What's new

Which American made, FULL grain casual briefcase/messenger bag/shoulder bag?

Gents I need some advice & I bet this is right up a lot of your alleys!

I am going to be needing a briefcase for a new job & am looking for the messenger/shoulder bag style.

The job dress is going to be business casual, so nice slacks - greys & blacks or khakis & nice polo shirts. (I think it will be company shirts & will be white)

I've been doing some research & I think a tan/tobacco brown color seems to be the most suggested for this type of attire? Black is too formal & I could probably go with a dark coffee if I wanted but I really don't know what I want & would be happy with any color really. The Tobacco brown is a sharp color too.

It MUST be American made. I don't need the best name brand, I just want the best quality for what I can afford & something that will last a lifetime. And because I want it to last it MUST be FULL GRAIN leather.

I've found saddlebackleather.com & their bags are AWESOME, this bag & company seems to have everything I want, but the price is a little up there for me. I was hoping to have a price point of around $300.

I would probably go with something like a tobacco thin briefcase: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase-Thin?sc=8&category=301406

Are there any other American leather companies making a similar bag with FULL GRAIN leather for less? If not I will probably sack it up & save until I can afford a Saddleback unless someone can advise me otherwise. I know I will not be disappointed and will have it for a lifetime if I go with them.

Saddleback leather seems to scratch & show wear very easy, just the nature of their product.

Is there any other type of full grain leather that doesn't show every nick & scratch giving it that "wear" look? Any full grain leather that keeps the "like new" look, if so what do I need to look for to find that?

And as far as closures, I see most are buckles, these seem to be the most durable for long term use? No other type of quick release clasp is any good? Doing/undoing a buckle every time can be cumbersome.

Any difference between a bag that has 2 buckles or 1? Is it just visual preference at that point?

Remember my price point is around $300 unless I can only get what I want with Saddleback (American full grain) then I'll go with them.

Last edited:
Ive had a Saddleback Leather briefcase for about 8+ years now. It isnt perfect but it should last a life time thats for sure.
Personally i think they look better once they age.

Sometimes the 3 buckles can be a pain but they are without a doubt the most bomb proof method of closing the the bag and they look great! Sometimes i just do up the main middle buckle but once you get used to it you'll find yourself opening 3 buckles without even thinking about it.

For the money i dont think you will find anything that comes close to the Saddleback stuff. Its bloody cheap for what your getting. Sure you could spent 2,3,4X the price of Saddleback and get something more refined but id be surprised if you could get something even close to it for less.

Travis.

Yeah I'm not sure if I need a full size briefcase or the thin one yet. I will know in a couple of weeks once I get into the job enough to know what I will need on a daily basis. So for me it will be 1 buckle or 3.

I realize the 3 buckles is added security, I'm not really sure it is warranted for my current situation, but sometimes it's better to have them & not need them than need them & not have them. (situations always change & this is a buy once, cry once ordeal so maybe the larger 3 buckle briefcase is what I should get?)

What do you mean it isn't perfect? Usually my look is more refined and I would get something to fit, but this round and this job the casual, yet classy & high quality look of these saddlebacks is amazing.

If there's nothing that can compare for cheaper, well then Saddleback it is. I better start saving & I hope I don't need the large briefcase! lol

I'm even considering the Dave's deals as cosmetic blemishes are going to happen as soon as I get it anyways.

Dont stress :) I would seriously be one of the most fussy people in the world. I just looked at their website and saw the video on 'daves deals'. Well using that philosophy id say i tend to look at things and look for perfection from 1mm to a 0.0001" tolerance :)

The bags are great. Honestly i havent seen the Saddleback website and or products since i bought my bag (until a couple minutes ago), it was a long time ago and i dare say over they would be a well oiled machine these days with their manufacturing etc. Mind you there are a few things i like better about my bag because, its mine and its old lol.

I havent had my bag out in use for a while. I did however use it for years traveling 4 hours a day 5 days a week, 2hrs into work and 2hrs home via. Trains a bus and a 30minute walk. Other then developing a beautiful used finish the bag is functionally 100% perfect. There is zero sign of what id call actual wear. I look forward to the day i can put it back to use.

Travis.

You are aware Saddleback Leather products are manufactured in Mexico? So they are NOT made in the USA.

From my understanding of Saddleback's story, Dave the owner had the bags made in mexico when he was just starting out but has made all bags IN the US out of American cow hide for years now.

Pretty sure the Professor is right. I didnt think they were made in the USA.

Google brings up many discussions on the matter, i found some people saying their new products are stamped made in Mexico but bottom line is everyone pretty much says they are made in Mexico. There is no such stamp on my old briefcase, i have no idea where the bags were made in the early 2000's when i got mine all i remember is the guy seemed pretty crazy eccentric and i loved the look of the bags :)

Clearly they have been a big success and he's certainly expanded his product line since starting out. If only i had an IPAD, i think id need to get one of their cases for it!! I dont even think Ipods were around or 'big' when i got my bag haha.

Travis.

I have several Saddleback products, and do not remember a tag saying made in Mexico. I thought if not domestic, a product had to be labled as to country of origin, at least initially until it gets to the consumer.

That said, I have one of their large satchels, not as big as my briefcase but a lot handier and it carries what I need. Construction and quality of materials is second to none!

I am a proud owner of a Saddleback large thin breifcase and a small ID wallet, both in chestnut. The wallet is clearly stamped as being "Made in Old Mexico" right alongside the stamping of "Blue" the dog. Craftsmanship is impeccable on both items. Even though the briefcase doesn't say it, it's made in Mexico. Many of us in Texas know that Mexican leathercrafters are some of the best in the world.

Of course, I've also driven Volkswagens for years, and each has been manufactured in Puebla, Mexico. The plant's quality control numbers trounce the German factories.

