What's new

What's roasting?

I'm drinking some Ethiopia Amaro Gayo natural, which is one of the best cups I have had this year. Berries, cocoa, and cream - complex and delicious.

Is this the DP from GCBC? I'm on the wait list for 10#.

Recently I roasted up some Uganda Organic Mbale Bugisu. I hit a nice City roast, and enjoyed a very nice sweet cup this morning. Not terribly complex, but still a good straight cup.

Is this the DP from GCBC? I'm on the wait list for 10#.

Recently I roasted up some Uganda Organic Mbale Bugisu. I hit a nice City roast, and enjoyed a very nice sweet cup this morning. Not terribly complex, but still a good straight cup.

It's the same coffee, just sourced through roastmasters. Great stuff.

Used more of my ethiopian coffee on the p3 setting at max time. I didn't preheat the roaster and it was a little windy outside, so I came out with a city roast. Very acidic, but very sweet with no bitterness. I'm not sure if I like it at p1 or p3 as they produce very different coffees. I want to try p3 with a preheat this time to see what happens. It'll take me another week to finish the coffee, so it'll be a while before I get to try the difference, but I'll post then. :thumbup1:

Used more of my ethiopian coffee on the p3 setting at max time. I didn't preheat the roaster and it was a little windy outside, so I came out with a city roast. Very acidic, but very sweet with no bitterness. I'm not sure if I like it at p1 or p3 as they produce very different coffees. I want to try p3 with a preheat this time to see what happens. It'll take me another week to finish the coffee, so it'll be a while before I get to try the difference, but I'll post then. :thumbup1:

I've noticed with my lighter roasts that I really don't care much for them the first 3 days post rest. Day 4 to day 10 is the best. I can't believe how much lighter roasts change over a short period of time. Darker roasts don't seem to change as drastically, and are very nice within a day or two after roasting.

I have to agree. Maybe it's the acidic nature of lighter blends??? I have no clue.

I actually gave away the rest of my previous batch, and tested out the preheat and measured out 1/2oz less than normal. It was a little darker, but only just got past 1st crack. Not even close to 2nd... <-- sounds like I'm talking about my latest crush =P

The manual that came with the behmor says to roast African beans on the P3 settings, or slow gradual changes in temperature. Can anyone tell me why the P3 setting are preferred with my ethiopian than on a P1 setting, which immediately goes to the maximum temperature?

It has to do with the fact that the lighter roast tastes more like the coffee and less like the roast.

The problem with that is that the coffee's flavor is comprised of aromatics.. many of them volatile.

As the coffee degasses, the carbon dioxide dissipates away. Carbon dioxide is also a binder for these volatile aromatics, which means that the flavor contained in the coffee is disappearing as the coffee ages. Sometimes for the better, though with enough time, definitely for worse.

A dark roast derives its flavor from the caramelization of pre-existing sugars as well as sugars (though not all sweet tasting) developed DURING the roast.. not to mention the flavors that the temperature imparts on the cellulose.

The dark roasted coffee degasses and takes with it.. volatile aromatics.. but different ones. The dominant flavor for a dark roast is the roast itself, and not the coffee. This means that while its characteristics do change over time, the change is insignificant by comparison.

The manual that came with the behmor says to roast African beans on the P3 settings, or slow gradual changes in temperature. Can anyone tell me why the P3 setting are preferred with my ethiopian than on a P1 setting, which immediately goes to the maximum temperature?

I wouldn't follow those instructions so closely. If the bean is denser, it can take a little more heat. If the bean is not so dense (almost all brasilian coffees), too much heat may result in tipping or scorching.

They may be referring to some lower density DP harrars or sidamas, though I can't really be sure.

I wouldn't do that with a great Kenyan, though. You'll never get to 1st crack!

Wow! So basically, the sweetness I enjoyed was from caramel and not the coffee. Talk about delusional! haha!

So would it be okay to assume that coffee should be consumed as a light roast?

It has to do with the fact that the lighter roast tastes more like the coffee and less like the roast.

The problem with that is that the coffee's flavor is comprised of aromatics.. many of them volatile.

As the coffee degasses, the carbon dioxide dissipates away. Carbon dioxide is also a binder for these volatile aromatics, which means that the flavor contained in the coffee is disappearing as the coffee ages. Sometimes for the better, though with enough time, definitely for worse.

A dark roast derives its flavor from the caramelization of pre-existing sugars as well as sugars (though not all sweet tasting) developed DURING the roast.. not to mention the flavors that the temperature imparts on the cellulose.

The dark roasted coffee degasses and takes with it.. volatile aromatics.. but different ones. The dominant flavor for a dark roast is the roast itself, and not the coffee. This means that while its characteristics do change over time, the change is insignificant by comparison.

Jason, thanks for all the great information! I look forward to your future posts as I still have so much to learn.

Two days ago I roasted the new Kenyan from Sweet Maria's to a very nice City roast. Here's a link to the Kenyan; http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.africa.kenya.php#KenyaAAKainamuiKirinyaga2010

This coffee had a cupping score of 93.9. According to Tom, "Strong brightness and sweetness, a brute of a Kenya... When we do the post-season Kenya wrap-up on the cupping table, I have a strong feeling this will be the powerhouse lot of all 2010."

