What's new

When do you buy a new soap?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I am almost exclusively a (hard) soap user now and have 6 soaps in permanent rotation. There's just 1 more arriving in my den. I have no plans for buying other soaps.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For the last couple of years I have been using only two soaps at home: MdC most days, and WK Pasha's Pride when I want a little variety.

But I am a favorites guy. I have favorites and feel a little silly using something I like less when my favorite is right there to use.

As long as you're not using your kid's food money and your wife doesn't divorce you, what difference does it make? Be happy. It's soap, not heroin. You want more - buy more.

I only get tempted when virtually everyone on the forum is sending rave reviews about a new soap. So when I purchase another it will be all your faults.

I actively ignore all the sage advice of the forum and force myself to use 1 to completion and to never have more than 2 in storage. Even with ludicrous (pointed out in another another thread) 45-60 second loading I feel like a regular sized soap/cream lasts ~ 3 months so I get the accidental "oops I have more than enough soap to repopulate the planet in event of apocalypse" issue that seems quite common!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I keep a stock of about 5-7 soaps. Once I break open a new soap I use it almost exclusively until it becomes difficult to load.

A&E Asian Pear and Barrister & Mann Seville arrived today in the mail. I am in Boston (Cambridge) now visiting my son who is in graduate school up here. So..... will not be able to try one the soaps out until Thursday morning.

I have plenty of soaps to work through so practically speaking, I don't need to buy for a while. However, I will be interested in good deals and brands that I have not tried before. Also, if there are any good Lime/citrus EO scents, I'll be keen on those.

I haven't bought any soaps for about a year and a half. I am down to around 25 give or take. I have only finished 2 soaps in close to 5 years since I started. There was nothing that stopped me from buying. If I thought I found it interesting I bought it to try it to see if it could top any of the SV soaps I have and none have come close. I have to admit that I used PdP no 63 for the last few shaves and I have to say it ranks right up there. I am starting to prefer soft soaps and creams for ease of lathering especially in the morning before work when in a time crunch.

Yesterday--I just had to try out a new one--MacDuff's Back Country Bourbon made with beer. How could I resist this description: " Strong notes of toasted oak wrapped in a bed of warm vanilla and spice. Our Backcountry Bourbon scent embodies a dram of your favourite whisky had in celebration of long hikes and hard won views. "

Resistance is futile.

I actually forget how many soaps I have now. one container and a drawer full.

......but I need more. what if the ones I really like run out????

since last September 2019 I've only 3017'd one soap. B&M Fougere Angelique and I bought a replacement.

camo

I just recently realized I need to stop buying. Have 40+ on hand. Not sure I’ll ever see them all empty. But variety is the spice of life.....

Up to now I had two drivers; "curiosity" and "budget prices".

The time provide me experience and now I can get decent lather event with a budget soap or cream.

Before a protective good lather was a "need" now it is not at all.

After a certain experience I challanged myself to get a good shave with budget soaps (and DE Razors as well).

Nowadays I go with Tabac (mid price high performer) or budget soap (Derby, Arko, Blueness, Wilkinson Stick)

I've now finished another soap, Barrister and Mann Nordost, so I feel entitled to buy another soap again. For those who wonder why I feel a need to limit myself since soap is fairly cheap, the answer is space. I'm out of room in my vanity, and there is no room left in my wife's either. But now I have room for one more! This time I'll be waiting a bit, since one of my favorites that has been out of production for a while will be available next year. I received an email from Larry at Cold River Soap Works who told me that he'll be producing some more Jardin D'Orange after the New Year. So I'll keep that space open for a while and use the other 29 soaps in the cabinet until then.

I buy soaps on Black Friday sales usually. I currently have 4 soaps, and I have 3 on the way.

They're taking forever though (APO shipping messed up), so I'm considering buying 1 more.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Unless there was something specific I wanted to try, I used to wait until I needed one, and just buy a few samples for variety. Samples aren't particularly good value though, so in time I moved to buying tub soaps, and just serving up a sample sized portion for variety instead (but still keeping one "primary" soap in use). Much better value, and still gives me a bit of wiggle room if I get bored with what I'm using.

The latest bout of shopping was inspired by me getting really irritated by online shopping (various reasons), and wanting to go back to over the counter purchasing. There's not a lot of choice locally though, so I got a stockpile in to see me through the next few years.

I could be happy with one. But have like 50....and interestingly I am not into the whole smell obsession. Recognize it's a waste of $. Maybe I will manage to NOT buy any more....

Top Bottom