What's new

What's your favorite piece of "auxiliary" equipment?

These:

Attachments

• 935399DD-F139-410A-BA45-613B55E8F573.jpeg
    935399DD-F139-410A-BA45-613B55E8F573.jpeg
    875 KB · Views: 5
I have begun using travel size plastic bottles for my prep soap, witch hazel, and A/S. First, they are unbreakable, and secondly, they don't take up much space. Due to arthritis in my hands, I have a tendency to drop things, therefore I do no longer keeping any glass containers, or ceramic products in / or in my MBR sink. I am also retiring both my Q-shave Scuttle and Fine Stoneware bowl (watch for a PIF in November).

I've recently started using these small microfiber towels they sell at Costco for my razor ceaning and drying after each shave, patting the rinsed blade dry, and finishing the drying of the squeegeed vanity counter and faucet. I'd been using cotton washcloths but these microfiber towels to a better job, especially on keeping the razors in 100% condition (considering their age). It was Chris Spencer of Back Roads Gold who got me doing this with his warranty info card he sends out with his replated razors. The mf towels are far less abrasive than old washcloths. I'm a fairly neat guy (in more ways than one but I digress) and while much of my actual shaving is neat, the sink basin is small and the counter too low for my height so the various rinsing stages get water all over the vanity top. Everything is removed from the vanity when I shave save for the razor, brush, bowl and soap/cream product. The aftershave products are in the three door medicine cabinet about the vanity. The little microfiber towels (which we use primarily as dusting rags) were a revelation.

One of the unsung heroes that has become a staple of my shaves is having an Amazon echo puck by the sink, so I don't have to fiddle with my phone or other devices, I just ask alexa to play the news of the day, tell me the forecast, or just play some music while I shave.

Also, scented candles, that was my wife’s doing, I am not big on scented soaps so the candles or diffuser add to almost an “spa” experience!

I just received my birthday present tonight (shipping arrived two days late) but I believe this will be a favorite. Particularly special is that it was all hand made for me. I had a choice of a finger loop or brush groove and also bumps or ridges in the lather bowl. The matching brush is a 26mm High Mountain Silvertip. I’m looking forward to using it for the first time tomorrow.
B3E6FFDB-C44C-4675-928A-BD6F66165A55.jpeg
605FF862-866B-4F9C-ACBF-B749618A9418.jpeg
F6030C20-4EE5-4E3F-9B57-049F37927206.jpeg
D9346DCD-F64B-468D-84A1-55D050A44816.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You can't do this with brushes
Not sure why you mentioned this but could you elaborate because I have been doing this for years now with no issues of yet.
My brushes seldom lose a natural animal hair and it is usually with a silver tip brush(Silvertip hair comes from the front of the badger) because they are so many and they are very thin compared to other part of the badger hair.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not sure why you mentioned this but could you elaborate because I have been doing this for years now with no issues of yet.
My brushes seldom lose a natural animal hair and it is usually with a silver tip brush(Silvertip hair comes from the front of the badger) because they are so many and they are very thin compared to other part of the badger hair.
I had to look at what I typed to see where I didn't communicate clearly.. I dry my towels and wash cloths in the clothes dryer... I meant to communicate... you can't throw your shaving brushes in the dryer.

Sorry for not being clear.. it was a bit of a run-on sentence. My bad.

Ergonomics- Having it handy- $20 walnut shelf my wife found at an antique store. Added hooks to hang razors and mounted to wall with a French cleat. Spray painted a test tube rack to use as a razor stand. A $20 Amazon 3 rod towel holder for a handy place to hang and dry a hand towel is my favorite ONE THING. This and a $12 matching wood tray for aftershaves and soaps was liberally coated with polyurethane to protect from moisture. $80-$90 total and looks good to me on display as my bath cabinets were full prior to wet shaving. A fraction of the cost of all the hand made items on Etsy. That’s more a theme than one item, but having it all in reach makes everything easier to use and put away, and I think it’s cools to see razors from 4 generations of family hanging there. (And yea, I’ve added a few)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I just received my birthday present tonight (shipping arrived two days late) but I believe this will be a favorite. Particularly special is that it was all hand made for me. I had a choice of a finger loop or brush groove and also bumps or ridges in the lather bowl. The matching brush is a 26mm High Mountain Silvertip. I’m looking forward to using it for the first time tomorrow.View attachment 1549467View attachment 1549468View attachment 1549469View attachment 1549470

I have a similar bowl I got at a little shop here in Denver! I use it a lot

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
It is an air blower, originally a cleaning device for cameras and electronics.

I use it to drive away the residual water droplets after washing the razor to speed up drying and reduce water spots; in addition to the handle thread of DE razor, it is also especially suitable for the internal crevices of shavette or straight razors that cannot be wiped with a towel.

After using it did I realize how much water was hiding in razor.
IMG_20230104_232119.jpg

Top Bottom