What's new

What's your favorite step of wet shaving and why?

We all have our steps and rituals, what's your favorite?

-Pre-shave prep (warm towel, lotions/oils)
-Assembling the gear (selecting the cream/soap, picking a razor & blade, brush, pulling out a fresh towel)
-Building the lather (preping the scuttle/bowl, applying the product, and working that brush)
-The shave (actually scraping your face)
-Post-shave (Witch Hazel, alums, balms, splashes, the burn!)
-Other

For me, it's probably the post shave. I love the feeling of splashing on a scented aftershave. I love the burn and tingle that comes from alcoholic splashes, and the cold rush that comes from mentholated ones. Osage Rub is probably my favorite AS splash because of the cold. A close second would be building the later. I love the scents, and love whipping up a thick lather.

Let's hear yours!

I'll second post shave. I enjoy a nice burn associated with the alcohol based splashes. In colder months I enjoy a soothing balm a few times a week.

Choosing which of 9 brushes and 20 soaps (assembling the gear) is my favorite step. It takes the most effort and gets me in a shaving mindset. Prep is always a quick face wash with Grandpa's Pine Tar soap and the razor is always a 34G with an Astra SP 90% of the time. I've had most of my brushes, soaps, razor and blades for some time, so face-lathering and the shave has become routine. Post shave is always Dickinson's witch hazel, usually followed by one of my bay rum aftershaves.

Actually I enjoy it all, It's "me time". Kinda like my wife enjoys her bubble bath. A nice hot shower, soothing the aches in these old bones, Picking my gear, Hot wet washcloth face soak, lathering up, the shave, touch up, the cold washcloth rinse, a splash of home made aftershave. A hug and back scratch from the wife.

Denis

Definitely the post shave beats out the other aspects of the shave for me. The pride and satisfaction of completing a task done well stems from splashing something on and feeling the bbs.

The conclusion of the third pass, when I can feel there's nothing at all left to shave off. A close second is the post shave application of Clubman or Pashana.

Actually I enjoy it all, It's "me time". Kinda like my wife enjoys her bubble bath. A nice hot shower, soothing the aches in these old bones, Picking my gear, Hot wet washcloth face soak, lathering up, the shave, touch up, the cold washcloth rinse, a splash of home made aftershave. A hug and back scratch from the wife.

Denis
Now you're talking. But hopefully not while shaving! Haha

Building the lather. The warm bowl, the wafting up of the aroma (I'm talking about you, MdC Rose), the alchemy of the mounting pile of lather. All very restful before the by necessity more careful face scraping.

I enjoy lathering up, lavender is my favorite scent. I also enjoy the aftershave.

A big thank you to Tallships for sharing his recipe. Can't wait to mix some up myself!

Fas est et ab hoste docari

I like making the lather and the post shave feel best, although the entire experience is quite nice.

Edit: I forgot the why. I enjoy the lather due to the scents of different soaps and the post shave feel because of the obvious ... it feels good.

Sent via mobile - Chris

I like the whole thing, soup to nuts, but most of all, I enjoy the face lathering. There's something deeply satisfying about building the lather, working it to the right consistency, feeling the brush against the skin as you work the lather over the whiskers. It's an indulgence, I luxuriate in it, and I know that if I've done it well, that first stroke with the razor should be little more than just wiping the whiskers off my face.

especially enjoy preshave prep face lather with glycerin soap

$shaving shop la habanne shavemac gillette slim musgo glyce alt innsbruck october 18 2016.jpg

The actual shave is my favorite. The first pass to be exact as I love the feel of the razor on my face. Not a big aftershave smell guy but I can see how that would be rewarding.

The final warm water rinse when I get to judge how good of a job I did. It's very satisfying to feel a perfectly smooth face and neck in all directions.

We all have our steps and rituals, what's your favorite?

-Pre-shave prep (warm towel, lotions/oils)
-Assembling the gear (selecting the cream/soap, picking a razor & blade, brush, pulling out a fresh towel)
-Building the lather (preping the scuttle/bowl, applying the product, and working that brush)
-The shave (actually scraping your face)
-Post-shave (Witch Hazel, alums, balms, splashes, the burn!)
-Other

For me, it's probably the post shave. I love the feeling of splashing on a scented aftershave. I love the burn and tingle that comes from alcoholic splashes, and the cold rush that comes from mentholated ones. Osage Rub is probably my favorite AS splash because of the cold. A close second would be building the later. I love the scents, and love whipping up a thick lather.

Let's hear yours!

I have favorite parts for different reasons.
Assembling gear - choosing from an assortment of gear, some vintage, some new, some heirloom. I do this before prep.
Pre shave / prep
- waking up or winding down, maybe just relaxing on a day off
Lathering - "Least favorite". Sounds odd, and it's in quotes for a reason: I still thoroughly enjoy it!
The Shave - From my mildest DE to straights, this is the meat of the experience to my mind
Post Shave - The feeling of a really good shave is what got me hooked, and is still the culmination of the experience as a whole, so this is probably my favorite part of it.

Top Bottom