What's new

When to sanitize your razor.

For razors that I own, rinse under hot water and with the blade in the razor dip in rubbing alcohol (not to sanitize but to eliminate all water). If I buy a used razor, clean with Scrubbing Bubbles.

After each shave I wash my razor with a mild soap and a soft toothbrush, dry it and store it. I am the only user of my razors. Any reason to periodically or occasionally sanitize the razors with barbicide?
I use a good quantity of alcohol, preferably bourbon,usually over ice. That way if I cut myself germs can’t get in.

Most of my razors are second hand so when I get a new one, I scrub with Dawn a couple of times to remove most of the gunk. Then they get a Scrubbing Bubbles bath and then soaked in Barbicide for 10 minutes.

I rotate my razors so when I'm finished with one, it only gets a Scrubbing Bubbles bath, rinse and then back on the shelf.

I almost never do. I just give them a good scrubdown with a toothbrush and some dish soap when I replace the blade.
Especially if its a new razor and you are the only one using it, I dont think you really need to worry about it. Barbicide is really something that is more for barbers who are using the same combs, scissiors and razors on dozens of people every day and the risk of pathogens is a very real thing.

Realistically alcohol and barbercide works more or less the same but honestly if it’s your own razor and your not sharing it around what’s the point of it all wash and put away unless you don’t know the history of it and it’s first use yeah got nuts cleaning but I think once you did it once no point after that unless u get build up of soap but even then

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Like the others, I sanitize a second hand razor when I first get it, and rarely after. I clean them periodically, but don’t give them the full sanitizing treatment. Vintage razor acquisitions get a soak in hot soapy water, a scrub with a toothbrush, a soak in scrubbing bubbles, another brushing, and a dip in 91% alcohol. If it’s still grungy it goes into the ultrasonic, then through the whole process again.

New (used) razors get the treatment - thorough cleaning, scrubbing bubbles and Barbercide. Razors I use a lot get the scrubbing bubbles and a good scrub when they are really gunked up and need a good cleaning.

Once in a while I scrub my main unit with an old toothbrush. It’s usually pretty scummy.

I keep my Gillettes more tidy.

My main unit is a 37c.

I’ve scrubbed second hand razors and let them soak in alcohol... but other than scrubbing some soap scum build up on ones I’ve used for awhile, maybe every year or so... I’ve never sanitized. I assume they’re already my germs and what hasn’t already killed me will... you get the idea.

Top Bottom