What's new

What's your workout today?

I've been nursing a shoulder injury since 15 August. I have Tendinitis in my left shoulder and have had problems off and on over the past 5 years, but this is different/worse. Last month we were doing defensive fighting techniques at work. We were working on fighting off a perpetrator with the expandable baton (ASP) and I was paired up with a guy much bigger than me. I used my strikes to disarm him (he had a training knife) and then he tried to grab my by the head/shoulders. I double punched him in the gut and then lifted him up of over my head and slammed him on the ground. Once our fight was over my shoulder was killing me. It felt like it was getting better for the first couple of days and then started to get progressively worse. Now it is to the point where it hinders everything. If I run it is sore from swinging my arm back and forth. Heck, it even hurts if I try and turn the steering wheel on the car with my left shoulder only. I'm calling to make a Dr. appointment today. Ugh, I was hoping it was just the Tendinitis flaring up again.

This week is all about working heavy, ~95%, and testing new 1 rep maxes.

Today is power snatches, snatch pulls, snatch shrugs, back squats and presses.

I've been nursing a shoulder injury since 15 August. I have Tendinitis in my left shoulder and have had problems off and on over the past 5 years, but this is different/worse. Last month we were doing defensive fighting techniques at work. We were working on fighting off a perpetrator with the expandable baton (ASP) and I was paired up with a guy much bigger than me. I used my strikes to disarm him (he had a training knife) and then he tried to grab my by the head/shoulders. I double punched him in the gut and then lifted him up of over my head and slammed him on the ground. Once our fight was over my shoulder was killing me. It felt like it was getting better for the first couple of days and then started to get progressively worse. Now it is to the point where it hinders everything. If I run it is sore from swinging my arm back and forth. Heck, it even hurts if I try and turn the steering wheel on the car with my left shoulder only. I'm calling to make a Dr. appointment today. Ugh, I was hoping it was just the Tendinitis flaring up again.

Ah, that sounds bad. I hope the doctor gets you squared away.

I found a great way to ice my shoulder when I'm having problems like that. I kept one of those plastic wrap dispensers the last time I moved.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Movers-Stretch-Plastic-Wrap?mid=102

It's the perfect to fasten a bag of ice to my shoulder (or to any other injured area). It'll hold a the bag firmly in position in the most awkward places. I learned this from a friend of mine who was a college baseball player.

More Madcow (5x5) Olympic lifting today. Everything registering significant improvement except bench, which seems to be stuck. I think I'll finish my routine this week, then back off on the bench a bit and try to ramp up again. Finished with 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, pull-ups and abs.

Went to the gym. Did 15 minutes on the stationary bike for a warmup, then bench press, leg exercises, dumb bell curls, shoulder/back machine and the pushups.

More Madcow (5x5) Olympic lifting today. Everything registering significant improvement except bench, which seems to be stuck. I think I'll finish my routine this week, then back off on the bench a bit and try to ramp up again. Finished with 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer, pull-ups and abs.

check these out. I started throwing these in and have noticed an improvement in my pressing. I'm a notoriously weak presser and am using old heavy singles/PRs for sets across.

http://vimeo.com/25983467

Depending on what you respond to best, 3x10, 5x5 or 3x5 or something. It's an accessory movement so just get some work done and you'll be fine. Tweak as you go.

Last night provided a 10lbs power clean PR! :D 170lbs. Damn near had 175, but had to move on because I still had the rest of my workout to do. (including failing hard on a back squat PR... lol)

Tonight is Power clean and Jerk, clean pulls, clean shrugs, front squats, rack jerks, presses.

Yesterday:

With some incline pressing on a hammer strength machine after. setting up the bands takes so long I didn't have time for much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
30 mile easy bike ride.
Easy? :thumbup1:
I had 2 shoulder operation last 2 yrs, I know how u feel.
6 open houses and 4 beers.

It's Sunday, what do you want from me???
Chris, you killing it at work.

Yesterday:

With some incline pressing on a hammer strength machine after. setting up the bands takes so long I didn't have time for much more.
Great link, I doing the triceps w/o tonight

Supersets of the following

Incline DB Bench/Seated Row
DB Shoulder Press/Lat Pulldown
Close Grip Bench Press/High Pulls
Crunches/Planks

Yesterday resulted in a couple of "personal bests". Not all time bests, but certainly the heaviest since I moved back to Saskatchewan over a year ago and my training went to hell... power clean + jerk 225. (clarked 230 a couple times, squat clean it no problem but couldn't get it high enough for power yesterday) and front squat 265. I'm not sure if that's an all time front squat PR or not, for some reason I think I have done 270 or 275 before. Will need to look at my old logs.

Today is a rest day and I'm going to a Santana concert with my dad.

check these out. I started throwing these in and have noticed an improvement in my pressing. I'm a notoriously weak presser and am using old heavy singles/PRs for sets across.

http://vimeo.com/25983467

Depending on what you respond to best, 3x10, 5x5 or 3x5 or something. It's an accessory movement so just get some work done and you'll be fine. Tweak as you go.

That's a really excellent exercise. This was part of my workout many years ago, but at some point shifted to pushdowns. I'll give it a try. How often a week do you do it? Right now, I'm doing straight bar curls and tricep press on Fridays.

Yesterday resulted in a couple of "personal bests". Not all time bests, but certainly the heaviest since I moved back to Saskatchewan over a year ago and my training went to hell... power clean + jerk 225. (clarked 230 a couple times, squat clean it no problem but couldn't get it high enough for power yesterday) and front squat 265. I'm not sure if that's an all time front squat PR or not, for some reason I think I have done 270 or 275 before. Will need to look at my old logs.

Today is a rest day and I'm going to a Santana concert with my dad.

Good work--enjoy the show!

That's a really excellent exercise. This was part of my workout many years ago, but at some point shifted to pushdowns. I'll give it a try. How often a week do you do it? Right now, I'm doing straight bar curls and tricep press on Fridays.

Twice a week I do 3x5 on it. I started out doing 3x10 but it left me too sore and I was worried it'd interfere with my main lifts. I go overhead every workout (4x/week) with either presses, push presses, jerks, rack jerks, and just recently I added in some BTN Snatch presses.

Good work--enjoy the show!

Thanks I'm sure I will!

Went to the gym. Did 20 minutes on the stationary bike for a warmup, then bench press, leg exercises, dumb bell curls, shoulder/back machine and the pushups. About one hour in total.

Top Bottom