What's new

Where insanity lies??

It's actually cheaper to buy the three pieces separately (by about $10) but look how cool and me with a birthday coming up... A case of form over function from Muhle?? I've already been suckered into another brush from them. :crazy:

proxy.php

lasta

Blade Biter
What, @lasta, am I on board the train to crazy town?? ;)
Not my place to judge haha.

The train goes round and round, with stops at regular intervals and crazies getting on and off all the time.

We are all crazy, only difference is when we get on, and where we choose to get off.

Personally, I haven't been wetshaving as long as you haha. But I had one DE and 4 straights for ~15 years before this hair removal thing turned into a "hobby" rather than a daily chore. 5 years ago, I was using a straight razor with leftover lather from my facewash!

I hopped on the soap carriage first, before making my way to brushes, then razors/blades.

I've now left the soap/brush train, and thinking about getting off the razors/blades as well. Next stop, or so they say!

Not my place to judge haha.

The train goes round and round, with stops at regular intervals and crazies getting on and off all the time.

We are all crazy, only difference is when we get on, and where we choose to get off.

Personally, I haven't been wetshaving as long as you haha. But I had one DE and 4 straights for ~15 years before this hair removal thing turned into a "hobby" rather than a daily chore. 5 years ago, I was using a straight razor with leftover lather from my facewash!

I hopped on the soap carriage first, before making my way to brushes, then razors/blades.

I've now left the soap/brush train, and thinking about getting off the razors/blades as well. Next stop, or so they say!
The other day, an old topic's author referred to our thing as a daily manly ritual. The rang true to the way I
try and define it. This ain't no hobby for me and while I have a collection of things, I am not a collector in that I'm not trying to build a type collection or similar. Just razors and brushes I want to try that are attractive whether vintage or newer (this Muhle would be my third synth brush and second since joining). Most of what I own is vintage and old school razors, soaps, creams, brushes, etc. I don't have a shave den, I have shaving cabinets in my bathroom where it's all out of site until the gear is chosen for that days shave. I mean I do have a wife that's been giving me the stink eye for 40+ years so...

lasta

Blade Biter
That being said, the Birch Muhle has caught my eye for a while too.

I think this is a well deserved ambassador for "German Manufacturing"! The finish on their razors puts craftsmen's selling 2x-3x their price to shame.

If they offer a 1.7-1.8x handle length vs head width, I would jump on board too! Not that handle length makes a difference in shaving, I just like the proportion better!

Good looking razors shave me better.

Hell, if they sell that handle separately in 75-80mm like old Gillettes, I'd buy one in every color!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's actually cheaper to buy the three pieces separately (by about $10) but look how cool and me with a birthday coming up... A case of form over function from Muhle?? I've already been suckered into another brush from them. :crazy:

proxy.php
Those actually look pretty sharp.
Is that layered cork, like some knife handles are made from layered bands of leather?

Those actually look pretty sharp.
Is that layered cork, like some knife handles are made from layered bands of leather?
They are birch. Long wearing and water resistant. I don't have the Muehles, but birch looks very nice with some layers of oil applied. You could go whole-hog, and drop the razor handle in a cannister of stabilizer and pressure treat it...then contour it a bit...polish, and turn it into a $400 dollar handle at labor cost.:c2: I have a problem, and I reject the idea that I need treatment!

lasta

Blade Biter
What I want to know is, where you got those? Because those are some beautiful handles, and SWCT's rabbit hole for a brain is singing. 😍

Haha thanks.

They are all custom made by a retired HVAC guy I found on Chinese Craigslist.

If I picked these up off a shelf, I'd think they are beautiful too. But having a guy to talk to, bounce ideas, modifications between batches, and exploring size/weight/balance/materials is what made these special. The silver plating I did myself.

Shavemac and Elite Razors do custom work too, if you want to support local.

But let's not derail the subject. Hand made handles are great, but they don't come near the manufacturing precision of Muhles.

I called Muhle Shaving this morning and the stand I'd looked at on their site for $45 is chromed. Further down the list is this matte finish stand for $60. The the guy was sorta surprised there wasn't a discount of more than about a buck. As pretty as it is, if I'm happy with the Karelian Birch brush on its way to, I might buy just the Birch Bark razor from this set (all three pieces are sold separately). The head is stainless, not zamak but they had me with the handle!

proxy.php

Great looking regardless! Plus you have a birthday coming up!! :thumbup1:

After years and years of happy use (and metal on metal on that stand) expect some nice wear, tear and scratches on those matte finish. I never understand the function of such stands, prone also to hooks and tumbles. My razors stay on their side on wood surface and look like freshly unboxed.

proxy.php
Nice looking set and happy birthday. Note that with all your recent/potential hardware acquisitions you may be on the verge of crossing over from the ritual to hobby classification.🙂

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Your shave cabinet will end up looking like a modern art museum. I have to agree that the quality of Muhle gear is second to none and the design is often breathtaking, so no surprise I have become a Muhle fanboy myself.

Nice looking set and happy birthday. Note that with all your recent/potential hardware acquisitions you may be on the verge of crossing over from the ritual to hobby classification.🙂
Nah. I haven't bought that much. Most of the things I've bought in the past few months has been software. And a few other things were pure curiosity and boredom with much of what I've had for so many years.

If anyone is interested in the razor shaving.ie will sell you one for about $86 shipped! I've decided to pass on this one (as well as the set), lovely as it looks. I don't think I like the size of the razor now that I've seen a few shave videos with it. Sounds like it might be a little more aggressive than I like. Maybe not but, I do have some other razors that are perfect for me and a Tatara Masamune inbound.

Top Bottom