I only snagged two pounds as I have so much coffee already, but I'm already thinking about getting more. This is day two of rest, and the coffee is incredibly sweet, with a very pronounced aftertaste. The coffee itself has an incredible effervescent quality to it, probably due to the extremely bright nature of the cup. I don't exactly taste or smell lemon anything with this coffee, but it's only day two of rest so we'll see. It's already dramatically different than it was yesterday.

Wow! So basically, the sweetness I enjoyed was from caramel and not the coffee. Talk about delusional! haha!

So would it be okay to assume that coffee should be consumed as a light roast?

I think it depends on the coffee and on your personal preference.

Personally, yes.. most coffee should be enjoyed at a lighter roast. There isn't necessarily a "right" or "wrong", as long as coffee is being enjoyed and farmers are able to sell their crops.

That having been said, if it's the coffee that you want to taste, a lighter roast is absolutely the way to go. It should be noted, however, that not every coffee is of the same quality, and there are some situations in which a darker roast can help mask a few off flavors.

Hahaha! "Mask a few flavors," I like that!

I must say, I've never tasted "fruity" coffee until now.

I think it depends on the coffee and on your personal preference.

Personally, yes.. most coffee should be enjoyed at a lighter roast. There isn't necessarily a "right" or "wrong", as long as coffee is being enjoyed and farmers are able to sell their crops.

That having been said, if it's the coffee that you want to taste, a lighter roast is absolutely the way to go. It should be noted, however, that not every coffee is of the same quality, and there are some situations in which a darker roast can help mask a few off flavors.

Ethiopian Amaro Gayo Natural roasted to city using the P4 curve on the Behmor.

It's been three days, and no sign of blueberry. I'm also not seeing the hype at all. I'll chalk it up to inexperience, and maybe next time I'll love it. So far, this has nothing on the Kenyan Kainamui Kirinyaga I just had.

Anyone want to share how they prefer roasting this particular Ethiopian?

Ethiopian Amaro Gayo Natural roasted to city using the P4 curve on the Behmor.

It's been three days, and no sign of blueberry. I'm also not seeing the hype at all. I'll chalk it up to inexperience, and maybe next time I'll love it. So far, this has nothing on the Kenyan Kainamui Kirinyaga I just had.

Anyone want to share how they prefer roasting this particular Ethiopian?

Weird. I roasted it recently, and it was a fruit bomb. This was a City roast, slow and easy progression in the Hottop, about 14 minutes total. There is a lot of cocoa in there also, which I could see might prevail at darker roast notes. I have my thermoprobe measurements if you want to take a gander.

I thought this was one of the best coffees I have had in a while. Try it again and see.

Weird. I roasted it recently, and it was a fruit bomb. This was a City roast, slow and easy progression in the Hottop, about 14 minutes total. There is a lot of cocoa in there also, which I could see might prevail at darker roast notes. I have my thermoprobe measurements if you want to take a gander.

I thought this was one of the best coffees I have had in a while. Try it again and see.

Must have been an uneven roast for some reason, as today some beans had oil on them! Tiny, tiny amounts, but still. I figured I had pooched the roast and so yesterday roasted up another half lb. batch, but only this time with the P1 profile and stopped it while I still heard a few snaps of 1st crack. Seemed like it ended at around the same time as my P4 roast- a city roast, but i tried this one today and it is much much better. The Kenyan I had before this seems extremely top-heavy by comparison as this is such a balanced coffee while still managing to be really bright and sweet. It's good coffee, and I'm looking forward to how it develops as it rests.

Must have been an uneven roast for some reason, as today some beans had oil on them! Tiny, tiny amounts, but still. I figured I had pooched the roast and so yesterday roasted up another half lb. batch, but only this time with the P1 profile and stopped it while I still heard a few snaps of 1st crack. Seemed like it ended at around the same time as my P4 roast- a city roast, but i tried this one today and it is much much better. The Kenyan I had before this seems extremely top-heavy by comparison as this is such a balanced coffee while still managing to be really bright and sweet. It's good coffee, and I'm looking forward to how it develops as it rests.

Tried the Amaro Gayo Natural again today and I got blueberries! I finally got it in a coffee, and it is exceptional. Good stuff. ph33nyx reminded me that I have quite a bit of the Brazil Moreninha stashed so I'm going to go roast that for a City+ as well.

A few days of rain kept me from my typical roast schedule. Ran out and had to slum it with sincha for the past three mornings. It was certainly not unpleasant and gave me the time to give the Cona a proper cleaning but i"m really looking forward to coffee tomorrow. Roasted two batches of dry process Yirg today. I love this coffee. Blueberry in spades. I'm nearing the end of a 5# bag and kicking myself for not ordering 10 more from Sweet Marias when I realized how much I liked it and they still had some. Oh well...

I'm writing this with a double shot of Sweet Marias New Classic Espresso Blend next to me. This is one of my favorite espressos - definitely something you should try. Deep cocoa and just enough brightness; perfect roasted to Full City.

Top Bottom