What's new

which between these two?

Can't argue with that. Good show, Frank Shaves. That combo hone and a strop pasted red will get you there in the short run. Use some 320x wet/dry sandpaper wet on a thick (1/4") piece of plate glass to lap the combo hone as needed. The 320x wet/dry sandpaper could even be used wet on the plate glass to hone out visible chips if we are talking junker razors.
i have jewlers rouge and the green polishing compund. the green one is on my canvas strop and the red one on a piece of denim i made into a cloth. which one of these would be preferrable to use. or would i use both and in which order?

Green polishing compound is not pure Chrome Oxide. It is of unknow grit and grit size and usually will leave a harsh edge, delivering the exact opposite of what Chromium Oxide will do.

Pure Chromium Oxide is not expensive or difficult to get about $10.

Substrate depends on the goal. Leather will polish finer and straighten the edge more than linen or fabric.

As per PM, I just mailed you the following:
  • King 1000/6000 combo stone
  • Beau Brummel razor
  • Inexpensive strop
  • Jarlink loupe with LED light
  • A bunch of soaps, including some Arko and 1/4 puck of old formula tallow-based Tabac
I would soak the 1000 side of the King in about 0.25 inch of water for about 2 minutes before use. You should be able to just splash water on the 6000 side.

The razor has some wear and could use a heel correction but should be a good razor for learning how to set a bevel. For more information about heel correction, read this thread starting at:

The strop is short with very light draw. Should make a good practice strop. Be careful when moving to a better strop with more draw so you don't nick the better strop.

The battery in the Jarlink seems to be dead. The loupe takes LR1130 alkaline or SR1130 silver oxide batteries. I had bought some Duracell 389 (equivalent to SR1130) batteries for the Jarlink, but I could not find them.

I hope this stuff serves you well and let us know how you get on. Enjoy!

Everything.

1640802486385.png

King 1000/6000 combo.

1640802640274.png

Beau Brummel razor.

1640802685906.png

Duracell 389 battery for Jarlink loupe.

1640803476539.png

As per PM, I just mailed you the following:
  • King 1000/6000 combo stone
  • Beau Brummel razor
  • Inexpensive strop
  • Jarlink loupe with LED light
  • A bunch of soaps, including some Arko and 1/4 puck of old formula tallow-based Tabac
I would soak the 1000 side of the King in about 0.25 inch of water for about 2 minutes before use. You should be able to just splash water on the 6000 side.

The razor has some wear and could use a heel correction but should be a good razor for learning how to set a bevel. For more information about heel correction, read this thread starting at:

The strop is short with very light draw. Should make a good practice strop. Be careful when moving to a better strop with more draw so you don't nick the better strop.

The battery in the Jarlink seems to be dead. The loupe takes LR1130 alkaline or SR1130 silver oxide batteries. I had bought some Duracell 389 (equivalent to SR1130) batteries for the Jarlink, but I could not find them.

I hope this stuff serves you well and let us know how you get on. Enjoy!

Everything.

View attachment 1385706

King 1000/6000 combo.

View attachment 1385708

Beau Brummel razor.

View attachment 1385709

Duracell 389 battery for Jarlink loupe.

View attachment 1385714
oh my god! thank you so much. this will definitely help me out very muuch. ill keep you all posted to let you know how i do with it!!! thank you so much

i have jewlers rouge and the green polishing compund. the green one is on my canvas strop and the red one on a piece of denim i made into a cloth. which one of these would be preferrable to use. or would i use both and in which order?

I don't know the components involved so I cannot comment on them. By "red paste," I was referring to the Solingen red paste compound, either in block or tube form. This can be applied to a cotton, linen, or leather component (the surface of the leather being sanded with 80x to 120x sandpaper) to advance the edge from the 6k, followed by stropping on plain leather. Another economical option, as you mentioned being on a limited budget, would be to follow the 6k with one or two small pieces of Welsh slate, with a dragon's tongue serving as a poor-man's coticule and a Welsh purple refining things from there. Not sure if one could go straight to the Welsh purple from the 6k, lleaving out the dragon's tongue; but it might be possible, say, if one side of the Welsh purple was lapped a little coarser and used with water, and the other sapped lapped up to 500x and used with light machine oil.

I don't know the components involved so I cannot comment on them. By "red paste," I was referring to the Solingen red paste compound, either in block or tube form. This can be applied to a cotton, linen, or leather component (the surface of the leather being sanded with 80x to 120x sandpaper) to advance the edge from the 6k, followed by stropping on plain leather. Another economical option, as you mentioned being on a limited budget, would be to follow the 6k with one or two small pieces of Welsh slate, with a dragon's tongue serving as a poor-man's coticule and a Welsh purple refining things from there. Not sure if one could go straight to the Welsh purple from the 6k, lleaving out the dragon's tongue; but it might be possible, say, if one side of the Welsh purple was lapped a little coarser and used with water, and the other sapped lapped up to 500x and used with light machine oil.
Where can I find those stones?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
now i have a choice coming up for me to seriously start my honing journy and im on a budget for short term and long term. which of these would be a better choice to realkly seriously start learning on?

