What's new

when should I move my Merkur from the first setting to the second?

Hi everyone,

I have been using a Merkur Futur for about 2weeks now and would like to ask when I should move from the first setting onto the second? Or should I move to maybe the 3rd?

Thank you all :)

New Guy, I too use that razor on #1. I get a good shave. I have tried #2 and no real improvement on the shave but a little bit more nicks. I would say if #1 gives you a good shave stick with it.

Hi everyone,

I have been using a Merkur Futur for about 2weeks now and would like to ask when I should move from the first setting onto the second? Or should I move to maybe the 3rd?

NewGuy, the only time you should move up is when you are getting costantly good shaves on your current setting. I wouldn't skip to three. Try two for a few days and if your shave is good on that, then move to a three. It may take several weeks or a few months to move up, but as mkevenson said, if your shave is good on one, you may just want to leave it there.

DL

Wait till you have a hangover. Put in a new feather blade. Dial the razor to setting 6. Get shaving. Call for an ambulance. In that order!
Cheers,
Martin

Hi everyone,

There really is no rule so to speak as to when a position change should take place.

If your comfortable with what you do know, go ahead and bump it up one or two. See how it works for you.
Many folks such as myself get a much better shave from a more aggressive razor and setting. You may be the same.

Give it a shot, you can always dial back.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try the number two setting when I next shave (in 2-3days time). Will let you know how I get on :)

Give it a shot, you can always dial back.

+1, and you won't really know until you try. I owned razors with a reputation for giving a mild shave for the beginning of DE adventure, and I was extremely surprised to find that an adjustable on the most aggressive setting gave me a comfortable, close shave. Think of it this way -- worst case you take a break from shaving for 2 or 3 days to heal and then resume as normal.

Top Bottom