What's new

When do you put on a coat for the winter?

I'm very interested in this.

I'm originally from Alaska. As such, once I put on a coat, I don't really take it off until May or June when I absolutely have to. This is mostly because my pockets get full if everything (combs, phones, plugs, pens, wallets, whatever) that I inevitably lose when I switch to summer clothes.

I've found over the years that I won't put on a coat until it is about 25F°-30°F.. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this morning it was 37 and I didn't feel the nip!

What about all of you?

That is an interesting approach. I can see where growing up in Alaska would condition one to the cold.

For me, it is a fleece in the low 50's and heavier stuff below that. Guess I am just a wimp.

I'm in Maine, not quite Alaska. I do fleece and light wool until late November. After that it's my Patagonia down or my LL Bean storm chaser until April.

For or me gloves are more important than a coat. My hands go numb quickly.

My feet regulate my body temperature until it gets too cold... Luckily I have a million warm socks to wear!

Once it starts to go below 55 I'm wearing at least the liner from my Filson. Add rain or wind and it's full coat time.

light sweater 40-50
jacket 20-40
winter coat 10-20
winter coat and light sweater underneath 0-10
winter coat, thick sweater and winter underwear below 0.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Is the question for one going outside for an hour or more? Or getting in a car and driving to work, ? For the former, depends on wind and activity level, the latter depended on function ..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Our weather swings too wildly to say. Thanksgiving day may be 30 degrees, and Christmas may be 80. Yes, I have grilled steaks on Christmas day while wearing shorts. Had it been cold, I still would have grilled, but would have been wearing a jacket.

If it's 50, I put long pants on and a jacket. It never gets below freezing during daylight hours here, so on my winter walks it's a fleece lined shell, scarf, watch cap, and usually a sweater underneath. Never need gloves.

But, when it's 115° here there ain't much you can do to stay cool outdoors!

The temperatures here are varying from about 80 in the daytime to about 25 at night, so what I wear depends upon when I am out and how long I expect to be. I always carry a heavy coat and a blanket in the car during the colder season.

Eaaqas,

When I was younger, used to live at over 8000 feet in the rockies, and became quite familiar with sub-zero temperatures. A dry temp of 40 was like spring to me.

However, as an old fart, I find that my fingers begin to stiffen at about 55, and by 45, they are useless. As a result, I my coats keep getting longer and heavier, and they are donned sooner, along with a hat and gloves.

Oh, a solution to your coat pocket problem -- get a vest. Don't get a cargo vest though, because all those pockets accumulate handy little items that are so convenient. The last cargo vest that I had topped out at almost 20 pounds. :001_huh:

Our weather can swing pretty wildly too. It snowed i some parts of SC this weekend (no sticking, just a light dusting). The next day it was up into the 60s. I just wear a coat when I think its cold. When I lived in Cleveland, I'd wear a Peacoat when it started do get too cold for a light jacket. Then Id switch to a heavier jacket when the snow really started piling up.

Like you, I'm a cold weather person 100%, and as long as my core is warm I'll just wear a wool vest and long sleeve shirts into the high 30's before I start to get cold.

However, in Germany the winter weather means rain, and that changes the game big time. Here, a rainy 50F means I get out the Filson stuff and keep it on until April.

Today was the first day of donning my winter coat. It's a Carharrt with Arctic lining. I also use Garbage mitts....yes that's what they're called and I have a Sheepskin Mountie style hat for -25 or colder. I wear a lot other heavy duty winter clothing, but the list is too long to write down.

I live in the coldest large city (category of over 600,000) in the world....

In fact they film, Ice Road Truckers here.

I'm so hot natured that it's ridiculous. It has to be low in the thirties (no wind, mind you) before I even consider putting one on. I don't even start wearing long sleeves until it's in the 40s, at least, much less a jacket.

I love the cold weather, but I'm very sensitive to cold temps.

40F - 60F I start wearing my lightweight (and I mean sub-8oz lightweight) down jacket

Below 40F I start wearing my expedition-grade down parka.

I've also got some merino and alpaca wool garments I use as baselayers. I even have down insulated slippers to walk around in my apartment on cold days. As you can see I don't screw around.

For just going to work or running errands, I'll put on a heavy fleece jacket at 50 degrees and usually stick with it through the winter. When it gets cold enough to frost, I'll break out a pair of light weight fleece gloves. For the rare dip into the teens or even single digits we might have in the Atlanta area, I'll break out a lined heavier coat. I might wear it five times per year.

For extended periods outside (i.e. sporting event in the late fall or early spring), I'll start with the layers....long johns, sweat shirts heavy sock/boots, thicker gloves, stocking hat, etc.

As I'm sure most here can attest, this has changed drastically with age. My cut-off temp for shorts and a sweatshirt used to be 45 degrees. Now it's something like 60, and then only if it's sunny and little to no wind.

Top Bottom