What's new

What do y’all think about this power rack?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have to clear out a lot of space to fit it where I want to put it but I think it’s doable. I’ll get the weights from a local sporting store. From what I understand Rep Fitness is a decent brand. But this rack should offer full body workout options. Plus weight storage which is important with limited space.

IMG_0735.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Looks like it gives you quite a few options.

One thing worth noting. It looks like the whole thing is reliant on free weight plates. On a machine like that, when doing exercises for the back, and some others you need a fair bit of weight, and plates are EXPENSIVE. Just something to consider when working out your budget.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I haven’t looked at free weight prices yet. I figure a 250-350lb set should be enough for starters. Or for quite awhile thereafter.

IMHO, the best system is a simple power rack without all the attachments. Just a set of crossbars and two pairs of bar holders. The amount of space that thing will take up is huge, ,allowing for a person to move around it, etc.

You can have a separate dedicated machine for doing dips and pull-ups somewhere else in the same room or a nearby room.

Interesting, the Rep website lists that model as being only rated for 700 lbs. Which sounds about right being 14 gauge steel.

I am not impressed by the stock safeties. I'd be upgrading to the flip- down ones that they sell on the website.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think you are right. The half rack makes a bit more sense for my space and needs. Roughly half the price of what I posted above. Still has the weight storage I wanted, I just add the bench and a few accessories, weights and done. Almost half the space it takes up too.

IMG_0737.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ha! NM. Once you actually start building it they make you select a color for the rack which adds 450 bucks! Stupid. $1800 built out. But it would still fit better in my space.

Legion

Staff member
I'd have a look at what might be around you second hand.

When covid shut down all the gyms a lot of people with deep pocket built themselves home gyms. Since all the commercial gyms opened back up a lot of the home ones are not getting used and just taking up space. Might be a good time to get a deal.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have a similar full rack as you're looking at and love it. If you have the space and money, it will serve you well for years to come.
The lat pull down attachment is the same sort of set up as mine is too. It's a lat pull down and low row in one.
So glad I got that attachment.

I went full noise on my second set of weights and got a set of calibrated steel weights. I got them from a local gym who had them made for themself and imported a container load. Way cheaper than Eleiko plates but effectively the same.
I'm not suggesting you do the same, just look around. There may be more for less money.
It was cheaper to buy as a set then by the plate. The bar was not cheap, so could be worth looking at a weight plates and bar as a set.
Get an Olympic bar / plates not a standard bar, given the weights you are thinking of as the standard has a low max load weight. Strange how they call it standard, yet it's far from the standard.

Secondhand weights could be worth a look at. Ugly old weights are the same as shiny new weights, when you're lifting them.
25kg is 25kg old or new.

1707546208587.jpeg

Plates got stupid expensive in 2020 and they haven't really come back down. I got a hodgepodge from FB marketplace and then ordered a couple more pairs of 45s from the Strength Co. They're not cheap either but they are very good and made in USA if that's important to you. The ecoat finish is damn near bulletproof.

I think you are right. The half rack makes a bit more sense for my space and needs. Roughly half the price of what I posted above. Still has the weight storage I wanted, I just add the bench and a few accessories, weights and done. Almost half the space it takes up too.

The space issue can be very important. Think twice about whether storing plates on the rack is what you really want to do. Looks nice in pictures, but in practice it just gets in the way. Places can be stored on the floor. If you want something neater, a simple one layer plate tray can be made from lumber.

I'm going to amend my post about the barstock safeties on the original rack you posted. They might be fine. I saw a video of a guy doing heavy rack pulls in what I think was a Rep rack with those kind of safeties and they seemed ok.

There's nothing wrong with that safety design but I've seen cheap ones that wouldn't survive repeatedly dropping 500lb rack pulls on them, let alone a catastrophic wreck.

Top Bottom