a touch sharper than the Astra SP blade. Also the Nacet is a bit sharper than the SS & RPL.

I often try the Astra SP in my new razors as they are a forgiving and reliable blade, until I get used to the razor.

Also be aware blades also perform different in different razors.

As I recall, you are still developing your technique. If that is the case, stay away from BIC and Feather for now. Astra is a good blade to hone your skills on. But, more importantly, I would try to find a blade quickly and stick with it until you are getting close clean comfortable shaves with little or no irritation.

If you have already gotten your technique settled in, then a sampler pack might be a better choice. You can get them on the Z and if you choose carefully, you can include most of those blades if not all of them.

I usually get great results with Astra SS, Lord Silver Star, Lord Super Chrome, Voskhod and Gillette Nacet.

Voskhod, Perma Sharp and Gillette Platinum worked very good for me.
The thing about blades is that no one opinion is correct for you. You might like to put some pressure on the razor while shaving, so a milder blade might be better for you. Or you might have really thick beard, so a sharper blade would be more appropriate for you. You just have to try and see what works best for you. Thankfully blades are relatively cheap, so you can try many and find the one that agrees the best with your face.
Cheers!

From your list, Astra SS, Personna Platinum, and probably the Gillette Platinum. Definitely (IMO) add the GSB, Personna Med Prep, and Nacet, which are all sharper versions of the blades you are considering. Sharper is often smoother.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Personna platinum became my go-to blade after Astra SP, they are slightly sharper than the Astra SP and have no trouble mowing down any amount of stubble and work in every one of my razors.
However if you are only getting your technique down probably best to concentrate on that first as hunting your apex blade can take a very long time. I'm still trying to find mine but I have a growing list of blades that give me great shaves.

The blades that you've picked are very good and the only one I can think of is Nacet. It's inexpensive and most people love it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I currently have experience with 3 blades only:
- Shark SS: not my thing. Feels like not sharp enough, tearing at the hairs. Result: my wife wonders if I have shaved at all.
- Mühle: does the job. I once got to 10 shaves but more recently I feel like tossing the blade after 4. Sharpness feels somewhere between Shark and Astra
- Astra SP: preferred blade uptil now. Feels like the sharpest of the 3 but still sufficiently comfortable/forgiving.
I should add my facial hair isn't especially strong, I'm not the hariest type and I have an 'overweight' face.

Now these three tucks are almost empty and I consider ordering a lot more different blades. Not from your personal prefference but from the context above: which ones would you definitely recommend for me and which ones would you suggest I'd rather skip?

• Lord Super Chrome
  • Gillette SS
  • Personna platinum
  • Bic
  • Euromax
  • Dorco Titan
  • Voskhod
  • Astra SS
  • Gillette platinum
  • Gillette SE
  • Perma-sharp
The easy answer is all
You could check try a blade and just assemble a variety pack.

It would be worth considering the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow.

Isn't that the same as the Gillette SE? (At least: on the picture it says Gillette 7O'Clock SE, showing a yellow pack)

It would be worth considering the Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. I find it as smooth as an SP but slightly sharper (although not as sharp as the 7 O'Clock greens, ...

Curious what the consensus is. According to the site where I order, the yellow is sharper than the green?

Isn't that the same as the Gillette SE? (At least: on the picture it says Gillette 7O'Clock SE, showing a yellow pack)

Curious what the consensus is. According to the site where I order, the yellow is sharper than the green?

Yes you're right SE is Yellow (I just always refer to them by colour so forgot its actual name!)

I'm not sure if I can paste the link or if its against forum rules, but if you look up the refined shave sharpness testing, Yellow starts off marginally sharper but then the Greens and Black overtake it and get a lot sharper on shaves 2 and 3. Not everyone agrees with refined shave results, but I find them to be a good indicator and match my experience with blades I've used.

Blade preference is very much YMMV but these are the ones that work for me. My opinion of Shark blades mirrors yours.
Astra
Feather
Gillette 7 O'clock (green, black and yellow)
Vikings Sword (Israeli) <-- I am finding these the ones I turn to most.
Wilkinson Sword (German)
VDH (German)

The ones I would advise assuming you like sharp

Gillette Nacet, silver blue, platinum. 7 o clock black.
Bic
Derby premium
Kai for just some more

Wizamet (not my blade in my razors but loved by many

Top Bottom