What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

Same here! =) Great deal btw, blades are top quality!

So far I love them. I had not tried them until I received two a seller included with a razor I won on eBay. They are so smooth but still really sharp. So far it’s a perfect blade for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many reasons folks here have made 100 blade purchases, and I would like to know why they have made their most recent 100 blade purchase, or purchases.

My last purchase was for Personna Blues. It was my first 100 blade purchase, and is my most recent one. Because, I needed a refill, and also because of their possible plant closures. Lovely sharp, and smooth blade, that works well in about every razor I have.

The one before that was Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow. Just because they are so darn good. Very sharp, and very smooth. So good that it would be a shame not to have more.
My latest buy is 100 of Gillette Winner blades.Not here yet and I'm hoping for the best!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Derby because I bought a shavette that requires broken blades rather the ones precut for shavettes. Derbys work well for me in a shavette.

My local market in Phnom Penh now carries BIC and Treet Platinum both at $9/100 so I'm bringing back the BICs (internet price on the Treets being not much different), BIC being my go-to blade in my milder razors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

200 Wilkinson Sword German
Why? Because they are probably the best blade for me paired with Rockwell 6S. And I'm running out of them.

I had to reach the minimum amount for free delivery and got 100 Derby extra, I was just impressed how smooth they are using the 5 packs that got as a gift in my last order.

I had to reach the minimum amount for free delivery and got 100 Derby extra, I was just impressed how smooth they are using the 5 packs that got as a gift in my last order.

Ha! I did the same thing for the same reason about a half hour ago on Amazon.

41E8cCjHUKL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Except I went with the Derby Premium to get me over the top.

My other blade purchases in that order...

41uBi5bWwML._AC_SY400_.jpg

I bought 100 of these some time ago and I didn't realize they are Israeli-made. While researching them I discovered that Israeli Personna "red" packaging was for the European market. Oh, and I drastically overpaid for my 1st batch of these, which I bought retail, locally. Today's price was much more sensible and I consider these a premium quality blade.

514AamF6VnL._AC_SY400_.jpg

And I got 100 of these. Why? Because America, baby. America. I only recently learned that early 20th Century shaving technology was still being produced in our own Appalachia. America still produces DE blades!? How? On God's green Earth, WHY?

But we do. And I have to support that. And as long as it isn't Voshkod-level awful, I will continue to support it, and American jobs.

I am waiting on delivery of 100 Shark Platinum blades. I have never tried them. I cannot use the Shark Super Chrome blades as they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard.

The blades are pretty new, so there are not a lot of reviews out there. I am hoping the new Platinum blades with be significantly sharper. If they are not, I will PIF them as I have other blades that do not work for me.

Ha! I did the same thing for the same reason about a half hour ago on Amazon.

View attachment 1007021
Except I went with the Derby Premium to get me over the top.

My other blade purchases in that order...

View attachment 1007022

I bought 100 of these some time ago and I didn't realize they are Israeli-made. While researching them I discovered that Israeli Personna "red" packaging was for the European market. Oh, and I drastically overpaid for my 1st batch of these, which I bought retail, locally. Today's price was much more sensible and I consider these a premium quality blade.

View attachment 1007025

And I got 100 of these. Why? Because America, baby. America. I only recently learned that early 20th Century shaving technology was still being produced in our own Appalachia. America still produces DE blades!? How? On God's green Earth, WHY?

But we do. And I have to support that. And as long as it isn't Voshkod-level awful, I will continue to support it, and American jobs.

Great purchase Ashley ! Smart decision. The "blue package" Israeli Red Personna has been one of my favorite
blades for the past three years, always allowing me to enjoy a smooth comfortable shave. Please let me know
how the "American" Personna compares to the "Israeli" Personna, specifically in terms of sharpness, smoothness,
and durability. Happy Shaving Sir !

100 Nacets arrived yesterday. I just put a Gillette Silver Blue in the razor this morning and I'll use it for a few more shaves before I crack open the Nacets.

Great purchase Ashley ! Smart decision. The "blue package" Israeli Red Personna has been one of my favorite
blades for the past three years, always allowing me to enjoy a smooth comfortable shave. Please let me know
how the "American" Personna compares to the "Israeli" Personna, specifically in terms of sharpness, smoothness,
and durability. Happy Shaving Sir !

It is the American Personna's I most anticipate. I am already familiar with the blues. The Derby Premiums will likely be a solid, workhorse razor.

Check the fine print on that box before you open it. The last time I saw a discussion about the blades in that specific packaging it turned out they were made in Israel too. I think it's possible given the platinum chrome description and lettering style on the blades. They look exactly like the reds.

There are vendors out there who still have US blades in 100s. They're easy to recognize because the Personna logo printed on the blade has skinny smudged letters.

I am waiting on delivery of 100 Shark Platinum blades. I have never tried them. I cannot use the Shark Super Chrome blades as they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard.

The blades are pretty new, so there are not a lot of reviews out there. I am hoping the new Platinum blades with be significantly sharper. If they are not, I will PIF them as I have other blades that do not work for me.

I put a longer review as a post to another thread about the Shark Platinum blades, so I won't go into detail here. However, based on my first shave with these blades, it looks like they will be keepers. They are very smooth and very sharp. It will take a few more shaves and comparisons to other blades before I reach my final conclusion on them.

Check the fine print on that box before you open it. The last time I saw a discussion about the blades in that specific packaging it turned out they were made in Israel too. I think it's possible given the platinum chrome description and lettering style on the blades. They look exactly like the reds.

There are vendors out there who still have US blades in 100s. They're easy to recognize because the Personna logo printed on the blade has skinny smudged letters.

If so, I will be only mildly disappointed. It'll just mean I got 100 more good blades for cheaper still, without them being packaged in tucks.

But where does one go for honest-to-goodness American Personnas?

If so, I will be only mildly disappointed. It'll just mean I got 100 more good blades for cheaper still, without them being packaged in tucks.

Ebay seems to be the most likely option, there are several vendors that picture the US blades. Otherwise I'd try razor blades club; they list the Personna Lab Blue at 19.95/100 and that is very definitely what you want.

Unless you can find a stash of vintage blades, there are no American Personnas.

As far as I am aware, the only razor blades currently produced in the USA are made by AccuTec Blades in Verona, VA. This company was formerly the Personna Industrial Division, but is no longer owned by EdgeWell. It still produces Personna blades for industrial, laboratory, hospital and medical use. Shaving forum members recognize these blades as Personna Lab Blue Comfort Coated and Personna Med Preps. Some have said that these two blades are essentially the same blades with the Med Preps going through a more extensive cleaning/sterilization. I have not used Med Preps, so I cannot confirm one way or the other.

From what I have read, the Personna facility in Bethlehem, Israel produces only two blades Crystals and Personna Platinum. Some of the Personna Platinums come in red packaging and are often called Israeli Reds. Some are packaged in blue packaging and are sometimes called Israeli Blues. Those who have used all three blades say there is a difference between Crystals and Personna Platinums, but there is no difference between the Platinum blades in the red and blue packages. There are a number of unlabeled blades that are packaged for various private brands. As far as I can tell, they are Israeli Platinum as well.

Top Bottom