580 PermaSharp Super
100 Feather
100 Shark SS
120 Astra SP
100 Gem coated SE blades
100 Personna Lab
90 Personna Platinum
50 Gillette Yellow
about 100 assorted others (Derby, Rapira, Zorrik, various Gillettes, ...)

and finally

2 Super Iridiums I'll get around to trying out soon

100 Personna Lab Blue
30 Feather
5 Gillete 7 O'clock blue
7 Gillete 7 O'clock black
10 Personna Red

I plan on ordering some Astras after new years.

proxy.php

1000 x Shark
1070 x Feather
1200 x Gillette
370 x Sharp
70 x Gillette Bleue Extra
100 x Wilkinson
400 x Derby
100 x 7 am (green)

Non DE:

260 x Feather Professional PB 20

Just getting started with 320 blades:

100 Bluebirds
120 Gillette 7O'Clock yellows
50 Feathers
50 various (trial pack)

200 Perms + 200 enroute
170 Polys
100 SI
140 Crystals
80 Med Preps
99 Derby
30 Feathers
100 Asst waiting for a few PIFs

i dont know if this thread been here before, whats your blade count and what brand, how much do you keep in stock, and which blade do you want to buy or waiting to be delivered.

Looking thru the messages posted here, its not unusual to find members with several hundred (thousand) blades in stock. I'm more curious as to why members have so many in stock? Is it to hedge against price increases or potential unavailability of a particular brand?

I'm not saying that maintaining large stocks of blades is bad. I, too, have about 100 Derby's from an original purchase of 200. Working that down while I move to Feather as my "go to" blade - have about 100 of those around. In both cases, I bought because I found a particular deal where the price per blade was so low only if I purchase in lots of 100 or more. Never could have done that with Carts. Even so, at an average of about 3 days use per blade, I have at least 3 years + worth of blades sitting in my den.

Looking thru the messages posted here, its not unusual to find members with several hundred (thousand) blades in stock. I'm more curious as to why members have so many in stock? Is it to hedge against price increases or potential unavailability of a particular brand?
Bragging rights.

All kidding aside, if I find a blade that works well I'm going to stock up, as they might without notice become discontinued.

At my age I hope to live long enough to use them all. :lol: But really I have caught some sales, not sure on overseas dealer's future prices and inventory, and seeing what has happened to SI, I am stocking up on questionable blades I really like.

About 21 years / 1200 blades (give or take) counting DEs. Then throw in about 150 GEM-type blades and 80-ish injectors all at a blade a week.... well, you get the idea.

You mentioned the cheaper unit price when buying 100. That's normal, probably even universal. After years of urinating money on cartridges, it feels like nothing to spend $20 on 100 blades (some are more, many are less). When you get a sense that you really want to try a blade, might as well get 100. They take up negligible room, don't corrode, and you can trade them later. It's nice to have variety and the knowledge that the variety will last a LONG time.

The surprise for me is that so many respondents to this thread have less than 100 blades in total.

That said, now that I've amassed 1000 (in about six months), my blade collecting days are over. Between longer-lasting SE and everlasting straights, my demand for DE blades has diminished such that 1000 should last me 20 years, maybe 40. It will only be rare, special purchases from now on.

And to address your question directly, I bought 500 PSS specifically to guard against potential unavailability. The rest were for variety and a sense of fun in collecting them -- collecting something that will be used, not for collecting's sake. Buying a variety of razor blades taps into a variety of unusual (from my perspective) cultures around the world, if only in a small way.

Some B&B members are happy to use whatever blades they can buy locally, perhaps more members than I thought. For the rest of us, it's amazing to reflect that our "traditional" hobby depends both on third world economics (manufacture of blades) and first world technological advance (without the Internet I'd have no information or avenue for purchase). For something so simple and antique, it's a global and hi-tech concern!

205 - Red Personna - Thank you Santa, my favorite blade.
16 - Astra SP
10 - Polsilver
10 - Chroma Diamant
8 - Gillette 7o'clock Yellow
5 - Gillette 7o'clock Green

2400 shark SS
500 Perma sharp
300 Racer I think this is Lord brand
300 GILLETTE goal
500 Astra SP
700 Astra SS
100 Rapira SS
80 feather
1100 SI

With some of you folks having a lifetime supply of blades sitting around ... is there any special storage advice? Like in a closed plastic container air tight sealed with some dry pouch in it? Out in the open, well ventilated at controlled temperature. Do some even have a special wine fridge modified to circulate a dash of Balistol every now and then over the blades, just kiddin'.

I have maybe 150 blades, mostly Feather , Astra SP and Personna Red, and a few left overs from an early stage sampler pack. I do feel the sudden urge to stock up, really. You never know how much snow we will get this year, if any... and then you can't get any delivery for weeks :scared:.

Foamy greetings
Icebear

Top Bottom