What's new

What's your best Earl Grey?

For years I depended on Upton Double Bergamot, but the last order I got was disappointing. Harney and Sons Earl Grey Supreme is nice enough and Stash Double Bergamot isn't terrible, but surely there's something better out there. Hit me with your favorite Earl Grey, hot, black.

I present to you the best Earl Grey on the market.

When making iced tea, I tend to use a couple of Stash double bergamot tea bags in the mix along with 4 black tea bags and 2 green tea bags. However, I like loose leaf teas for hot tea. I have been impressed with the quality of some of the teas by Vahdam Teas of India, but I have not yet tried their Earl Grey tea. I plan to pick up a bag in the future.

I may well be wrong, but I am not sure why anyone would add bergamot to a blend of Ceylon black tea and silver needle white tea. I do enjoy drinking silver needle tea from Yunnan and Fuding, but the flavor is quite delicate. By combining white tea with black tea and bergamot oil, the subtle flavors of the white tea would be overwhelmed. Thus, I do not see the point of the blend unless it is to provide some color contrast by adding a small amount of white tea. I cannot imagine the white tea contributes to the flavor profile.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Do you fellows find a lot of sediment in your Earl Grey tea? I use the Presidents choice store brand Earl grey and it is better than the Tetley tea brand for bergamot strength flavour but Tetley also gives sediment while steeping. I use a straining a filter to capture sediment that I do not want to digest.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This has been my favorite for some time:

This has been my favorite for some time:

I have had Dargeeling black tea picked during the 1st flush. It is wonderful with plenty of flavor to stand up to the addition of bergamot oil. I will have to add that one to my wish list.

I checked out the TeaGschwendner web site and learned they are in the Gold Coast area of Chicago. I have not been downtown in several years, but now that COVID seems to be letting up, perhaps I can make a visit. Thanks for the lead.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I should note: my wife is the tea aficionado in the family. I just order what she tells me to order. I don't really like most hot teas but I really do enjoy the Lord Bergamot tea... not actually an Earl Grey but different enough for my tastes.

I'm more of a coffee drinker. But not as hmmmmm let's just say, I'm not as refined at the people here who post on the coffee forums/threads.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a tin of Harney Pomegranate Oolong. I love most oolong teas and thought I might like this one. It is supposed to be made from Ti Quan Yin oolong with natural pomegranate flavor. Upon opening the tin, a very synthetic aroma floods the nostrils. While this aroma might have been derived from pomegranates, there seems to bea lot of processing involved. Although I love the flavor of a Dan Cong Ti Quan Yin, the cup brewed quite light in color and the pomegranate flavoring overwhelmed the flavor of the tea.

In general, I love scented teas like Jasmine, Osmanthus, and Magnolia, but with the exception of Earl Grey, many flavored teas are just too much. When buyers enter a tea shop, they try to sniff the teas. They are drawn to flavored teas because unscented and unflavored teas have very little aroma when the leaf is dry. It is only when the flavors are extracted by hot water that the true aromas of the teas emerge. This often leads buyers to overlook the better teas.

I present to you the best Earl Grey on the market.

Oddly, I never even considered Happy Mug for tea. I usually use Stash, but order green beans from HM when I am not placing a large order, so I'll have to try their oolong next time I order from them.

Fortnum and Mason is what the British staff at the manor I freelance at drink. At home I just buy Twinings. I drink a 8 cups of a 12 cup drip pot before 2pm and my day starts at 10. I have some Earl Gray around 4. When I would work there they would also ask if I wanted tea. They always looked at me oddly when I would ask to get a pour before they added the milk and sugar. It almost felt disrespectful to ask.

One high end club I worked at used Numi. I would snag one if I ran out of Twinings. It was good. I don't know if it was good enough for the price increase from Twinings.

I've tried a bunch and I just stick to Bigelow. It tastes as good as any other more expensive tea, it's available everywhere, it's priced right and it's made in the USA!
I like the Earl Grey but also like the English breakfast and American breakfast teas that they make.
The American breakfast blend has extra caffeine so it gives you a jolt that rivals coffee.

Top Bottom