What's new

What's your favorite piece of "auxiliary" equipment?

tempImageLpfb8X.jpg

I bet we all have things in our shave process that are sort of like "unsung heroes" or just quirky things that we enjoy using, which are not obviously as essential as soap, razor, blade, or brush. This cheap spray bottle has become a real (and unexpected) favorite as a part of my daily shaves. I even take it with me when traveling if possible, I enjoy using it so much. Here's the two things it's great for:

A year ago, I started using it during bowl lathering, to add a consistent amount of water with each spray in an even pattern over the whole surface area of the soap being worked on. Doing this with my right hand means I can keep swirling away to my heart's content with my left, building a predictable, consistent lather every time.

Then, a couple months ago, I also started spraying my face after lathering up, in order to add more hydration without having my brush handle running with lather in between passes. Since I love a cooooold shave, this also added some extra chill to the experience. I love it! (We'll see about winter, though...)

I know I'll probably start getting PM'd offers to buy this sweet piece of equipment, but let me nip that in the bud and say that this lime green beauty is all mine! Go get your own!

Is there something in your den that would seem a bit "extra" but actually plays a big role in your process or enjoyment?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like my misting spray bottle as well. I even brought it with me to Bali. <eg>

I'd also have to include the little spoon that's in all my SOTD photographs. It has a little, carved wooden bird at the end. It's been my grapefruit spoon for decades... now repurposed. ;)

I also have very nice bamboo, plush towels, hand towels and wash cloths I use for shaving. I hmmm appropriated those from my wife's stash.

I've repurposed a small rechargeable fan that's meant to be attached to a stroller. So nice to have air blowing on you while shaving after a shower.
I like everything about the shave to be cooling if possible. I hadn't considered a fan!

Bowl, and I face lather
With doap, I load brush directly
But with cream, i put a cream in bowl, add a bit of water, wait for the bloom, and smear brush in it, just to get even spread on the brush, and then start face lathering
Bowl os the coconut bowl I when I was at the Maldives

My favorite would have to be my razor/brush stand. Where my razors, brushes, soaps and creams, and bowls get a lot of love, my stand just stands there being all standy, doing it's job without any fuss or complaints!!

View attachment 1515803
I have one of these and use it now, mostly to hold whatever brush is drying after the shave. I used to hang a razor on it as well but I tend to wash and dry my razors after each use and end up as often as not using a different razor the next day so, it's mostly a brush drying stand. A smart person would only own one razor and maybe a spare brush but I'm an idiot so...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I use these small reusable towels that I use to wipe up splashed water moisture when shaving on the countertop and in the spring, summer & fall I like to use this fan for drying out my towels for 15min so not to get mildew odors (I hate that smell). Then realized might as well dry my brush(BOTD) also if the fan is running. Winter months we have forced heat and the towels dry quickly & no need for fan use.
It might be a little over board but I do not have mildew odours in these towels anymore or my BOTD.
(Old archived photo I took for another B&B thread similar to this one!)
Fan drying shave gear..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom