What's new

What's your favorite step of wet shaving and why?

I can get to my train station for work about ten minutes after finishing my shave. I have a rule that I can't touch my face until I'm on the train platform. My favorite part of the shave is standing on the platform, analyzing my early morning work. It seems weird that I don't see other guys on the platform rubbing their faces with their hands...

For me, building the lather.
I am new and I'm still working on my technique so it's the longest part of my routine as well as the most difficult. Call me a sucker but I find the challenge and learning of new soaps/creams interesting.
Then there's the application...mmmm... can't beat a great lather in my opinion!

For me it's the shave itself, because.....
When I used a Gillette M3 Power:

Pre-shave was never a problem, either lathering with a cheap boar brush and a years old Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Bowl for a proper 2 pass shave, or just pulling the plug out of the bath, splashing bathwater on my face and having a quick one pass once over, swilling the razor in the bath and shaving blind

Assembling the gear is my 2nd favourite now that I've got a choice, because when I used the M3, my entire kit consisted of the same Boar Brush, Sandalwood Bowl, M3 Power Razor - and that was my lot !!

Building the lather is fun now, before I just used to face lather

Post shave just used to be rinsing my face with clean, cold water - now I enjoy the feel of the alum block and the scent and soothing sensation of the aftershave

The shave itself is top of the list for me now because I've got a choice of which razor and blade I use, each combo is different every time, but most of all I used to hate shaving with the M3, it was just a tedious chore at worst, and a relief at best - now I look forward to shaving and enjoy it

Cool thread idea. For me, it's the first stroke- right sideburn and down.
Me too - same starting point and direction.

Also:

• Selecting what razor/blade/soap/brush/bowl to use
  • Building the lather in a bowl
  • The period from 30 seconds to an hour after hitting my face with a alcohol AS (Mennen Skin Bracer, Old Spice Classic, or Brut)

I use only one razor and one brand of blade and canned foam and since I shave in 5 minutes flat (from start to finish) I don't really have "steps" :001_smile but I guess that splashing on the AS is my favorite step .

The act of shaving in and of itself. Love it. Actually, my least favorite part of the routine is prep, which is probably why I eventually gave up using a brush and started using a brushless cream.

Im not sure about my favorite,
but my LEAST favorite step is cleaning up the bathroom afterwards.
Many days I just skip that part.
That's why you never see pics of my shave den.

Interesting question, derekstanggt. I've never thought about it like that.

Each morning, I enjoy selecting from the many variations I have in soaps/creams, the 2 or 3 razors that currently have blades loaded, which brush I feel like using today. The aftershave choice usually doesn't come until after - which one today? It's fun to pull it all together in a unique way each day.

But to the OP's question: My favorite part of the shave is strokes 1 and 2 of pass 2 -- the long Gillette slide from ear to chin under my jaw line. I get more accomplished in those 2 strokes than anywhere else. The feel of those strokes confirms the quality of my lather, the characteristics of my razor choice, and the smoothness/efficiency of my blade when match with the razor.

Mine is post-shave!
Why? The calming effect of my Witch Hazel, cooling sting of my splash, and the soothing moisturizing feeling of my balm reminds me I have the pleasure of enjoying shaving. No more dealing with razor burn, ingrown hairs, irritation, etc.. that gunk in a can and multi blade cartridge razors cause.

this is my favorite; however, maybe i should spend more time on the journey rather than the destination.

there's always a plan B.

I concur, and while I enjoy every moment of the art of wetshaving, for some reason I seem to enjoy a bit of a sting while patting some AS on just a tiny bit more. For me, it's the reward for a job well done!

I would have to say my favorite step would be applying the aftershave . Reason would be I love the burn and refreshing feel once the burn wares off .

Top Bottom