What's new

What's your favorite piece of classical music?

Not to nitpick, but there is a lot of Baroque being listed here as Classical. :)

Handel, Vivaldi & Pachelbel for instance. All were of the Baroque period. There are instrumental differences between the two eras. Classical was entirely more formal and strict in its structure. Baroque was complex with multiple melodies played at once by various instruments (not typical of Classical) and there were far more common chord structures that were maintained throughout the entire pieces (Canon in D Major for example)

Just lending a hand to point out the differences... Not trying to be a jerk.

I just hope that, in 200 years from now, David Bowie and Limp Bizkit aren't lumped into the same pile of favorite Rock Period Pieces. Both Rock? I suppose so. Both on the same level? No. David Bowie never did anything "All for the Nookie". Entirely different eras.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not to nitpick, but there is a lot of Baroque being listed here as Classical. :)

I think everyone else managed to see that the term was being used in the broader sense, rather than the strict "that few decades between baroque and early romantic" definition.

:wink2:

I think everyone else managed to see that the term was being used in the broader sense, rather than the strict "that few decades between baroque and early romantic" definition.

:wink2:

You saying "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and "Honky Tonk Badankadonk" are on the same page of the Country Music hymnal, @Doc4 because of a couple decades? :001_tt2:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am enjoying all of it. Maybe we can note which is what- for educational purposes.

I am enjoying all of it. Maybe we can note which is what- for educational purposes.

That's all I was getting at. I understand the common confusion of violins and oboes being coined as Classical. It's just nice to know the difference. And quite frankly, I'm happy I do know it. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, as I've already clarified. Just trying to point out there is a distinct difference between the two. Meant no offence. None whatsoever.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You saying "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and "Honky Tonk Badankadonk" are on the same page of the Country Music hymnal, @Doc4 because of a couple decades? :001_tt2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pachelbel Canon in D Minor, Holst Mars God of War, Wagner Flight of the Valkyries and Bach Jesu Joy on the glass harp would be my favourites.

Almost anything by J. S. Bach -- I love the music of the baroque era. A more recently written favorite is The Moldau by Smetana:

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wasn't aware that there were Baroque and Romantic periods in music, too. That will lead to more learning on my part. I can usually identity paintings.

It's really fun to know and learn [MENTION=36529]oc_in_fw[/MENTION] It's a small world with a big history and that history shouldn't be lost by semantics. :)

After reading this I decided to listen to Vivaldi Four Seasons, Prokofiev Love for Three Oranges and Orff O Frotuna. Been awhile since I've taken the time to listen to these.

Top Bottom