What's new

What's your favorite piece of "auxiliary" equipment?

This bowl, I absolutely love this bowl.

2CBAB0E0-6481-4E28-A6F4-8811E8100FE1.jpeg
17E967B1-1266-4274-AFBE-F7DC1D71D9CF.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use these small reusable towels that I use to wipe up splashed water moisture when shaving on the countertop and in the spring, summer & fall I like to use this fan for drying out my towels for 15min so not to get mildew odors (I hate that smell). Then realized might as well dry my brush(BOTD) also if the fan is running. Winter months we have forced heat and the towels dry quickly & no need for fan use.
It might be a little over board but I do not have mildew odours in these towels anymore or my BOTD.
(Old archived photo I took for another B&B thread similar to this one!)
View attachment 1521689
Have some great shaves!
You can't do this with brushes, obviously but rather than hang my towels in the bathroom to dry (I end up using a bath towel for my shower, two hand towels, one for my face and one for the vanity top, and a wash cloth), I just throw them in the dryer in between shaves. I'll do that for a week or so, then wash them with the sheets or other towels. No mildew... even with AC here in Florida, towels can mildew easily.

I use these small reusable towels that I use to wipe up splashed water moisture when shaving on the countertop and in the spring, summer & fall I like to use this fan for drying out my towels for 15min so not to get mildew odors (I hate that smell). Then realized might as well dry my brush(BOTD) also if the fan is running. Winter months we have forced heat and the towels dry quickly & no need for fan use.
It might be a little over board but I do not have mildew odours in these towels anymore or my BOTD.
View attachment 1521689
Have some great shaves!
I use a squeegee to manage the countertop. No sour smells (I hate those too).

You do not see many shave bowls like that, that would would be perfect with the low sides. It would be hard to manufacture also I would think unless it done in die cast. Your bowl looks hand done or one of a kind & well done IMO.
Hand made, each unique while keeping to overall design, Etsy shop, 3 month turnaround from time of order.

Sponge, on the edge of the sink. I place my razor on it if I don’t want to put it back in the brush soaking cup while lathering. Our sink is narrow and I’ve had a couple of razors fall on the floor. Damaged a TTO, which I managed to pry back into shape.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sponge, on the edge of the sink. I place my razor on it if I don’t want to put it back in the brush soaking cup while lathering. Our sink is narrow and I’ve had a couple of razors fall on the floor. Damaged a TTO, which I managed to pry back into shape.
We're fortunate in that regard. We have a two sink vanity that has ample space in the middle for me to put a hand towel down, folded in half. I use a separate hand towel to dry my face when I've finished shaving and done my alum application and rinse. The hand towels are then used to clean up any splatters on the mirror and dry off the vanity top and sink (oh... and towel dry my shaving brush after a thorough cleaning). Rinse out the wash cloth well... throw it all in the dryer. It's almost like I was never in there. <Eg> evil grin.

You do not see many shave bowls like that, that would would be perfect with the low sides. It would be hard to manufacture also I would think unless it done in die cast. Your bowl looks hand done or one of a kind & well done IMO.
I'd guess that's a bowl from Symmetrical Pottery, from the looks of it. I've got my eye on one of their bowls as well, but they go for about $80 (give or take) with shipping.

Just don't drop those ceramic bowls! While I haven't dropped one yet, I switched to a copper bowl because I decided dropping my ceramic (a large latte mug) was a matter of when. I'm barefooted (and bodied) while shaving most of the time and we have tile floors. Disaster waiting to happen with a ceramic bowl or mug IMO. At least the designs with a loop for a thumb or finger (coffee cup style) give you a fighting chance.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just don't drop those ceramic bowls! While I haven't dropped one yet, I switched to a copper bowl because I decided dropping my ceramic (a large latte mug) was a matter of when. I'm barefooted (and bodied) while shaving most of the time and we have tile floors. Disaster waiting to happen with a ceramic bowl or mug IMO. At least the designs with a loop for a thumb or finger (coffee cup style) give you a fighting chance.
I have two CC aquamarine shaving bowls but I've never made lather in either...my wife re-appropriated the first one to go in the newly designed TV room (ok... that might be a slight exaggeration. We bought two new chairs and ottomans, a new accent table where the CC bowl sits and two new end tables for our sofa). I use the other one for my car keys. It's sitting on a Boos butcher block in our dining room.

I love my little Stef Baxter lipped shaving bowl, but as you suggest, they can break. I had mine packed safely in my carry-on suitcase but we did a three day close-by island trip and we shared just the one suitcase. My wife was unpacking the suitcase... and unrolled the cargo pants in which the shaving bowl was carefully protected. It did not survive its first flying lesson.

Edit: I ordered a replacement and also a Timeless plastic one for traveling next time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It may not seem like much but one of the better things I started using was a piece of sponge. I use it to wipe the lather off my SR while shaving. The main benefit is that it allows me to see the whiskers that have been cut, well at least the darker coloured ones. Using a sponge also gives better protection from damaging the edge on the faucet if rinsing.

IMG_20220915_100711.jpg

View attachment 1521689
Have some great shaves!
I don't believe that is a true fan brush!

I
It may not seem like much but one of the better things I started using was a piece of sponge. I use it to wipe the lather off my SR while shaving. The main benefit is that it allows me to see the whiskers that have been cut, well at least the darker coloured ones. Using a sponge also gives better protection from damaging the edge on the faucet if rinsing.

do this too - my sponges often get nicked during the kids bath times so i have different versions at varying times. wiping also saves water for me

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Not homemade but I have my eye on this: Reusable DE Razor Blade Bank & Storage Box - Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/listing/1309299720/reusable-de-razor-blade-bank-storage-box?click_key=30dfeaddc0f996a619c239fea67740c21ab09040%3A1309299720&click_sum=b02bb922&ref=shop_home_recs_1

Sorry for the long link. I ordered 4 of his tuck organizers because at the moment, I have a shoe box full of sleeves, individual tucks, etc. and it will be nice to have them organized better. After they arrive, I might find I need a couple more and if I do, I'll probably get one of his combo blade holder and re-usable blade banks.

Top Bottom