Not a huge hangup for me.

Last edited:
Saddleback products are indeed made in Mexico. Any one familiar with Southern Mexican leather working will recognize the product as such. I, personally, would not claim Mexican leather working to be the best in the world, but I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and value. The lack of any finishing steps on the products makes them less desirable to me.

Regardless of where it's made, I have a Large Saddleback Thin Briefcase in the old Tobacco color and it is spectacular. Just big enough for the business portion of most business trips, and it always looks great. Don't worry too much about the scratches, it looks right with a bit of wear.

I am a proud owner of a Saddleback large thin breifcase and a small ID wallet, both in chestnut. The wallet is clearly stamped as being "Made in Old Mexico" right alongside the stamping of "Blue" the dog. Craftsmanship is impeccable on both items. Even though the briefcase doesn't say it, it's made in Mexico. Many of us in Texas know that Mexican leathercrafters are some of the best in the world.

I have been reading about Mexico's really high leather quality. Clearly Saddleback is of the utmost quality and they know what they are doing. I'm sure you can get a more refined look out of an English or Italian leather briefcase, but the Saddlebacks seem to be right up there with the best of them and without the price of a fancy name.

I really wanted something made 100% in US, but I don't think I'll be able to find a better quality bag. Everyone raves about how good Saddleback is. Everyone. And as far as I can tell they are the only one within their price range that uses FULL grain leather - but if someone can show me another US made full grain leather manufacturer, please do so.

Saddleback products are indeed made in Mexico. Any one familiar with Southern Mexican leather working will recognize the product as such. I, personally, would not claim Mexican leather working to be the best in the world, but I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and value. The lack of any finishing steps on the products makes them less desirable to me.

What do you mean the lack of finishing steps? Is this why their bags scratch & scuff easy giving it that worn look? Usually I'm all for the new, pristine look but for some reason I'm drawn to a saddleback style.

I'm debating whether I am going to get a large Tobacco brown Thin Briefcase or a large Tobacco brown Satchel. I don't think I want to go as big as a large classic briefcase, it's a lot more money & a few pounds heavier. I just hope I don't need to carry that much for the new job. The satchel would be more useful overtime for a variety of things other than just strictly for business vs the thin briefcase is really just for business because of the small compartments only fitting files/folders & laptops/ipads. The thing briefcase seems a tad more professional, but not really as they both have such a close look.

The large satchel is even the most versatile & best price point yet at $408 brand new & even cheaper for a Dave's deals.

I'm def going to be getting a brown & black belt from them over time too.

I had a medium Saddleback. An excellent, well made bag that turned out to be too much for my needs. I "traded" it for a Filson Leather Field Satchel, made in the USA. Two years on, it is beginning to break in; it is made to last.

$88722_39218-leather-field-satchel-black_large.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I really wanted something made 100% in US, but I don't think I'll be able to find a better quality bag. Everyone raves about how good Saddleback is. Everyone.

What do you mean the lack of finishing steps?

Saddleback certainly gets full marks for making something durable out of nice thick leather. You can find "better" leather bags, often as a much more 'refined' sort of leather goods, but at a higher price. Check out some of the English bridle-leather goods, and the all-leather briefcase made by Filson, for example. But a $2,000 briefcase from Swayne Adney Briggs is going to look a lot more "refined" than Saddleback and be the sort of thing you wear with your best suit, and make sure doesn't get scratched, wet, rained on, or basically anything. And it's something you wear with your best suit, not with jeans and such, which you CAN do with Saddleback. Think of the difference between a Rolls Royce and a rugged pick-up.

The lack of finishing steps ... the leather is closer to being the raw material, if you will. Over a few decades you will oil it and use it and oil it and use it and oil it and use it ... it will get scratched, dented, dinged, drenched, dried, dropped, stepped on and lord knows what else ... but with this type of leather those become badges of honour as it were, rather than blemishes to try to fix by sending back to the manufacturer for another expensive re-finish.

I've got a large Saddleback Thin Briefcase in Dark Coffee Brown. I've been using it daily for work, and it works great. It's solidly built and well made. However, as noted above they are definitely manufactured in Mexico. However, I'm happy with my purchase and I know it's built to last for years. I've gotten a number of compliments on it as well.

I considered a Mitchell briefcase, but considering the price, it might be something that waits until I retire from the military.

I'm still pretty sold on the Saddleback, I haven't found anything similar in looks, quality & price really. Depending on what my new job requires as far as what I'll have to carry with me, I'm really leaning towards a satchel. If I have to carry a laptop I'll probably get the thin briefcase. But I'm hoping if I have to carry a computer of some kind it can be an ipad/tablet which would fit perfect in the small flap of the Saddleback satchel.

I found another company, www.rusticleather.com which some may call a ripoff/clone of Saddleback, but they are 100% made in USA & have the same FULL grain leather & double stitching that SB does. The only difference is that Rustic Leather uses suede for their interior which SB uses pig skin.

I'm not familiar with the wear aspects of suede over time, SB mentions that pig skin is the 2nd most durable skin. The suede also gives the Rustic Leather bags a softer & floppier of a feel apparently.

The Rustic leather satchels are slightly nicer because one of the outside pockets has a flap closure to tuck things away like business cards in that one while still having a water bottle pocket on the other side. But they don't make their satchel in large & I'm not sure I want the suede over pig skin.

Wowzers, that really looks like a blatant ripoff of Saddleback for sure. Personally i think the Saddleback looks better still regardless.

(Overall proportions, how far over the flap sits on the front of the bag etc).

Personally i wouldnt buy from them regardless of their manufacturing location given the near identical designs to Saddleback..

Travis.

Top Bottom