choice 1: with this i think it would last longer and possibly work better than the lapping film in my second choice. i want to try stones but cant throw a ton of money at the stones just to find out i like using them less than lapping film. it looks like it woulkd be easier to set up and use and has nearly everything i need. i know eric from AIWS has sharpened razors with a set from this price and has gotten a good edge from the ones he used. these seem like they would last a long time and i wouldent have to replace them for a long time. even mentions sharpening razors with them in the description and has 4.5 stars Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XMB14V8/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GL161FOBBJK5

choice 2: ive had some experience with lapping film but its really left a bad taste in my mouth partially cause i didnt know how finicky thwey would be at first and i didnt have a proper substrate besides a stained mirror. but this set comes with the flat plexi glass as a substrate and pressure sensitive adhesive meaning i could use one plate to holkd two grits and not have to remove the sheets and rish\k getting something under them. but i also know these lapping films wear out quicker and are way more finicky to use than stones. im hesatant to have another go with them but perhaps with the float glass or whatever its called as a substrate it may be different. https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-279205-Lapping-Microfinishing-Sharpening/dp/B07TBGTVHF/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3A0QEFHVZ3OEN&keywords=lapping+film+kit+plexiglass&qid=1640651851&sprefix=lapping+film+kit+plexiglass,aps,108&sr=8-7

im really worried about wasting money since my income isnt guaranteed from month to month. i know next month ill have the money but after that idk. any imput and help would greatly be appreciated! thank you!
You can get 3x12x3/4 plexiglass from Tap Plastic for a reasonable price. Works perfectly.

Where can I find those stones?

On eBay or the UK ebay (ebay.co.uk), there is a fellow by the name of AJ. Here's a link to the two stones in question, albeit marketed for axes: PAIR OF NATURAL HONE SHARPENING STONE IDEAL FOR AXE HATCHET RAZOR BLADE // | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/185112050983?hash=item2b1989bd27:g:3~UAAOxyPKNTlzYB. The ones I've lately been using and like are sized ~35mm x ~125mm-~130mm. They work well for me and did not cost much, but now the delivery rate has gone up, like everything else. Write him and ask him if he has these as they are not currently listed. From my experience, he will cut things the way you want when he has the chance.

On eBay or the UK ebay (ebay.co.uk), there is a fellow by the name of AJ. Here's a link to the two stones in question, albeit marketed for axes: PAIR OF NATURAL HONE SHARPENING STONE IDEAL FOR AXE HATCHET RAZOR BLADE // | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/185112050983?hash=item2b1989bd27:g:3~UAAOxyPKNTlzYB. The ones I've lately been using and like are sized ~35mm x ~125mm-~130mm. They work well for me and did not cost much, but now the delivery rate has gone up, like everything else. Write him and ask him if he has these as they are not currently listed. From my experience, he will cut things the way you want when he has the chance.

To quote myself, since I can no longer edit, you might also ask AJ (Antony) to send you a small purple stone by itself, to keep costs down. In the end, it may do the trick off the 6k King, as a decent 3k JIS synth bridges to a coticule followed by the purple stone; and the 6k King would effectively be functioning like a coticule in this purview.

My limited experience in shaving off a 6k JIS synth (Suehiro in my case) is that a lot of stropping on plain leather is needed directly off the hone. The shave is perfectly serviceable, but not exactly the ultimate. In honing, if a direct jump from the 6k JIS to the Welsh purple is too far, then a plain leather stropping directly off the 6k to even the edge a little bit followed by honing on the purple stone and a return to plain leather might improve things; but in the end, a strop lined with the Solingen red paste off the 6k, followed by plain leather, would be simpler and cost less, as given above...

FWIW, CrOx on a denim strop after the 6k should work well; stropping on plain leather or palm stropping afterwards. (I got some of the green crayon at Lowes used for buffing wheels, works great.)
It's quick and easy to find the required items i.e., thrifted blue jeans, and a trip to Lowes.
Years ago I put my Solingen pastes in the freezer since they are very soft at RT; I went to get them and could never find them. Not sure what the moral of that story is, but they do work nicely as Alum suggests.

oh my god! thank you so much. this will definitely help me out very muuch. ill keep you all posted to let you know how i do with it!!! thank you so much
If you can find an old hard ark for a decent price(you can buy it'll probably be a smith's instead of norton or pike) you'll be able to put amazing edges on your knives. The old smith's hb4 in a cedar box would probably run you between $10 and $30 if I remember correctly. I paid $30 for this one and it fishes a razor beautiful(knives and chisels too). You could find an old 4-5" Norton slip stone from between $30-$50 but sometimes you get lucky. I got lucky with this one, got it for $30. It is the absolute best finishing stone I have but honing in hand, on a slip stone is a pretty tall order for any honesmith that doesn't have lots of experience honing in hand. A small stand would be easy to chisel out of a piece of wood though. Smith's stones don't get any love but their VINTAGE stones are capable razor stones and what I learned to hone a razor on. I used my cheap water stones on a few razors but I hated the constant flattening and the feedback they gave. If you get an arkansas they will last multiple lifetimes and will only need flattening once. Vintage arkansas stones, are in my opinion, the best bang for your buck and will improve the edge off every finishing stone I've got and there's no lack of choices around here.

Edit* the smith's stone is semi translucent and is much more dense and crystalline than the picture shows. I have a molted one too that looks like a modern medium but it's density is 2.58 so it'll surely finish a razor.

Screenshot_20220121-184304_eBay.jpg20220121_184841.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom