What's new

When do you put on a coat for the winter?

Northern Ontario, Canada here.
At this time of year, mornings can be +2C (36F) climbing to a daytime high of +20C (68F). I still don't need to wear a coat or hoodie yet.
Several years ago, I attended Front Sight Firearms Training Center in Nevada for their 4 day defensive handgun course. I went in March to avoid the heat. It was nice and cool in the mornings, about 50F. There was a couple from Alaska in our pod of shooters. We were the only people in T -shirts in the mornings. Everyone else wore a jacket. Some wore parkas.
Instructors and staff were always checking us Northerners for adequate hydration and signs of heat exhaustion. They were awesome.

I agree, its all about what you are used to. I was in Auckland two weeks ago, the temperature was 62F by midday and around 45 at 8:00, people were going to work in heavy wool coats and even fur coats, I was just wearing a suit and thinking, as Lou says, its a perfect day.

I don't like cold weather at all, but I won't break out a coat until the temps get into the low to mid 30's. Other than that, a light jacket will do.

We can get a few cool days in December when at night it can "down" to about 45F. During the day it gets to the mid to high 60s. So a light coat is all that is necessary.

After 20+ years in SE Asia I still find it funny how a couple of degrees' deviation can have the locals scurrying for coats and sweaters. When I first arrived in Jakarta, a few weeks in we had a company away weekend in an area called the Puncak Pass: up in the hills between the cities of Bandung and Bogor there are many tea plantations and it's where the colonial rulers used to escape the heat of old Batavia (as the Dutch called it). Obviously, I'd never heard of it so I asked the staff what it was like, and was told it was up in the hills and very cold. I had visions of the Alps or Snowdonia so I packed a sweater and my only jacket.

Daytime was a very pleasant 25C and nights plummeted to about 18C.

The staff huddled into parkas and puffa jackets, and showed symptoms of hypothermia.

The expat staff got their shorts on and had a few beers on the terraces.

I am warm natured. It gets plenty cold for most folks around here, but if you see me in the legit coat, there is probably snow on the ground, and I plan to be outside for an extended period of time.
Going to work, etc., a light jacket serves me well except on the coldest of days.
I have a heavy, wool overcoat, but I'd say it's been 6-7 years since I've even had it out.

I live in Hawaii and Southern California. Therefore, anything below 70 requires at least a light jacket and a hat. Below 60, I move to a heavier coat. Below 50 and I look like I'm headed out on an arctic expedition. Below 40... I'd probably die!!!

This. I'm in So Cal

A long sleeve shirt at about 40F and a jacket at about 30F. My big coat doesn’t come out until it hits about 20F. This is for normal everyday activity.

When hunting, it depends on if I’m moving or sitting. Moving is layers once it gets around freezing. Sitting and heavier clothing comes out when in the 40’s.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Top Bottom